navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Today is World Human Rights Day
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic Today is World Human Rights Day Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GOlDsparklESS
since 2001-12-13
Posts 428
central nj

0 posted 2002-12-10 03:41 PM

Today is the World Human Rights Day.  

God bless every life, every child, every mother, hopeless prisoner, soldier, government official, girl, boy, rapist, teacher, saint, and sinner.  Let us have amnesty for all tortured and battered souls.  

Does anybody care? We aren’t using our time wisely, are we…?

Which ever way you view the world, whether through a warped dogma or your own spiritual intuition, there remains one truth.  We will die.  We will leave this world behind.  Time then, must contain our merit.  We must show our meaning to the world while we can.

It seems as though not much is done about the state of the world.  I was at my best friend’s high school this weekend, helping her with their Amnesty International stand before the school play.  The topic we were highlighting was women’s rights, or rather, LACK of rights.  I handed out a lot of flyers, probably 50 or so… To my dismay, people threw them on the ground or shoved them in their pockets… To make matters worse, of among the several hundred people there that night, one person came to our stand!  Only one sweet girl came and looked at our pamphlets!  This was at a high school, a place that educates our future generation and has the potential to foster our growing youths’ compassion and awareness of the world.  I want to slam my head against a wall; the majority of my fellow peers don’t give a DAMN about the world. MOST PEOPLE could not care less.
Honestly, I’m sick of the huge discrepancy between the ideals of our society and the implementation of our government’s iron fist.  And now, it shows.  The game is up; people are waiting, PRAYING for an answer, for spirituality to change the world as we know it.  We are nearing an inevitable end in the succinct drama, “Let’s see if people can figure out how to stop torturing each other!”  Here, a bit of knowledge for your own awakening, the copy of that flyer with some additional information.
Women’s rights

In the US, a woman is raped every 6 minutes; a woman is battered every 15 seconds.

In North Africa, 6,000 women are genitally mutilated each day.  

This year, more than 15,000 women will be sold into sexual slavery in China.

More than 7, 000 women in India will be murdered by their families and in-laws in disputes over dowries.  

An estimated 7.5 million Afghans are facing starvation this winter.  

The world’s farmers produce 4.3 pounds of food per person. People are hungry because they’re too poor to buy food.  A third of the world’s 830 million malnourished people live in India.  Yet in 1999, India’s government had 10 million tons of surplus food grains; rice, wheat, etc.  In the year 2000, that surplus increased to almost 60 million tons-most of it left in the granaries to rot.  Instead of giving surplus food to the hungry, the Indian government left it in the granaries to rot.  It also stopped buying grain from its own farmers, leaving them destitute. The farmers who had gone into debt to purchase expensive chemical fertilizers and pesticides on the advice of the government were now forced to burn their crops in the fields.
At the same time, the government of India was buying grain from Cargill and other American corporations, because the aid India receives from the World Bank stipulates that the government MUST do so.  This means that today India is the largest exporter of the same grain it imports.  

Humans are indeed stuck in a “mortal dilemma.”  What kind of mentality allows this CRAP TO GO ON???  How can we be so collectively idle while this goes on?  Why is the social paradigm so utterly inadequate?  What must be done?  Certainly, religion and bureaucracies have not been able to answer that question in a life-sustaining manner.  It appears various organizations fight, vying for power. So many wars amount to fighting over toys…  What a disgrace to any semblance of human dignity!  The way must surely be forged by first opening our hearts to all people… The scope of this horizon is grand, and it may be unsettling to think of the world in this way.  But we are all humans, descendents from the same source. We ALL will relinquish this mortal existence one day…and until that day, a heart beats in every chest, a perpetual rhythm… our common melody… And I will not let this voice falter, be censored into silence or ignored.  The paradigm will change, and by God, I WILL see it happen. I hope some of you agree with me, and feel the same way.  Thank you

[This message has been edited by GOlDsparklESS (12-10-2002 05:33 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Manisha Narang - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-12-10 03:50 PM

Knowledge IS power....
keep sharing till you are heard.
thank you for this...you are light years ahead of many...in time...many will follow your light. Keep it pure and it will be a beacon....
peace poetess
jm

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2002-12-10 03:54 PM

I've saved a copy of this, as it may end up being removed for lack of being 'poetry'

Poverty and injustice and war are not very pretty poetry though, are they? Many of us here have similar leanings, Manisha.

GOlDsparklESS
since 2001-12-13
Posts 428
central nj
3 posted 2002-12-10 05:36 PM

Janet Marie~Thank you for your support... it gives me TREMENDOUS hope!!

Midnight~ I'm glad that people here understand!

I am celebrating my lack of being tortured.

O' to be delivered from the realm of the rational into pure song...

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
4 posted 2002-12-10 10:23 PM

Hmmm.. i guess this belongs in the prose section but nobody would read it there..  siiigh... its funny to contemplate the boundaries that separate "poetry" from a work such as this

I have sent you nothing but angels, and I have placed nothing but miracles before you.

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
5 posted 2002-12-12 12:34 PM

Faded memories, forgotten goals,
Unsatisfied hearts, forsaken souls,
Blind old men, neglected tears,
Wasted potential, savage fears,
Chemical dependancy, biblical discrepancy,
Corrupt hypocracy, utter insanity,
Mass scuicide, global genocide,
In Satan, a sadly some confide,
Black magic, obsession so tragic,
Political stability so erratic,
Marijuana tokers, crack smokers,
Society's pitiful isolated jokers,
Overpopulation, quartered rations,
All a product of procrastination,
Bitter hope, hooked on dope,
End of the rope, trying to cope,
Nuclear war, battle planes soar,
Whats this life for? Armageddon's roar,
Stinking death, passion bereft,
Rampant theft, nothing shall be left,
Ashes to ashes, eleven bells, fallen angels,
This world goes to hell.

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
6 posted 2002-12-12 12:50 PM

Let the fire run rampant through Eden;
Consuming the garden, it progresses to the gates of Heaven...
What shall He do?

Sitting upon clouds watching Eden burn;
What shall He do?
As the women beg for relief from ravaging Demons;
What shall He do?
As live children are cut in two;
What shall He do?
While the smoke turns the sky black;
What shall He do?
When stench of burning flesh makes the air un-breathable;
What shall He do?
His Prophets ask why he has forsaken them;
What shall he do?
He shall play the fiddle as Eden burns.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2002-12-12 01:37 AM

Every day should be human rights day.
Every day should be human rights day.
Chant this 365 days a year.
Maybe someone
out there
will hear.
Peace.
Peace.
Chant this for one minute a day.
Maybe 365 people will hear and believe.
And maybe the hundredth monkey will wake up, and the tree of life will again flourish
with humanity.

GOlDsparklESS
since 2001-12-13
Posts 428
central nj
8 posted 2002-12-13 09:08 PM

Just as I was thinking that no century could possibly be dumber than the nineteenth, along comes the twentieth. I swear, the entire planet seemed to be staging some kind of stupidity contest.  
Martin Amis

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Today is World Human Rights Day

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary