navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The Twins
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Twins Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2001-09-13 12:33 PM

Should the towers be rebuilt?

© Copyright 2001 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
1 posted 2001-09-13 07:46 AM

I don't think they should try to rebuild there for its original purpose, but maybe it would have to be re-built out of necessity. I would like to see a memorial built there someday instead.
Then again, re-building the towers would show the world that we are not afraid, that life as we know it will continue.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-10-03 03:57 PM

I just plopped down here from the archives. And I wanted to say, one of the great things about you, Sen, is your intellect and intelligence and always questing mind.

Looking at these posts, I see that, even when in chains of the body,
your mind is always ferreting out the corners,
searching information,
drinking soul's fill.

I love that about you.

Mike

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2002-10-03 07:19 PM

It seems to me that a lot of the major corporations effected by the collapse of the twin towers were forced to pick up their pieces and move on.  It is unlikely that these and other corporations cannot function without the towers.  

However, as obvious as that may seem, I have still only responded with regard to one of the major practical purposes of the towers.  I recall hearing them referred to as being symbols of capitalism.  I suppose then that the question in light of this may need to be rephrased as "should we create another symbol of capitalism?"  What was the significance of the towers?  Why would we want to rebuild them?  

I personally think that, unless it were absolutely necesarry it would be a colossal waste of time.  We are a capitalist society.  Will the rebuilding of the towers produce any benefit as far as economic power as concerned?  Other than the acquisition of monetary and financial power, nothing jumps out at me as being any sort of major pursuit of the people of our society.  What use have we for symbols?

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

[This message has been edited by fractal007 (10-03-2002 07:21 PM).]

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2002-10-04 11:46 AM

The people who worked in the towers were not the only people affected by the attack.  Businesses in the surrounding areas, some open for decades, have been forced to close because, as was mentioned previously, businesses have relocated to other areas (most to Jersey).  If you owned a restaurant in Manhattan that saw a 90% decline in patrons, would that change your opinion (assuming you are against a rebuild)?

The loss of the buildings has a ripple effect on the economy, and the economy is important.  I would be supportive of a tasteful and reasonable memorial for those who lost their lives on 9/11, but it makes no sense to me to NOT put prime real estate to its highest and best use.

Jim

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2002-10-04 01:25 PM

"It seems to me that a lot of the major corporations effected by the collapse of the twin towers were forced to pick up their pieces and move on.  It is unlikely that these and other corporations cannot function without the towers."

That's my point exactly without actually being the point luvie...

Financially? It's not a concern.

But? to re-define the question? Should we re-build as SYMBOL of our endurance, or? are we just tempting to be a target? And further? IF WE ARE? What's to stop the demolition of all of "symbols"--would we replace the Statue of Liberty?

grin...even if it took a grass roots campaign, y'bet yer arse we would...

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2002-10-04 02:34 PM

No. Not the 'towers'...the huge gigantic towers.

But there should be an office building complex, with a memorial in front of it. Not nearly as tall. Not a target. But a symbol. You knock us down, we stand back up and fight.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

7 posted 2002-10-04 06:51 PM

I do not believe building a multi-billion dollar symbol of defiance would be an intelligent thing to do.  

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
8 posted 2002-10-05 02:50 AM

But building an office building in downtown Manhattan makes lots of sense.

Jim

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
9 posted 2002-10-05 01:32 PM

Sure, we should make an office building.  Obviously the world trade needs a centre.

Let's just hope the architects aren't so braindead as to replicate Mecca in any way, shape or form... or use any form of Islamic design whatsoever.  Just look where that brought us...

It's important to keep in mind the real reason the World Trade Center was targeted, of course.  It won't be targeted again if we refrain from mocking their religion this time.

And hey, maybe if we stop dropping bombs all over their country, we could start making progress.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The Twins

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary