navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » A Soldier Son
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Soldier Son Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gina Culliney
since 2003-03-08
Posts 170

0 posted 2003-05-02 11:09 PM

A Soldier Son

I carried him for nine months inside of me, and
made sure he was safe, protected,and fed. As a carin
mother must always be.

You called him one day to a hostile land so far away.  Far from my loving arms, you commanded he must stay and as an American boy turned soldier, he gladly obeyed.

Who will feed my son now, except the earth worms swarming to feast on him as he lays still, silent,
and cold upon this foriegn war torn ground?

Who will craddle my son's head?  Kiss his cheek?  Comfort and hold his trembling bloody hand as your
medics condemn and shroud him in blackness to rest among his fellow patriots dead?

You dare send me a written letter and briefly describe his soldier's fate?  Tell me now, who is the real enemy an American mother should truely hate?

You commend my sacrifice and assure me his body is homeward bound.  I already knew my greatest sacrifice, as an American, when I concieved a son and placed my hand upon that fleshy sacred mound.

I gave him to you whole, this true American son,  my constant pride and ultimate joy.  You gladly took him from me and turned him into an instant soldier boy.

The holes in his body.  His limbs broken, gone, bleeeding and torn.  Are the price every American mother must pay to her country when a son is born.

I do not want this particualr piece taken out of its context. It is dedicated to all the mother's who have sacrificed their sons or daughters for the greater good of all mankind to keep us free as a nation.  Lest we all forget the true human sacrifice behind each and every war.  It is so easy to sit in our comfortable homes, where ever we are and spout out rhetoric for or against it. I have a six month old son and I know each day he grows older that call of our nation may be his one day.  My adoptive daughter has already answered her nations call and shortly may be deployed.  In these uncertain times, perhaps it is good we reflect on what is really important or not, as a nation, and just as plain simple human beings.  Just a few thoughts to share with my fellow poets and writer's.

© Copyright 2003 Gina Culliney - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2003-05-02 11:18 PM

Your empathy was so well expressed, that I thought that this was your own personal experience. I am relieved to know that it is not--but unfortunately, there are many mothers whose sons and daughters have been lost. Very moving poetry.

Peace, Love & Light,
Earth Angel

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
2 posted 2003-05-03 11:25 AM

Gina, A very beautiful write.A tribute to our lost soldiers, and the loss thier families feel.Nice job.
Jason

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-05-03 11:35 AM

Gina, thank you for the
thoughtful share,
and the kind and honest words
which followed
this mother's prayer...

tell your stepdaughter
Thank You
from a grateful citizen...

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2003-05-03 05:53 PM

Yes...how terrible it must be to lose a loved one...especially a young son or daughter...whether to a war, a car accident, a deadly disease, natural causes or in any manner...
I remember when my son was serving in Albania and that was one of the few times my ex-wife contacted me about our son...worried as I was for his safety...it is a very uncomfortable feeling to have a child in a place of danger...where anything, even death is possible...James

Gina Culliney
since 2003-03-08
Posts 170

5 posted 2003-06-16 09:26 PM

Earth Angel, Jason, Sunshine, James.
thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words.  Was a little down when I wrote this piece and it is good to have fellow writer friends around to vent to.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
6 posted 2003-06-17 02:07 AM

It is so easy to sit in our comfortable homes, where ever we are and spout out rhetoric for or against it

The above statement is one that I fully beleive in with all my heart.

You have woven a beautiful peice of art through your words.  So many of us with young sons feel this terror as we watch them grow. Though we want them to be brave and strong if they are called to defend our country....secretly we pray that they never receive those orders.

All we can do is love them now with all that we have, for we never know what tomorrow brings.

I LOVED THIS PEICE!!
Thank you for sharing it with us!

Tima C.

If you cant get rid of the skeletons in your closet, you'd best teach them how to dance.  George Bernard Shaw

topsyturveychick
since 2003-01-19
Posts 57
Bris,QLD,Aus
7 posted 2003-06-18 12:14 PM

A trully moving piece. My brother is in the Australian Army...and I never want to lose him. I really enjoyed reading this poem. Thankyou.

I asked God how much he loved me...
He said this much...
And streched out his arms and Died.

**Sunshine**

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » A Soldier Son

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary