navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » The Tenants
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Tenants Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass

0 posted 2003-02-12 11:42 PM

The Tenants

Tenants
Took the lightbulbs,
Leaving the usual:
Paper, cans, a tire; but somehow,
This boat....

© Copyright 2003 Ed Ratledge - All Rights Reserved
the_loner_23
Member Ascendant
since 2002-06-08
Posts 5479
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
1 posted 2003-02-12 11:43 PM

LOL This poem is so true

Cold hands means a warm heart

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2003-02-13 12:19 PM

Ed...it's interesting what is important..maybe the boat had nothing to take it to the water...so why?  
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
3 posted 2003-02-13 01:13 AM

I guess it's all about what's important to you at the time..... lightbulbs or boats....

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2003-02-13 02:47 AM

Maybe they forgot?

I'm sure it's perfectly reasonable to nick off with the lightbulbs and leave your pleasure craft behind

Blabbermouth K - as usual - has suggestions.

I really like this you know. I'm a BIG fan of short, minimalistic poetry (good poetry that is). Now, as your poem is only 5 lines I think you should tidy the format up so it's just short, sharp and in your face.

To do this I recommend - dumping the initial caps. Cutting down your punctuation. Changing the word but to and as it makes more grammatical sense.

End result ala K:

Tenants
took the lightbulbs
leaving the usual:
paper, cans, a tire, and somehow
this boat

Punctuation: There's absolutely no need of the ellipses at the end. The semi-colon after tire is too bulky - and grammatically incorrent as semi's are used to divide two whole sentences. The comma after lightbulbs is unnecessary. The colon after usual works well in terms of space, sound and pace - as do the list-commas in the fourth line.

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (02-13-2003 02:52 AM).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2003-02-13 07:51 AM

Lifeboats
Without lightbulbs
Afloat in sea's darkness
Lest paddles kept in oarlocks hold
Adrift

winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
6 posted 2003-02-13 08:24 AM

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this poem. Here's my suggestion.

ten
ants
took
the
light
bulbs
leaving
the
usual
paper
cans
a
tire
but
some
how
this
boat

Now, the question is, is this still your poem or is it mine? It's got to be mine because it is markedly different from yours.

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, & incumbency.
--G. "DUBYA" BUSH. June 14, 2001. Unaware of rolling TV camera.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-02-13 09:06 AM

Well... It's no longer a cinquain for sure... But I do believe it's still Ed's...
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
8 posted 2003-02-13 09:32 AM

Yo Severn -- thank you! I'm going to do exactly that, and look for it as a possibility in other things I'm writing.

In fact, I'm going to print it out and tape it to my monitor for about a week as punishment for being sloppy.

Hi, Nan, Hi, winston -- Interesting pick-ups on my little poem. I wonder if we could chain these things like we do with choka and haiku....

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
9 posted 2003-02-13 10:34 AM

Ratleader - some light bulbs for a boat, I'll take it....

BC

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
10 posted 2003-02-13 12:39 PM

Yeah, Ed, what Bill said......
About the gang-chain, tell me again how this form is done......okay? If some of ya'll don't tell me, I certainly won't know how.....

Ethel  

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
11 posted 2003-02-13 01:24 PM

Enjoyed both yours and Winston's Tenants and ten ants... never know what they'll take or leave behind.
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
12 posted 2003-02-13 01:26 PM

Ed - words to ponder that's for certain. Enjoyed this. Chris

"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
that perches in the soul....

-Emily Dickinson

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
13 posted 2003-02-13 01:48 PM

It's pretty straightforward, but like haiku it does take a bit of practice to get confident with it (except for folks like Martie and DrMoose, who shazammed it on their first try)....

Practically speaking, here's what I do -- of course all this is what I USUALLY do, what I aim for. It's different with every one, natch, and none of it is mandatory. Best rule is, do what the poem needs, not what the form needs.

I start with a clear picture in my head of a single thing I want to say or describe.

I go over words and phrases, looking for ones that make me go "Aha!" about it. When I've got that in my head, I write down the most striking pair of syllables that say what I'm going to talk about. It's most effective if I can come up with something that's highly visual, but not absolutely necessary. I couldn't do that in this poem, but it came out ok.

Now I've got four syllables to expand on it and, if I'm lucky, show the reader a nice sharp picture. That can be a challenge, but if I wasn't able to do it at the start, I try really hard to do it here. Most often I've got a head start on it from my ruminations in the first couple of steps.

Now it's time for action. Third line almost always shows something moving, changing, growing, a feeling being created, that kind of thing. That's especially important if I didn't have movement as part of line two.

The eight syllable line comes next, and it's the best place to build toward the climax. If I'm talking about feelings, here's where I describe 'em and expand on 'em. If I'm talking about things, like I was in this one, here's where I put in extra details that get ready for the finish.

Speaking of finish, I've got two syllables to work with, and that means the end has to be a KABOOM. I either tie it back to the beginning, or say something climactic that leads the reader to think more about what I've been saying, or something important that I haven't said: "A boat?? What? Why? Who would....."

Now comes the most important step: Forget all this and GO WRITE. That's what really I do. You'll be surprised how naturally these "steps" just seem to happen, and the organization works out this way on its own. Ms. Crapsey designed it to work that way, and it does. She was one of the greatest experts on metrics and short verse who ever lived.

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
14 posted 2003-02-13 03:08 PM

Thanks.......
I went back to the workshop and read some of the threads back there. That's how I knew you had answered. This looks like it's as much fun as Senryu and Haiku. I still don't have those absolutely perfect, but I sure do like to try.  
Ethel

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » The Tenants

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary