navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » no title...written from a dream....unfinished...Continued
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic no title...written from a dream....unfinished...Continued Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Enotneicna
since 1999-06-06
Posts 340
Oakland, Or, USA

0 posted 2002-11-30 09:50 PM

Any documentation of the catacombs was destroyed mysteriously in a fire shortly after we arrived.
But now with Rolard here, even our pets from the village (those who have answered our calling
and allow us to feed freely) have begun to vanish.  Especially now that the entrances are being
sealed.  Apparently in an effort to keep any plans from reaching us.  There are still many entrances
remaining, it will take time to locate and seal them all and that is just what it is ....a matter of time. There are those among us who choose to ignore the possibility that we may find ourselves trapped here for eternity.

Part 2

This evening I wake before the others and prepare for this night’s forage.  What is that!  No!!  They
couldn’t have found and sealed them all already.  Panic stricken I find a hiding place, a shaft
behind a circle of carved knots.  I hear the shouts and growling, the splash of liquid; then the crackle and pop of the fire.  The screams come next of the others waking aflame.  The smell.....Ughhh!  I close my eyes to the stinging stinking smoke.  The screaming and crackling seems endless.  When I realize it has ceased I can’t recall how long ago.  And I don’t want to leave my hiding place but I desperately need to feed.  Damn, If I had kept my wits about me I could have simply slipped into shadow and escaped.  It’s strange what panic can do.

The fire has burned itself out, everything is blackened.  The charred bodies of all the others litter the remains of the catacombs.  The air is thick with the burnt stench.  There are more sounds
coming from the passageways.  Are they returning to inspect their handiwork?  I slide between
what was once a thick red velvet drapery, now just a tattered blackened rag.  The sounds become voices of those who rested elsewhere and are returning.  I am about to reveal my self when the curtain crumbles as it is snatched back and they advance, inhaling my scent and hissing.  I claw my way through them hissing back, explain about the villagers who came with their creatures and
torches.  We search the labyrinth of catacombs looking for others who may have survived as I did.
There are very few.  They had coordinated their assault well.  Entering from a choice few entrances to ensure total destruction of our lair.  They thoroughly succeeded.  We have to find a new resting place by sunrise.  Somewhere far away from Nathaniel Rolard and his monsters.

Shadow is a good place to travel through from one place to another, but we cannot rest in shadow.
That is not our dimension.  So we travel from town to town through shadow and feed.  We do not know if we are truly all that is left of those who dwelt in the catacombs, but that doesn’t really matter.  Once we have found another den we will have to discover what manner of being this Nathaniel Rolard is, where he and his demon-hounds came from and their weakness.

Part 3

I have always preferred small towns and villages over larger cities.  I would keep 2 or 3 pets and
every now and again when the hunger grew beyond what they could provide; the lone traveler through town would be of little if any concern to the townsfolk.

This time we found an old abandoned factory in a dilapidated section of a larger city.  A place
where transients, the homeless and undesirable types frequented.  We would not want for nourishment and these inhabitants would never be missed.

This manufactory has many floors below ground level.  These are the places we choose to rest.
The floors above are where we accompany our pets and unsuspecting victims.  Each floor being a
colossal columned space, illusion transforms them to whatever we envision.

Myself, I prefer ornate carvings and rich tapestries and fabrics, therefore my columns are marble with clouds carved at the tops.  Tapestries and oversized paintings decorate the walls.  Vaulted
ceilings meet cathedral stained glass windows draped in burgundy velvet.  At one end of the floor
is a gigantic fireplace, big enough to walk into.  Across the mantelpiece lies a sleeping dragon of
black marble.  To one side in front of the fireplace is a massive ebony bed.  The headboard is
carved relief of a 10 foot dragon with its wings spread.  The bedding is burgundy satin and velvet withvgold piped trim and tassels.  There is a matching fireplace on the opposite end of the floor, In front of it an ebony dinning table with 12, 6 ft high backed chairs.  The backs of the chairs are dragons rising above those seated.  The backs of the captains chairs on either end of the table are also backed with a dragon rising but with wings spread in a semicircle around the person seated. The seats are covered in gold brocade with burgundy pipe trim and tassels at the corners.  In the center of the room is a fountain with a golden dragon at the center,  water cascading from the mouth. Around the fountain are four semicircular settees, other furnishings include chase lounges and
over stuffed chairs upholstered in silks, velvets and brocades.  Various tables topped with elaborate vases or silver and crystal decanter sets filled with a deep red liquid.

Words are my medicine.
Read and live and love and heal!

© Copyright 2002 Sharon Lee Wilcox (Enotneicna) - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2002-11-30 10:02 PM

This should really be in the prose section, shouldn't it? PS I really would like to see more like this:

"Shadow is a good place to travel through from one place to another, but we cannot rest in shadow.
That is not our dimension. "

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (11-30-2002 10:15 PM).]

Crysania
since 2002-09-21
Posts 67
Lost in a dream. (Please don't wake!)
2 posted 2002-11-30 10:11 PM

I was going to say...it belongs there more than here.

Every heart has hidden treasures...a secret wish, a silent dream, and a cherished love. [Unknown]

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

3 posted 2002-11-30 10:13 PM

Yes, but i liked it nonetheless. But i would request moving it to the prose section, for a better and more sincere response.

Never be normal!

Enotneicna
since 1999-06-06
Posts 340
Oakland, Or, USA
4 posted 2002-11-30 11:37 PM

there is another part to it it starts with a poem.....that's why I wasn't sure where to post it.......

glad you enjoyed it.....i'm still workin on it!!

Words are my medicine.
Read and live and love and heal!

She
since 2002-11-29
Posts 41
Wishing On A Northern Star
5 posted 2002-11-30 11:38 PM

This is a wonderful story, but unless the moderators feel it needs to be moved, I think its fine right here with a more of a crowd.

Enjoyed

"You put a stain on all of my good days."
Matchbox Twenty "Disease"

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2002-12-01 02:30 AM

That was one vivid, and terrifying, dream!

My, but you do have a wonderfully imaginative mind! You are a master gothic story teller!

EA

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » no title...written from a dream....unfinished...Continued

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary