navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Danny's Late Night on Route 22
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic Danny's Late Night on Route 22 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows

0 posted 2003-06-01 12:29 PM

A century ago
he would have been an outlaw;
but Danny was a biker,
a modern city cowboy
dealing in the rock
and rolling with the flow
of modern times.
He never meant to do another person harm;
all he wanted was the time to feel
the wind on his chest,
enough change in his pocket
to tell the world to screw itself,
but not with him.

His mama always thought of him as little Danny;
she'd pray because she knew
he was a little different
than she wanted him to be;
he kept his whores and deals
his guns and drugs
where they wouldn't do her harm,
told her that he loved her
that she was his favorite mom,
she believed and knew
he'd never hurt another.
If only the police
would leave her little Danny
to work out his little problems
on his own.

Jamming down the highway
on his sled last Friday night,
he was Dealin' Dan
the Peruvian Man
and everything was tight;
wired to the nines
he saw the juicehead run the light,
though pissed about the damage
like a pro he laid her down,
he never saw the cars behind him
only felt their lights;
the drivers didn't stop to ask
whose life they scattered
on the highway
like feathers on the wind;
little Danny's mama
doesn't have to worry anymore.

©2003 by icebox

© Copyright 2003 icebox - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2003-06-01 12:48 PM

icebox

a hard story, so well told.  I understand the pain of his mother, the sad fact that death happens even with the wind blowing.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2003-06-01 01:08 AM

'He never meant to do another person harm;
all he wanted was the time to feel
the wind on his chest,
enough change in his pocket
to tell the world to screw itself,
but not with him.'

Still readin'.  Still lovin' it.  

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
3 posted 2003-06-01 01:13 AM

Martie ~ Yes it was a sad thing.  I finished this tonight after ten years of picking it up and putting it down.  I do not mean to be depressing here.  I had a brother much younger than I; they were friends, so I remember this person as a little boy, kind and gentle, always laughing, always full of mischief.  It is true he grew up to be a criminal in all the senses of the word, but I always thought it ironic that he died the way he did.

Thank you for reading this and for your comment.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
4 posted 2003-06-01 01:14 AM

Duncan ~ thank you for reading my poem.  I am glad it has value for you.
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2003-06-01 02:15 AM

loving your stories
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2003-06-01 03:37 AM

OH, this one upended an old memory, losing a friend on an LA freeway in a 'just-lay-it-down-and-let-it-slide' routine. I can barely even begin that story.
But you told this in a very tender and sensitive way.
thanking you, again

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
7 posted 2003-06-01 07:15 AM

Wow! That's a sad story. I have to say it pulled me right in from the very first verse.
I think there's a lot of experience talking in this piece.....Love the biker lingo.

Saw a program on the history channel about a biker in Sydney Australia called "Animal" who went the route of most bikers and had his fun in the sun. However, now that he's older he's still into biking and hangs around out in front of an old hotel with quite a history in downtown Sydney. What he's into now days is getting the local restaurants to give him the food they would normally throw out at the end of the day and he turns it over to the homeless. He's organized quite a group to help him do this. Like he said "where are the govt departments that could do so much so simply if they just paid attention to the needs of the common man"......He's got a point..... Amazing the many changes a person can go through in a lifetime......I thought his story was a good one all the way around.
Regards

Eric

The best teachers have the biggest ears

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
8 posted 2003-06-01 09:25 AM

Oh, so sad!  I am a substitute teacher at two high schools.  This school year, I cannot tell you how many times the we had to assemble counselors for the students due to deaths of children in auto accidents.  I live in an area here in St. Louis where cars and cruising is a weekend thing for the kids.  (I did the drag racing thing, too, when I was young, burning rubber and doin' doughnuts).  Now it is hopping hills.  These kids I teach are like my own.  And I can't take it when I turn on the news and I find one of my kids have been killed, racing or hopping.  

Yes, Danny is in a better place.  And he provides here such a lesson.  If you don't mind, when I hear my kids at school talking about their weekend of racing, I am going to share with them your story of Danny.  Would that be OK with you?

I love your writing.

Patricia

PS...I don't have my own kids today. So, I might be reading quite a bit!

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
9 posted 2003-06-01 10:03 AM

Icebox, seems like this story is hitting
home with a lot of people today.

My brother has owned motorcycles since he was young. He loves them. I used to ride, but nothing like he did. I always worry about him. I have three very good friends who have lifetime injuries from having accidents on their motorcycles. They can be a lot of fun, but a lot of danger, too.

You told this very well, and had us right there looking on. Thank you
Hugs  
Ethel

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (06-01-2003 10:04 AM).]

paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.
10 posted 2003-06-01 10:12 AM

If there ain't no Harleys in heaven I don't want to go there.

paladin

....a knight without armor

ljossberir
since 2003-05-04
Posts 81
Ny, USA
11 posted 2003-06-01 12:39 PM

Icebox -
quite beautiful & powerful write here
it's hard to tell a true-to-life story in verse, let alone do it so eloquently...
No one could ask for more than this... exquisite work, congrats!
-matt

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
12 posted 2003-06-01 01:22 PM

passing shadows ~ I am happy that you enjoy my work (but beware of old men telling stories *grin* ),

Midnitesun ~ I regret bringing up a difficult memory for you .  You seem to have had a hard enough night as it is.  Thank you for reading my poem and for sharing your comment.

ethome ~ To lend a hand and elevate only one person lifts us all.  Thank you for reading my poem and for sharing that story.

Patricia ~ The young are immortal and indestructible - until they are not.  Of course you may share this poem.  Thank you for reading it and for your comments.

garysgirl ~ *smile* I have three bad disks ( center punched - can't be fixed ) and four collapsing vertebrae; I have bad knees and my eyes no longer line up exactly even.  Not all of that was exclusively from bikes, but one of the disks, two of the vertebrae and the bad knees were a gift from a "55" Hardtail Panhead; the eye thing happened on a rice rocket which I crashed in Rosewell, New Mexico.  ( I get a kick out of telling people I crashed in Rosewell. ) On cold rainy mornings, I am not thrilled with this stuff, but I did have a lot of fun.
Thank you for reading and for your comments.

paladin ~ *laugh* If god's riding something better than a Harley I sure hope she's got an extra one of whatever it is for me!  Thanks for reading and for your comment.

ljossberir ~ Thank you for reading my poem and for your very kind comment.

[This message has been edited by icebox (06-01-2003 01:24 PM).]

22NICK22
since 2003-05-29
Posts 54

13 posted 2003-06-02 08:23 PM

Icebox
From the cellar
Of the ice age
From the coldest of cold winters
Tell us more of your story...

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
14 posted 2003-06-02 11:54 PM

22NICK22 ~ I appreciate your interest.  I post what I know, what I feel, what I recall, what I have lived, what I can tell within the boundaries of this community.  Thank you for reading my poem.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Danny's Late Night on Route 22

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary