navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Time Well Spent - For Nan With A Hug
Open Poetry #22
Post A Reply Post New Topic Time Well Spent - For Nan With A Hug Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2002-10-09 01:30 AM

~* Time Well Spent *
~ For Nan ~

I said, “Two days! it took you two days!”
The response was silence,
which is usually my answer
until, she said, “You have no patience.”
“Remember, you couldn’t even sit
and wait two hours for that sunset?”
I said, “Well no, life goes so fast and
I haven’t got much time to waste.”
Then my thoughts turned to a
beautiful sunset I missed that day reduced
to a mere reflection in a car mirror.

I read her poem again, then again.
Two days she had spent an hour
here and there, I could almost picture her
writing, re-writing to perfection.
To know her is to know that is her way.
I tried sifting through the remains of
my two devoured days and found not one
crumb of importance laying in my mind
or soul to record any wonder.

Her two days had created a sonnet
so beautiful it brought tears to one's eyes.
Two days so seduced by the love of her craft,
tenacity, and patience had created it.
Funny, others and I will make
the time to read it as we all
know the perfection of her efforts
and know that it will be time well spent
in a life that is moving way to fast.

Here I sat unable to recall
how my past two days had vanished,
nor did one minute lost generate
any feeling in me at all.
Suddenly I got to wondering,
how long it took to make a sunset?
I surely had time and patience enough
to wait for one to appear or not.
I became driven to make today count.

I'm glad I did, and Nan it was time well spent
and two hours today resulted in this - just for you!

This is taken while I was standing in the exact spot you were standing, facing toward Victoria on Ambleside Beach, when I said,
“Come on, let’s leave Nan, there won't be a sunset worth seeing tonight!”

~*~

Nan, you are such an inspiration to all of us here at Passions, as I realize now every sunset is worth seeing, as it could become a beautiful sonnet.  Thank you for 15,000 posts, holding workshops and for just being you.  

Sheesh, I hope this is some sort of a poem form teacher?    

Howdy Neighbour

Sharon  

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (10-09-2002 02:27 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2002-10-09 01:38 AM

Sharon,
You know I'm loving this. In every way. Writing and photo are superb. Thank you for sharing this.

P.S. You got some typos dear.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2002-10-09 01:42 AM

Thanks Larry   You know me - dream it up and type it right in the submission box.  I do it backwards, I dream them up and post here then copy them to word, kinda dumb but it works for me, until I loose one here and there on occasion.  Thanks buddy, you are a great spelcheker   I request a spell checker in submission LOL

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (10-09-2002 02:44 AM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2002-10-09 01:47 AM

Sharon,
I'll edit my response if you will. I was prepared to go back and edit out my P.S. but you gave me away! LMBO

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2002-10-09 06:56 AM

Sharon, this is one of the most beautiful pieces I have read of yours to date. You've spoken of Nan, with the wisdom, insight and beauty that I've seen when you write of Willow. This is an extraordinary piece my friend.

I love the correlations you've drawn between Nan's incredible patience, warmth, and skill to that of your night awaiting a sunset ... and the final lessons learned by your teacher, as you return to settle in, and watch for the final results on your own. Such a lovely read this was ... filled with understanding, perception and depth. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman.

Great big hugs to you both,
/Kit

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2002-10-09 07:05 AM

I cannot think of a better way to wrap Nan in gold, just as you have.  You have caught the essence of her craft, and left it here, for all to see.  Mysteria, your heart is writing, again.  Thankful am I to see your words.
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2002-10-09 07:33 AM

This is as breathtaking as Nan's poetry, and certainly wortth gazing at, if only a photograph, How beautiful.Thank you Sharon for starting my day with a sunset
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
7 posted 2002-10-09 07:37 AM

Nicely done...and Nan sure inspires me I'll tell ya...LOL
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2002-10-09 08:18 AM

(smiles) Oh my gosh, I LOVE THIS, sweet friend, this is one of my all-time favorites of yours as all your gorgeous poems shine with love, Nan is a wonderful friend filled with sunshine in her heart and she like you graces these pages with virtue and patience and compassion! (kiss on cheek) God Bless You Both, sweet friend, I'm adding this to my library because it is a true gem, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sharon, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (10-09-2002 09:38 AM).]

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

9 posted 2002-10-09 08:23 AM

Mysteria this is as beautiful as Nans soul is.........what a lovely piece from your heart pen.  HUGS

If I have touched one heart through my words, then I have acheived my dream...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2002-10-09 08:28 AM

That sunset is beautiful! The tribute to Nan is equally golden. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse of Nan through your heart and eyes. I had to smile at that patience issue. Your 2 granddaughters will demand every ounce you can muster, so be ready to savor every sunset.
You have done a marvelous job of honoring and highlighting one of Passions absolute best family members.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
11 posted 2002-10-09 08:44 AM

Beautifully penned Sharon...
and Nan is indeed an inspiration.
~Hugs to you both~

~ Time has cast a spell on you
  So you won't ever forget me ~

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
12 posted 2002-10-09 09:01 AM

Sharon, the sunset is just beautiful, as is your tribute to a friend. And yes, this poem was well worth the time you spent to do it. Thanks for sharing your heart.

With love To All
Ethel

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
13 posted 2002-10-09 09:24 AM

Sharon, You two ladies have a mutual understanding that transcends the many miles you are apart; a soul connection brought together by the internet. When I met Nan, she spoke so highly of you and your works. And now you speak softly and gently of hers.

This piece, this beautiful tribute to her and her words, brought me to tears. I am so glad you were able to take the time and watch the Glory of a sunset.

Good things always come to those who wait with patience. And that patience paid off for all who read this.

With hugs and admiration to you both,
Marti

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
14 posted 2002-10-09 09:27 AM

Well spent and well deserved as well
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
15 posted 2002-10-09 09:52 AM

Sharon,
Your picture and words are as beautiful as you. And I can't think of anything better then agree with Kit. I fell in love with Nan a long time ago. And love her even more today.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
16 posted 2002-10-09 02:44 PM

This lovely poem, the tribute and the photo are also reflections of yourself. You reflect what you yourself are. You also attract to yourself what you are. Nan sounds like a wonderful human being to inspire such a tribute.

I may not know either of you, but I have gotten close to Marti--and she thinks highly of you both--that's good enough for me!

One thing I do know about all three of you--you are mighty fine poetesses and your goodness and appreciation of the beauty in life comes shining through your literary works. Blessings to all three of you!

Linda

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2002-10-09 02:50 PM

I hope she reads this thing LOL, as I do think she will like having her very own sunset!  She loved it here.  She deserves the best life can offer, and Kit, you my dear, said all I tried to say in a few lines.  Thank you one and all for honoring someone with a heart of gold.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
18 posted 2002-10-09 02:53 PM

What a wonderful way to begin a day - With my very OWN sunset!!!

This is amazing, Sharon - as you are yourself.  Who'd a thunk - I remind you that you couldn't sit still to wait for a sunset, and you go right out and find me one... Right where we were looking to begin with - (would've only been a two month wait)...

It's astounding how different and how alike we all are at the same time, isn't it?  If we could just meld my patience with your enthusiasm, we'd come up somewhere in the middle - but then we'd all be alike and there'd be no surprises...

Thank you so much for this - and believe that you're appreciated every bit as much as you express here...

Thank you, all you wonderful poets, for your sweet sentiments as well.  Each and every one of you is special in your own way.

BTW - One day at Sharon's this summer, as we were walking out the door to catch the bus on the quarter hour - she looked at her watch and said "We've still got ONE minute before we have to leave.. What shall I do with it?"... She really did - and she somehow managed to fill that minute with something productive... Then we caught the bus to somewhere...

Thank you, Sharon - I love ya...

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
19 posted 2002-10-09 04:36 PM

Sharon...
This is so beautiful... You've given Nan her very own sunset...

There are 2 kinds of people in the world...
Those who must fill every moment with something actively meaningful... and those who have the patience to stop and smell the roses and wait for the beautiful sunset...

and... I love you both...and hope that you both stay as beautiful as you are.
~ loving chipmunk hugs to both of you

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
20 posted 2002-10-09 06:41 PM

And we love you too Mrs. Chipmunk, you take care of yourself you hear?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Time Well Spent - For Nan With A Hug

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary