navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » Mr. President
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mr. President Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska

0 posted 2003-02-09 06:22 AM

Mr. President

I saw you on tv today
forbidding medical cloning.
Man shouldn’t be playing God you said,
creating lifes for the Creator.
Excuse me sir,enlighten me please,
if what you say is true.
I just can’t seem to figure out,
what gives you the right to take it?

Live like it's your last day...
Dance like nobody's watching...
Love like you've never been hurt...

[This message has been edited by bbent (02-09-2003 06:39 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Ray Conley - All Rights Reserved
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
1 posted 2003-02-09 06:33 AM

AMEN !!!
bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
2 posted 2003-02-09 06:43 AM

Thank you Lady...getting late here maybe time to get off my box and back in it.lol

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
3 posted 2003-02-09 06:45 AM

just got off work myself (the sheriff dept never closes lol) so a few reads before shift starts again at 545 argggggg... and stay on that box
Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
4 posted 2003-02-09 06:55 AM

Oh, truer words were never spoken, and I'm sure they are on the lips and in the hearts of the majority.  You shed light on the dual theories of the US policies, and did it extremely well!!!

A truly happy person is one who
can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-02-09 01:44 PM

Love your take on this theme.

Henri Bardo
since 2002-10-15
Posts 11
State of suspended inanimate
6 posted 2003-02-09 07:38 PM

The hypocrisy is astounding, the low esteem in which we, the people's intelligence is held disconcerting.
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2003-02-09 11:45 PM

...oh, good one!

Valentine hugs,
EA

bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
8 posted 2003-02-10 12:19 PM

Thanks again Lady,as well as Sunny,Kacy and Henri...seems the technology's there to save or extend alot of human life.To watch Bubba standing there arms folded dictating morals rather than giving his temporary subjects there own God given right to decide irked me just a bit.Yes his Iraq policy also crossed my mind and if recent polls really mean anything more Americans disagree with him daily.Last I saw 60+% don't feel Iraq's a immediate threat with about 30% agreeing with him.It's sad he chooses to dictate rather than serve which he was supposedly elected to do.Then again if the popular vote were truly the deciding factor in the last election he would't even be president.Thanks for taking the time to read and your replies...Thank you also Earth Angel,you slipped in there while I was busy raving.lol

[This message has been edited by bbent (02-10-2003 12:24 AM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
9 posted 2003-02-10 02:37 AM

very good point!
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
10 posted 2003-02-10 07:27 AM

"..no immediate threat"....?

So, we wait for another Pearl Harbor, and then 'do something'...

So, we wait until more of our cities are bombed with our own airplanes and then 'do something'

We can't prove they (the enemy) are all in cahoots with one another.RIGHT!
We can't prove how much we ARE hated. And can't prove they, the enemy, wants every American dead. Does the middle eastern countries want America, or just every one of us to pray to their God, bowing three times daily. I noticed America allows everyone here to practice their own religion, do you really think that will happen when 'they' take over?  

So we skim the fat off of our own crop of live fetuses through abortion, after we have sucked their brains out,  killing our own babies ~LIVE~, mind you, to promote healing of known diseases saving the walking talking humans with the bloody litter of ones who can't speak up for their rights...
Might as well do something with those tortured souls....besides just hope they make it back to God, the Creator, brainless, if you will...

(How big is a soul, I wonder...can it be measured) in a chemistry dish???

Or, don't babies grown in dishes have souls, so therefore we don't have to worry about what ~God thinks~ anyways?

The immediate threat is accusing the President of the United States of being a dictator.

Because, I do not see one of the protestors, or ANY voted in president, capable of doing a better job.

The immediate threat is not knowing or understanding, God, the Creator.

The day is coming soon, when HE will say to the American cowards who wear blinders and expect something for nothing, thinking, magically we are always protected and have grown to believe we cannot be attacked, subconsciously thinking, God, the Creator will protect us, such lovely people, when He may not be there for us, as in the past. New York, an example!

Ignorance lies in those who insist the Unites States of America is the bully, rather than the defender.

Sadly, God may grant all you protestors your wishes for non-war...
and when you have not even the right to pray as you wish and to whom you wish, when you live in bombed out houses and see your neighbors and children walking around with flesh falling from their bones and eyeballs hanging on cheeks...remember your world peace stance, and remember why wishing it into existence doesn't work when you'll dealing with ghouls(true Godless people) who cannot be talked into 'peace'. Sometimes, you have to be a better one...ruthless, hard, determined to fight for freedom some claim we don't have anyways...

Yes, our politicians are ruthless, but, what part do you think this God, the Creator played in it. None?

You don't think God is alive and acts?

America should wake up....but, not to politics, ...to respect of God, the Creator, Our God, not theirs!!!

....instead of spitting in HIS face....

there are many Gods.... that is the immediate threat.... that my God lets you have what you want...freedom from God....and any precepts He laid down...pretending He is simply love and peace and non-violence

tra-la-la-la-la....

Welcome to reality. He is alive!!!

And, I hope He doesn't give you what you claim you want.... He can't make anyone, especially true dictator's love Him, again, when in fact they love and honor and bow to a different God....

Sure, let us just talk some sense into them. RIGHT! Let us pretend everyone has a democratic brain. RIGHT! Let us pretend there are no living ghouls. RIGHT!

Let us pretend there is no God who needs to be honored. RIGHT!

let us pretend...you tell that to New York....and to every living and dead and wish they were dead, Veteran of the United States of America....

let us pretend there is only one God, the Creator and the WHOLE WORLD worships HIM....

let us pretend and see what happens..

there is no immediate threat....right!

There is always an immediate threat.

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

[This message has been edited by regards2you (02-10-2003 08:24 AM).]

bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
11 posted 2003-02-10 08:55 PM

Regards2You...appreciate you taking the time to voice an opinion.I feel thats the way to understanding.Quickly I didn't mean to imply the U.S is a dictatorship.It could become one if a frightened citizenship were to blindly accept what it were fed by it's elected officials without question.It's our responsibility to keep it free.I'm not going to claim to be a spokesman for or even understand God.I believe thats an individuals right and responsibility also and should not be denied.I  may not agree with your our God ,their God veiws,however I respect your right to have them.I fear for innocent Iraq families that don't have the rights and knowledge we do.There slaughter will not prevent terrorism,history should teach that.Somehow I can't picture the Christians Christ were he in human form today driving around with a bumpersticker reading"I'd walk 5000 miles to smoke a camel".I can't see any of the other great spiritual teachers be they Muslems,or whatever doing the same.I can see twisted leaders like Bin Laden,old Sadam,who can't even stay in the same bed for more than a few hours because of fear of assination and even some western leaders twisting there teachings to suit there own agendas.That's just my oppinion,you have a right to yours.I'm glad we can voice them without killing each other.I simply feel dialog,patience and understanding are a more effective vehicle towards peace than destuction and wan't to encourage others to have and voice a opinion of there own.I Thankyou again for taking the time to reply.

[This message has been edited by bbent (02-10-2003 08:59 PM).]

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
12 posted 2003-02-11 05:31 AM

Your opinions incite me and ignorance of reality is disgusting. As you can see, voicing opinions freely does NOT lead to peace and understanding, even among ourselves.  

Putting Bin Laden, Sadam and western leaders all in the same paragraph and category with their twisted thinking and teaching and private agendas cause me to want to line up all protestors for the first hits of anthrax and biological weapons when they hit the United States and Canada's shores.

I think the millions of Jewish people who got killed by Hitler was horrible.
Shall we wait again?

If we do try to reason with insanity this time it will be multi-millions of Americans.  I feel extremely sorry for Iraq's countrymen. They are powerless, not stupid, nor uninformed.

Do I think (God) Christ, who died a hideous death with a crown of thorns chewing into his bloody scalp and nails driven thr. bloody hands as He hung on a tree until dead would say to a group of **heathens (**look it up in the dictionary),  go be free and worship, honor and bow down to any god you choose, I declare heaven on earth....nope, I don't think so.....

By you protesting, you are keeping our leaders from becoming Dictators?

Oh, right! It is the people like me who would take up arms to prevent that from happening.....how about you?

You are probably part of the group wanting to disarm every American, I'll bet!

Just your mouth is going to do it?
All the mouthing in the country didn't prevent Bush from becoming president, did it?

No, you would throw flowers around and insist on talking it through among yourselves while like a thief in the night you will be stripped of any kind of freedom you have ever known.

It is a dog eat dog world whether anyone likes it or not; this is not heaven on earth but the United States of America comes close compared to any other nation and freedom and keeping it has taken a lot of blood not breath.

"Desiderata"

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
13 posted 2003-02-11 07:46 AM

I can understand bbent's poem. She's not alone in these thoughts. I can also understand anyone that hasn't been to these countries, seen what REALLY is happening to these poor people and how they are treated, mistreated and have actually seen death, up close and personal, can write from feelings, not from knowledge of the 'REAL WORLD'...Now that I'm older, (maybe not necessarily wiser), but maybe because I've seen death, caused death, and have been to war, I know it's not the person's fault in their "dream world" reality...it's just the lack of knowledge. That doesn't make them dumb, just wrong. When freedom is taken away from anyone, it does threaten the people that have it...believe it or not.....(And that's not from Ripley either...it's from Toerag...and in this particular instance...Toe-knows!)
bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
14 posted 2003-02-11 09:01 PM

R2You...Of ignorance your a fine example.If the cloning of human organs to save life and genetic manipulation to help those born with diseased genes frightens you  I'm sorry.As far as the real world go's it's already a reality.If it goes against you and Mr Bush's religious beliefes don't take part in in but don't deny the rest of America a right to there own choice.I'm sorry also you fear the Iraqi airforce is going to be dropping chemical weapons on your doorstep tomorrow.Ever consider your living in just the fear Bin Laden and his terorist organization intend you to? Destroying Iraq and it's civilian population  will not end Bin Ladens terrorists attacts.He's connections in many places with many sources of weapons.The destuction of Iraq will only lead to a bigger rift betwwen the East and west and more support for thoses who use hatred between us to farther there cause.Containment Yes,Destruction no,let the rest of the world have a hand in the situation and lets stop playing judge and jury.I have a suggestion for that gun you seem so anxious to use.Would I be wrong in thinking your biggoted brain can figure it out for yourself?One last point reguarding your ignorance.Befor branding another human being because of there opinion the enemy you might want to actually find and who they are and why they feel like they do.I refer to myself in this case.I am a veteran of the U.S.M.C 1st div 1970 and am very aware of the dog eat dog nature of this world and the carnage of war something you seem to know little about or I doubt you'd be so anxious to destroy innocent human life to achieve your objective without first exhausting all other alternatives...
Toerag...I'm not sure if your refering to me or R2y as she. If me I'm not a she.lol.Lets get real.Were not threatening anilalation of Iraq,which is just what S.H.would have before surrender because it's people want there freedom.They have none to lose.When and if they choose to fight for it is their decision not ours.I want to avoid Bush bashin but you know as well as me the results of his agenda.Hopfully his bigshow is really just to divert attention from the real battle with Bin laden a true danger to the western world.My only wish is G.B. use the options being provided by world organizations before his actions become unreversable.You'll get no argument from me that the loss of freedom anywhere  is a great loss.I'm tired of the propaganda from both sides and I'll leave it at that.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
15 posted 2003-02-12 02:03 AM

bbent,
i just want to say that I thought this was a very clever way to get your point across

smalls
since 2002-12-20
Posts 62

16 posted 2003-02-12 02:29 AM

politics... my type of stuff... I like it a lot!

Please check out my poetry online
http://mysite.de/mrlawrencesmalls

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
17 posted 2003-02-12 08:12 AM

bbent..sorry on my little "mistake" on your gender...it's hard to tell whether someone has breasts or not over the net....and, I think negotiations with liars and cowards are for naught....A world war is coming...no matter what is negotiated....sad but true.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
18 posted 2003-02-12 11:08 AM

Those who want to express their political views are free to do so. Since Open Poetry is a poetry forum rather than a discussion forum, you might even consider actually writing about it (as Ray has so admirably done) instead of just ranting. Feel perfectly free, too, to take personal shots at any world leader you deem a good target. That's part of their job description and, more importantly, it's what makes all other freedoms possible.

But the personal shots END at the world leaders. Start taking shots at others in these forums, and you'll find yourself out of here. Quickly.

And, regards2you, your suggestion that protesters should be killed is about as unacceptable as anything ever posted in these forums. You want to start lining people up, I suggest you take it somewhere else. I'd prefer it be a different country, but I'll settle for a different web site.

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
19 posted 2003-02-12 11:37 AM

Ron,

This "bigot" does not have to take her opinions anyplace. Neither did I ever voice them until the last few poems by protestors.  I am NOT politically involved. But, I felt it necessary to speak when I hear others putting down our country and our western leaders, at a point in time when I believe unity is critical. And, I am not afraid of being bombed with chemical warfare. They are already running around. I view protestors as cowards. I guess it is the pioneer spirit in me, because, yes, I would pick up a gun to support my country.  And, I do not need to belong here. Thank you for the invitation to leave. It is a wonderful site. I have enjoyed being part of it.

With love and concern for my country and freedom that I've known my entire life.

Pat

"Desiderata"

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
20 posted 2003-02-12 11:40 AM

bbent - good words, glad you wrote them...

BC

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
21 posted 2003-02-12 01:32 PM

Pat, I apologize for getting angry. Suggestions that people should be killed for expressing their opinions tends to do that to me. I still maintain that your post and points were wholly unacceptable, but I think I understand it was more your failure to effectively communicate than your actual desire to kill. At least, I would hope that is the case.

I would also argue that unity shouldn't be defined simply as those who agree with you, and that the protesters you call cowards would have to include names like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. I am not only willing to pick up a rifle for my country, I've done it. And I used it. And I watched friends die three feet from where I stood. A large part of the reason I did it was so that people who disagreed with me would never have to be lined up and killed.

Feel free to continue arguing your points. But please try to do so with respect and tolerance, both for those who don't agree with you AND for the value of human life.

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
22 posted 2003-02-12 02:05 PM

Ron, I think you're just protesting again!!!
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
23 posted 2003-02-12 02:06 PM

(big hugggsssssssss) It hurts me so to see such this happening. I really don't blame those 32% of British believing the U.S are the terrorists of the world, and I certainly hope they mean "the leaders of the U.S" rather than everyone in the U.S as the use of metonymy.

I just feel it is wrong to play God, and summoning such a meaningless war is like that. On Instant Message someone told me that sure, we will make a LOT of enemies in this war and it will cost us billions, but this war is necessary to bring the world peace. And then my aesthetic reaction is WHAT? You basically contradict your own argument by saying we will make more enemies than ever when we are trying to make peace. I feel just going down there is bigotry and violates Article IV of the Helsinki 1975 Act in respecting territorial rights, and then NATO had to break it too when they went into Kosovo and bombed the heck out of everyone there. Same thing with Russia ignoring Order 80 and sending tanks to kill children in the Chechnian capital.

I just feel if Bush and Co. carry this on, many in the world will think of his as the modern Hitler somehow, and there will be chaos. I heard the supposed authentic audio message of bin laden yesterday afternoon and he said the army feared city war, and there will be so many innocent people in the city.

I just have no clue whatsoever how we thought of Iraq after terrorist acts without first thinking of Al-Qaeda itself. I just find this proposed war the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet. And I'm supporting those soldiers, you better believe it, but I am disgusted with the idea of Uncle Sam telling them to go in, which in this case is Bush, as if he is abducting some of them., and him treating them all like a father, playing a demi-god of some sort. Sure, I agree that peace that is forced or bought is not peace, but the much more peaceful approach is to respect the lives of the innocent down there and defend ourselves and only defend until we know what we are actually dealing with!

And by the way, why don't Bush and his leaguers go and do what they want to do if they are so adamant about it rather than making our own children, many of which never even wanted this war, do it for him? I find that dictating!

(gasps) Anyway, I really think you summed up all the points so wonderfully in this brevity format, I love it, your thoughts are so fluent and thought-provoking, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet friend, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (02-12-2003 02:13 PM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
24 posted 2003-02-12 02:21 PM

Again, Toe? When did I ever stop?
Brad Majors
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
25 posted 2003-02-12 02:25 PM

I liked to see the varied opinions on this shows brains must be working overtime
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
26 posted 2003-02-12 03:26 PM

Ron...please don't ever....(I'll feel useless around here if you do)
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
27 posted 2003-02-12 04:12 PM

As for me I have no aversion to didactic verse, but I most certainly AM alergic to polemics whether they are disguised as poetry or not.

All too often, as is the case with this entry and several other blatantly political "poems" I have seen here in the short time I've been a participant, they're not poems at all. They range from mini-rants like this one, to short essays, with the line lengths chopped up to make them look like poetry.

Can anyone tell me any way in which this piece qualifies as a actual poem? It's a metric hodgepodge, there's no attempt at imagery, it lacks focus and verbal clarity, there's no use of phonetic tools or word progression -- nothing. It looks like a troll-post from a political newsgroup, by someone who's either amusing themself by trying to irritate people, of just so full of hate that they're shouting it in written form.

My suggestion would be that before you post here, you should actually write a poem.

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
28 posted 2003-02-12 04:14 PM

Oh My God Ratleader....If you've ever read any of my garbage...you'd use a whole bunch of words I'd need my Funk And Wagnalls for!! LOL
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
29 posted 2003-02-12 04:20 PM

We all do that, but cripes, a person ought to try!
Brad Majors
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
30 posted 2003-02-12 04:20 PM

well if we are talking about traditional poetry then possibly but poetry is har dto contain within definition. People who disliked a piece sure gave it publicity rather then let it die in silence. Contraversy sells if you feed it you only endorse it. I am not knocking this piece because myself I liked it but I'm sure everyone had to at least read it to see what the fuss was all about when they could have let it fall to oblivion and be done with it.
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
31 posted 2003-02-12 04:25 PM

No, it's not that hard. Virtually all poetry has certain common characteristics, like the ones I just mentioned above. This one doesn't have 'em, therefore it ain't poetry.
Brad Majors
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
32 posted 2003-02-12 04:34 PM

Alot of beat poetry was emotional rants should we disgard them? Freeverse is fairly open. Look at amira baraka or nikki giovanni their poetry is sometimes out of the norm. My point is this your and my definition of poetry might differ. My main point was if you all disliked the piece then why did you respond to it?
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
33 posted 2003-02-12 04:38 PM

WHOOPS  Ed.....

I wasn't going to say anything here about the poem, so I probably shouldn't say anything at all.....
But, I will...........
Man, you know a lot about poetry....more than I could ever learn.....
So, should I just not even try to write my feelings down anymore?
Just wondering, because I really do love to  try  to write the feelings from my heart. I would be very happy to know  all  the poetic technical forms and everything, but I don't. I do think that there are many here who are trying, just as I am.

Now, let's just have Peace, okay? Please, before Ron takes us all off? He is very patient, as far as I have seen in the few months I've been on here. And, he doesn't say very much to any of us, so...........

Ethel....garysgirl

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
34 posted 2003-02-12 04:43 PM

Look how people responded to it -- as a statement of a political point of view, not as a poem. I didn't read all of every post about it, but I think I'm the only one who made any effort to look at as poetry. Everybody else either agreed or disagreed with the message (or threatened to start breaking heads because folks were being mean)....

Here's a challenge for the group -- see if you can use these themes and actually write a poem about 'em. It could be done, but this wasn't an example.

Brad Majors
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
35 posted 2003-02-12 04:46 PM

I understand and that is a good challenge
jade dragoness
since 2003-01-25
Posts 76

36 posted 2003-02-12 04:50 PM

Namaste, and Peace. Ron's rules of order should prevail, no matter who throws the bombs around.
Respect for other's opinions and poetic offerings is one of the things that makes this site so wonderful. Let's talk Peace, and this thread proves it still begins at home.

[This message has been edited by jade dragoness (02-12-2003 11:43 PM).]

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
37 posted 2003-02-12 04:53 PM

Golly no, GG -- It's all about the feelings! Knowing a boatload of methods can help you out, but it's definitely not the be-all-and-end-all.  

I know a bit about poetry (not nearly as much as Nan, but a bit), but if you read my stuff you'll see that I don't stick to any one thing (except cinquain a lot this month) or any set of rules for very long.

I even write prose poetry and I've posted at least one here ("Jonah") that I can remember. But -- when I'm writing I exercise control over the substance of the text I'm creating, and it's there for all to see. With this one, there's nothing to see, because the writer just blurted it out, apparently without considering what was being said or how it ought to be said.

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
38 posted 2003-02-12 05:24 PM

Yes, Ed. I know that you do. You are one of the giants among poets that I have commented on before. I knew that the first time that I read a poem or a reply of yours (can't remember which it was now). The ones of you in this group of "Giants" are the ones who can write poetry the way the classic poets did. I know that I'm not a poet, just someone who loves to write my feelings, I guess. I can say that I know a little more about it now than when I came to Ron's home, because I see so many of you good poets here whom I have learned from. I don';t think I had ever heard of the term "cinquain" until I saw it on here where you or Maureen (nakdthoughts) had mentioned it. I love this site, and have made a lot of friends here, just as you have in the short time you've been here....and I have never read a comment from you the way you made earlier in this thread. I guess you just surprised me. It hurts me to see people arguing with each other on this wonderful site we have all found. Pat is one of my dearest friends and I know that she is probably hurt right now. She is just one of the people on here who speaks her mind when she thinks she is right.
I guess I'd beter hush now......

But, I love everybody and hate to see our country fighting among themselves over this stupid war.....which I think is going to eventually happen anyway......no matter what  any of us who aren't leaders of our country say. Like I said in the poem I wrote the other week, I'm just so afraid that our country is going to go through the same thing we went through with the Vietnam War, and that people who are against this war will turn against our troops who go to fight for us.......
Now, I really am going to shut up, except to say that I do love the United States Of America, and I am very proud to be an American.

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (02-12-2003 09:10 PM).]

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
39 posted 2003-02-12 05:32 PM

Anybody can learn a bunch of forms and rules, but that WON"T make 'em a poet, not by a country mile! If it's not in their heart, it will never be in their verse. If it is in their heart, it will shine through no matter what. You are living proof of that, and believe me, you also know way more than you think you know.....
garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
40 posted 2003-02-12 05:38 PM

Thank you, Ed. You don't know how much
I appreciate that from you....

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
41 posted 2003-02-12 07:48 PM

Well, my only complaint with this poem is the reasoning. I don't care if it's not poetic, if it is anti-Bush, or any of that stuff...it simply makes no sense. What in the world is the correlation of being anti-cloning and declaring war? It's like saying Toerag loves women but doesn't wash his dog on Sundays...?????? What's the connection? None.

It makes a nice display I guess for those who will read it superficially and say "Oh yes" without having any idea why they are saying it but to someone trying to decipher some valid meaning from it I find it sadly lacking...IMHO.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
42 posted 2003-02-12 09:06 PM

bbent - geez, after reading all of this I had to get my two cents in too. Good grief!!!!!

BC

bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
43 posted 2003-02-12 10:36 PM

Lol B.C...I am glad to see people putting discussion in a discussion forum.Hoping we can disagree without being disagreeable.Controversy can lead to conversation and to some extent understanding.After reading a few poetic critics I went back and reread my loosely termed poem and can definatly see where some could see it as outside the realm of the tools and rules of poetry.You'll get no argument from me.On the other hand I do find a rythem and message to it so like any art,I figure it's all subjective.As far as what it  mean's Ron,I think some of the earlier replys  might answer that,it's open to interpertation or rejection.I will say it wasn't meant as antiamerican or antigod and I'm definatly guilty as accused of wanting to create some controversy.I really agree with your earlier post about others voicing there opinions as poetry as well.
R2U...I can tell your to strong a person to let my criticism silence you.. but damn if you'r gonna dish it out you got to take it too.There's lots I admire of you also so like the song says lets just "Let it be".    

[This message has been edited by bbent (02-12-2003 10:42 PM).]

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
44 posted 2003-02-13 04:36 AM

Ron,

Thank you for the apology and right for me to post here as long as I mind the rules of your site. Which I did not and I apologize.

You are right, it was not my intent to suggest I want to kill anyone. Killing babies incites me.

FYI...to all whom have had abortions, the only thing I was sorry about writing about in my original reply is the description of aborted babies.

Though never in the position of having to make such a decision my heart goes out to all who have done so, I believe, and know many, who suffer with the anguish of it. I have always been and will always remain PRO CHOICE, regardless of my personal opinion, I do not walk in anyone else's shoes in that matter.

Mentioning it was my attempt to explain perhaps why Bush and me and others view this new technique of healing disease as a ~Moral Issue~ and one to consider slowly and seriously. I meant it about does a soul accompany a baby sprouted in a petri dish????

As far as lining up protestors for the first hits of anthrax, like a front line, I said it because I think they are being disloyal to our front line and stabbing them in the back. That without a united America, it just is less likely we'd get the support from Europe we'll need when we don't back up our Government. And leaves us less able to defend ourselves. It was a not very nice thing to say.

I believe this poem was meant to bash Bush and his policies, period. I did not vote for him. But, right now, I uphold him and the position he is in. And, I do think he has agendas, but all politicians do, as well as poets.

And ~Bent~, you didn't stop me from speaking, Ron, the owner of this site did.

And, it isn't about me not being able to take your (what did you say) critisizm of me.....

you're not even in my league, so don't flatter yourself...if I told you what I really thought of you I wouldn't be able to use this site and I would tick off ~my God~.

What I do not understand about protestors is why wait until now when the whole world is a mess to cut down the very country you belong to? If you are so strong in number and sure about your ideals, where is your political party? Why don't all of you ~do something~? Besides run only your mouth.  Unite! ...oops, I remember, I guess you really do not understand the meaning of that word and there are a couple.

Unity to me does not mean agreeing with me.  Unity to me means not kicking the leaders of this country when this country is in a vulnerable position and war is imminent, (no matter why).

Oh, that we did have more George Washingtons and Thomas Jeffersons...
to compare them to the likes of what I've seen with these political posts makes me sick to my stomach. They seemed to have accomplished a lot besides protest. That is like slapping them in the face. But, I understand your point, Ron.

Ron, again, thank you for taking your valuable time to address the issue of poetry writing and what may be written. I will be more careful of what I say and not sure I'll be using this site, but I did want to take the time to answer you.

With warm regards, Pat

"Desiderata"

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
45 posted 2003-02-13 08:36 AM

Two Mothers

I know just how you’ve felt, my friend
When war clouds were in sight
And veiled the fears upon your face
In thunderous sounds at night

And though your men went off to war
So that their pride survive
Beneath the veil were watchful eyes
To keep your young alive

A threat now looms in darkness
From the borders of Iraq
And it is we who fear the weapons
We cannot attack

Our missiles pointed at your land
Our warships cruise nearby
Beneath a veil of motherhood
I hear a woman cry

Her fear is for the little ones
That she must now defend
And as for me, the hope exists
That all comes to an end

I also wear a veil of fright
A mask to hide the dread
That somehow in the coming weeks
So many will be dead

And so I sit with you, dear lady
Helping guard your young
And mine are cradled on your lap
To hear the songs you’ve sung

Oh Peace, be with us all tonight
Unveil your light divine
And let the hands of motherhood
Around the globe entwine

Elizabeth Santos  

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
46 posted 2003-02-13 09:09 AM

(big hugggssssssss) And that is exactly how I read this poem too. Accusing Bush and his colleagues, period. And I too think that they should be removed from power, what's it to say he can tell Saddam to come down from power and he won't consider the same? I don't see how it is going to happen with all the puppets but the way he is dictating so many it is only a matter of time before he finds himself amidst much more turmoil.

His removal from the office can bring comfort to the many of us who are being dictated.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (02-13-2003 09:11 AM).]

winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
47 posted 2003-02-13 10:02 AM

"Peace Y'all" bbent.
I can see what's coming, so I won't bother reading some of the tripe, trite, vitriol that's been posted.
bbent, as one American singer once sang, "stand up, and identify yourself." I think you have managed that very well. This poem got savoir faire and shows a certain bon mot. Feel free to post your poems, and ignore the fear and hate mongering folks.

Big Brother Ron, you have my sincere respect for keeping an objective stand. Intolerance is one thing that no civilised American (or anybody else in the world) should tolerate. There are much more subdued and polite ways to express anger.
Thanks.

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, & incumbency.
--G. "DUBYA" BUSH. June 14, 2001. Unaware of rolling TV camera.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » Mr. President

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary