navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The empty chair on Christmas Eve
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic The empty chair on Christmas Eve Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2002-12-14 05:09 PM

It's Christmas Eve and here I sit,
alone and thinking in the night.
The Christmas tree's aglow with cheer,
but in my heart is little light.

Both of my parents long since gone
and brother, Ricky, also dead,
my family no longer close,
such troubled thoughts within my head.

The holidays can be so hard
on those with loved ones that have passed,
a holiday spent in the dark.
How long is grief supposed to last?

Most recently, Aunt Polly died.
So hard it is, her loss to bear.
She was so dear to all she knew.
So many smiles did we both share.

I chose the bathroom for my tears,
composed myself, then washed my face,
that Chris not see his daddy cry.
My grief did need a private place.

Depression's Christmas this will be,
a time to mourn and hope to heal,
another empty chair to see.
Sometimes I wish hearts could not feel.

[This message has been edited by Auguste (12-14-2002 05:11 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
1 posted 2002-12-14 05:25 PM

Oh Michael, I'm so sorry for the aches of your heart. I wish that I knew what to say to help, but I don't know the right words to express. I do want you to know that my prayers are with you.
God bless, dear friend.  

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~  

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
2 posted 2002-12-14 05:41 PM

yes, I know those empty chairs...there's something just not right and will never be about that scene.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-12-14 05:43 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Michael, I wish there was something I can do to help, sweet friend, I send thousands of angel hugs out to you and Chris as I know your parents and your loved ones will always love you so much and you will never be forgotten and you did the right thing for Chris as I know he knows just how you feel and wants you to remain happy as the love of a family can never die and they are always guiding you with light! (sigh) God Bless You, sweet friend, you are by far one of the most loving friends I have ever been blessed to have, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Michael, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
4 posted 2002-12-14 06:05 PM

The holidays are always the hardest, Michael
~ hugs and tears

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2002-12-14 06:12 PM

Ah Michael I sure feel this one, and yes the holidays are so hard when we have lost loved ones.  I think we have to embrace what they were to them more at these times, and try to celebrate our relationship with them in life to get through it, and rejoice in the memories.  

Season's Greetings
    from my home in Canada to yours!

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
6 posted 2002-12-14 06:13 PM

There has been many, many times when I had wished that my heart could not feel. I'm not so sure that it would be good to have a heart that didn't feel anything. Because then we wouldn't be able to feel the happiness, either. I am so sorry you feel so much pain.
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
7 posted 2002-12-14 06:15 PM

Michael - dear poet, fill those empty chairs with happy memories - I know that ache on Christmas Eve, and other holidays as well. But, we are all here to help each other through the rough times as well as the cheery ones. Bless you. Chris

"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
that perches in the soul....

-Emily Dickinson

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
8 posted 2002-12-14 06:28 PM

Michael,

Thank you for this. The holidays are known to have a higher percentage of suicides.

My heart goes out to you, for your losses. Many have never had the close knit family ties, or, coming from such dysfunction, they've never known the kind of joy you speak of missing.

Hopefully this poem will help some who have the same feelings if not same circumstances as you, knowing at least they aren't the only ones feeling lonely and sad, missing out on what so many do 'seem' to have.

Hugs to you my friend, may this feeling soon pass.

Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
9 posted 2002-12-14 06:32 PM

Ah Micheal..my sister and I know too well the feeling of those empty chairs...it's so very sad getting through the holidays with loved ones gone.  
Remember the happy times..the fun times together.
Memories help my friend.
~Warm hugs~

~ Season's Greetings to my 'family' at Passions ~

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
10 posted 2002-12-14 07:26 PM

Michael

To leave a chair empty im memory of a loved one departed would be a wonderful idea.  To use it to celebrate their life, perhaps and remember them with loving thoughts. Hugs and love to you, dear friend.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

11 posted 2002-12-14 08:01 PM

always a difficult time...the ones we have lost are with us memory and that my friend is something to share with the younger ones...so they too can remember, and you can pay tribute..

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
12 posted 2002-12-15 04:32 PM

You all have such wonderful thoughts to share and they're sincerely appreciated.   This poem was actually written two years ago, so I'm feeling much better now.  Time does help, doesn't it?  This Christmas my mood is much better, because I wasn't sure I'd be seeing this one, so consider it a gift in itself and one from the Almighty.   Thank you, my friends and Merry Christmas to each of you.  God Bless!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The empty chair on Christmas Eve

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary