navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The Dreaded Mobile Phone
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Dreaded Mobile Phone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia

0 posted 2002-12-09 05:36 PM

You see them every day
And you see them everywhere
They seem to be oblivious
There's one thing for which they care

Forever pushing buttons
Just in case they missed a call
I may well be in the minority
But I don't own one at all

It may be plastered to an ear
Or ringing out in a crowd
The tones all drive me crazy
And most are way too loud

Anti social and disrespectful
Many owners could not care
Unable to meet my eyes
As I give them a long hard stare

So now I've vented my anger
And let it be cast in stone
I curse he who created
The dreaded mobile phone

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

© Copyright 2002 Sue Tancheff - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2002-12-09 09:44 PM

Hehe, I hear you! They are a valuable lifesaver sometimes though, if you get stranded on the road at night or in foul weather. But I survived Alaska winters 6 years without one, for some of the reasons you cited.
Plus the stats roll in regularly that they distract hundreds of drivers each year and cause numerous, often fatal accidents.

Pull over, park, then answer. That's the way they should be used.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2002-12-09 10:09 PM

I hate them and the second thing I hate or about the same is call waiting!  Grrrrr, "excuse me I have another call coming in", well now...there goes my self esteem down the tube, to be replaced by an incoming call   How true, how true, let's picket!  Merry Christmas Sue.

Season's Greetings
    from my home in Canada to yours!

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
3 posted 2002-12-09 10:56 PM

Suetang~ I join you as part of the minority
I don't have a cell phone either.
I must admit though I have been thinking of getting one because my wife thinks I need one in case I have car trouble, which is the only logical reason I can see for having one.
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed...Paul

" To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you "

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2002-12-09 11:15 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Sue, I too hate cell-phones and can't understand why someone wished to create such a device destructive to social lives across the world! Now you might as well have a phone or non-phone section in every restaurant as they do with smoking and non-smoking! (sad sigh) With the exception of this wonderful Internet (of course with some drawbacks) technology is destroying our lives! This is so heartfelt, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sue, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2002-12-10 02:59 AM

yep, I know what you mean...I work security at WalMart and people are just that way especially out in the parking lot...people driving almost running over people walking and people walking not paying attention...it's kinda funny to watch now, ya gotta laugh or it will make you crazy.
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
6 posted 2002-12-10 06:55 PM

Sue:  No cell phone here either and haven't wanted one.  I suppose in an emergency, they would certainly be helpful, but it seems pretty costly for a "maybe" that might never happen.

Betty Lou Hebert

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2002-12-10 07:07 PM

I've got one, but the official reason I have it is in case of emergancies, or if a prospective employer calls me.   I tend to use it to phone Ryan a lot though...
Oh and I keep my ringer way loud, and found the least annoying one... I never check my voice mail either, cause I lost my password, so I cant...
They are annoying though

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

8 posted 2002-12-10 07:30 PM

And I thought I was the only one...
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
9 posted 2002-12-10 07:53 PM

I'm with you Sue...
Seems they go off all over the place now.
Excellent write!
~Hugs~

~ Life is too short not to believe in Santa Claus ~

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
10 posted 2002-12-10 08:11 PM

Yes Sue, they can be very annoying! When I was going to class, people would bring their cell phones and have them turned on, and they would ring during class. And, this was so irritating. I must admit, though, I am one who do have a cell phone. Because I have to drive so far and I live in the country. But, I don't turn mine on unless I use it. I would hate to be stranded and not be able to call for help.
NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
11 posted 2002-12-10 08:19 PM

Ooops, I have to admit I have one; however, I never seem to remember to turn it on which annoys the daylights out of my children. Seems they can't remember a time when one of those damn things wasn't attached to their ear!

Hugs and a very Merry Christmas my friend ... Luv ya, Marti

'A witty saying proves nothing.'
Voltaire (1694-1778)

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
12 posted 2002-12-10 08:20 PM

Suetang - a'hhhhhh, dat phone, dat dang phone!!!!!

BC

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
13 posted 2002-12-10 09:28 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies.  I have no problem with people having one for emergency situations etc. but it is the ones who use it just for the sake of using it that annoys me.  So many seem to just have one as a fashion statement and I can't see why they have to be left turned on when someone is shopping or at the pictures etc.  Only last week I went to the toilet at the shopping centre and can you believe there was a girl in the next cubicle talking on her phone!!!!  I think many people need to draw the line at to when and where it is necessary to use it if they must have one.

Take care......Sue

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
14 posted 2002-12-11 03:46 AM

I don't trust someone driving around me with a cell phone...
They seem to give rude people even more opportunities to be rude...James

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
15 posted 2002-12-11 07:12 AM

Well, I know I couldn't have "vented" this any better....if it weren't for the net I wouldn't have a damn home phone!!! I hate talking on the phone....I can't imagine why anyone would want one to go too?...I can understand a new driver...kid maybe, and giving him/her a phone for when they usually wreck the car or get into trouble, (though I don't remember it happening to me...more than a dozen times anyhow...okay, a couple of dozen times, but I didn't need a phone then, the police or teachers usually called home for me)....but if business is really that important..ya need to find another job.....well said...
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
16 posted 2002-12-11 08:16 AM

I liked this, Sue.........
But, some folks will fight you over their cell phones... HaHa!!
(just ask them)  

(BTW..I'm not one of those folks)

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
17 posted 2002-12-11 09:22 AM

This is wonderful, Suetang... and I agree completely! *S* I hate the things too much to have one even though I'm on the road a lot alone (of course, it doesn't help their sales pitch that the loneliest stretches of road on the way to my Dad's are also in a cell phone "dead zone"... so one wouldn't even help in an emergency *G*)

I was at a concert last week, and some moron's phone started ringing... and he answered and started chatting away... pretty loudly! The singer got a standing ovation from the rest of us when he stopped singing and told the guy to "carry on, mate... we'll be glad to wait for you to finish your ever-so-important conversation... wouldn't want to disturb you."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The Dreaded Mobile Phone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary