navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Near Death Experiences
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Near Death Experiences Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario

0 posted 2000-11-19 07:15 PM

There are many, many people that claim they have have had a N.D.E.  Has anyone here at Passions ever had one and what is your theory behind this incredible phenomenon.

If you are completely and clinically dead, I don't believe this could be explained by the brain releases some sort of chemical through the body which would cause the "dream" or "floating" experience to a white light and being able to see yourself in the death scene. Though there are many differences in how people felt at that moment their soul left their body, there are far more similarities.
Regardless of geography,race,religion, or personal beliefs.

As most of you know here, I am an "obsessive" on  life after death and psychic abilities.  So, tell me your theory on NDE and any experiences you may have had.

Thanks,
Marina

© Copyright 2000 Marina Crossley - All Rights Reserved
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
1 posted 2000-11-20 09:58 AM

Marina,
My grandfather was never afraid of death after he had a NDE during surgery when I was just a baby.  
His heart stopped for a very long time and they thought he was gone.
He surprised the doctors by coming back and later told them what he saw and heard them doing while he was "dead".
He told his family about the floating sensation and rising above his body toward a brilliant light.  He said that he knew there were loved ones waiting beyond the light and that he really wanted to go there too.

I have been hearing this story all my life and I believe it is true!  He was always a very honest and hardworking man with no reason to make up a story such as this.

My grandfather went on to live about 25 years longer after his NDE.

14 years ago years ago, I had just given birth to my daughter.  We lived far away from my grandparents and though he wasn't one to call or write, he became obsessed with the idea of my bringing the baby for a visit.  He called many times in one week, telling me about airline specials, really wanting me to come visit!  I finally did make arrangements and two days before my flight, he had a stroke and was put on life support.
I came as soon as I could and when I saw him hooked up to all those tubes I was shocked.  The doctors told us that although he had suffered brain damage, he would live this way for a long time. Physically he was stable and expected to respond to treatment. His brain though, was not dead, Not really alive.

I whispered in his ear these words that I will never forget telling him.

"Grandpa let go"

Then I told him how much we all loved him, that I was there with him, that the baby was here too. I told him that I knew he didn't want to be here like this, living, but not alive, and that he should reach for the light.

Even now, I can't believe that I actually told my grandfather to die.

The next morning, we got a call from the hospital.
Grandpa had died.

And though he had been expected to live for quite some time in this state, I believe he heard me and only wanted validation, our blessings, before dying.

Just wanted to share my experience with you!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-11-20 12:06 PM

I was married.

That was SCARY!!!

Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
3 posted 2000-11-20 12:16 PM

For her or you Christopher??    LOL
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2000-11-20 03:21 PM

YES!
Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
5 posted 2000-11-21 08:35 AM

Umm, i was almost run over by three city buses in one day. DO you think that means something??? My friend Tiph pulled me back into the crowd though. Never go to cincinnati.

I can't see at all. Even if I could it would all be gray, put your picture on my wall, it reminds me that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.

Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
Over the river and through the woods
6 posted 2000-11-21 03:56 PM

Allysa:

"All is strange and vague. "
"Are we dead?"
"Or is this Ohio?"

(LOVE the Animaniacs ...)

On a serious note: I KNOW that people have psychic/clairvoyant occurrences. I’d have to, they’ve been MY experiences.

Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
7 posted 2000-11-28 10:04 PM

Thanks everyone for replying and sharing.

Debbie and Elizabeth, I would love to hear more about you experiences if you would to e-mail me...I would really apprecaite it!  

Marina

It is a blessing to have wings for words, and passion in pen
Marina Crossley

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

8 posted 2000-11-29 12:10 PM

I have never had an NDE, but I do have a theory on what they may be.

Scientists still don't know a lot about the brain.  But they do know that the brain can act rather strangly when it is not given enough oxygen.  It is possible that NDEs are nothing more than halucinations resulting from lack of oxygen to the brain.

But perhaps I am wrong.  I have not studied the subject of NDEs very much.

Tony Abbot
since 2000-11-18
Posts 209
North Wales,UK
9 posted 2000-11-29 08:32 AM

Recently,two British doctors launched an investigation into NDE's.They made a study of 63 heart attack victims,who had survived.9% claimed that they left their body and saw a white light etc.

What was interesting is that sceptics normally say that they must have been oxygen starved when the attack happened,however the doctors were monitoring the oxygen levels,and none were short of oxygen when the attack happened.The other reason sceptics give is that the experience was induced by drugs they were taking.But the doctors monitored all drug intake,and all took the same amount.

'Humankind cannot bear too much reality' T.S.Eliot

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Near Death Experiences

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary