navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » I Saw the Raven
Open Poetry #22
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Saw the Raven Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2002-09-14 11:20 AM

The raven which inspired Edgar Allen Poe's poem, The Raven, is preserved and on display in a glass case in the rare book section of the Philadelphia Library.  The raven, named Grip, was the pet bird of Charles Dickens.

I Saw the Raven

I saw the raven void of flight
As daunting as the moonless night
Now motionless behind the glaze
Of ebon eye in glassy gaze

I saw the raven's piercing look
That left the pages of a book
Encased now in transparency
Forever in the depths of me

Portentous is the raven's pose
In death forevermore enclosed
Within a poem that will survive
The raven, evermore alive

I saw the raven on display
With no regard to night or day
Were he to meet again with flight
I think that he would favor night

His lofty posture beckons glance
Into the eyes of haunting trance
Now sealed in glass n'er to be heard
The tap of mystifying bird

I saw the raven's icy gaze
Confined forever in a phrase

Elizabeth Santos
September 15, 2002

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Santos (09-14-2002 11:26 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Elizabeth Santos - All Rights Reserved
wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
1 posted 2002-09-14 11:23 AM

wow i didnt know there was an actual Raven that inspitred Poe you guys up there gpot all the good history...nice poem to tell the story
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
2 posted 2002-09-14 11:26 AM

Elizabeth,
Excellent my dear, Your work is always a pleasure for me to read. And this one will fly above the rest.

[This message has been edited by Nan (09-14-2002 11:27 AM).]

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
3 posted 2002-09-14 11:48 AM

Liz....this one I surely do like....thanx
for the education about our feathered
friend....who has tapped and rapped on many
a chamber door....  though sadly...
Nevermore....

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2002-09-14 11:59 AM

Absolutely going into my library.
Outstandingly beautiful, Liz. And that photo adds another dimension to the reading.
BRAVO!

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2002-09-14 12:03 PM

Thank you, fellow Poe lovers for your comments. I would like to give a very special thank you to Denise for making it possible for us to visit the raven. She is employed in th administrative offices of the library, and surprised us with this treasure,
Liz

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
6 posted 2002-09-14 12:23 PM

Who knew there was an actually stuffed Raven? Wonderfully inspiring write Liz and tis is definitely a keeper for my scrapbook.

Hugs, Marti

Every now and then take a good look at something not made
with hands -- a mountain, a star, the power of the ocean.
There will come to you wisdom,

WhileIWasGone
since 2002-07-18
Posts 486

7 posted 2002-09-14 12:29 PM

Very Beautiful....

DeaDiAmore

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
8 posted 2002-09-14 12:30 PM

Liz

Because of you, the raven still grips..and your words are also treasures.

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
9 posted 2002-09-14 02:55 PM

Marvelously done and thanks so much for the pic included. This was a fascinating read, truly. The weaving is exquisitely done, to my thinking and to my eye.

Whether on the shoal or on the shore,
I'll seek the lighthouse evermore.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2002-09-14 03:06 PM

(smiles) Wow, this is wonderful, I love it, I have never seen this exhibition but it sounds so fascinating! (big hugggssssss) This is well-detailed, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Elizabeth, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
11 posted 2002-09-14 03:59 PM

What a beautiful poem you wrote Liz.
It was a big surprise that Denise had for us, wasn't it. Glad my pic came out alright.

I will always be thankful to Denise for giving us this opportunity not many will experience.

Big Hug, Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

sunrise2227
since 2002-09-13
Posts 13
Ohio, USA, Keep the Faith
12 posted 2002-09-14 04:07 PM

Thanks for the bit of history on the Raven! I also did not know about this bird being displayed.  I am a brand new member and hope to read many more poems like yours! Very, very good content!

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

13 posted 2002-09-14 08:43 PM

Elizabeth, you've certainly captured the essence of Grip in this marvelous poem! Wow! I have been pondering for over a year writing a poem about this piece of history that I share my workplace with and could never come up with a thing. I'll have to share this with my co-workers. They'll love it! You are amazingly talented!

It was a thrill to see you and Nan again and to meet Titia. It was also my pleasure to arrange the abbreviated tour for you guys while you were in Philadelphia on Thursday. I wish we had had time for the entire tour.

I'm sorry that you won't be able to join us for breakfast tomorrow at the train station. We'll get together soon, though.

The picture came out great too, Titia!

Love ya
Denise

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2002-09-14 09:28 PM

Such an excellent piece you have penned here, Liz, very worthy of such an important artifact of literary history. You have done it justice....
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
15 posted 2002-09-14 09:38 PM

Really enjoyed this  Elizabeth...especially your write and the bit-o-history.
Had a pet raven when I was a kid in New Mexico for several years. Never caged him,
let him fly wild...he'd fly everywhere I went (except when went in a car and he lost me). Must have been male 'cause he was a heck of a beer drinker!

Alas he died one day...electrocuted on a powerline transformer in the back yard right before my eyes...  cried I did.

jwesley

[This message has been edited by jwesley (09-14-2002 09:38 PM).]

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
16 posted 2002-09-15 01:34 AM

Liz, this is an excellent, emotive write.
Consider this Poe fan a proud Liz fan also.

Take care,
Melissa~

"Poetry is not an opinion expressed...
it is a song that rises from a bleeding
wound...or a smiling mouth"

~Kahlil Gibran~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2002-09-15 04:36 AM

This is definitely one of my favorites of yours, and you and Denise sure made a spectacular presentation and did EAP proud.  However...raven under glass?  Now that's really making a statement in the art of culinary capers that does not appeal to me one bit.  We have crows and ravens here as big as boxcars (ever seen the birds?) LOL, oh Lizzie you know I love you and your poetry, and this is absolutely excellent, just excellent, but I have to make you laugh when I drop by.  You took a bit of history Liz and put your magic to it and created a piece of poetry that I am sure is going to be treasured.

The most valuable thing you own is a smile, wear it, and share it.
Sharon        

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (09-15-2002 04:39 AM).]

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
18 posted 2002-09-15 05:00 PM

wayoutwalt, Thank you for reading this poem and for your recent letter. Tell rosemary I will send an e-mail soon

SY, I'm so g;ad you liked this one. Thank you

Magnus, Who would have believed this creature was right under my nose all this time and I never know it. It was a thrill.
Thank you

Midnightsun, Thank you for your kind comments. Glad you liked this one

Marti,What a surprise it was to see this treasure. If not for Denise I would never have know it was here.Thanks, Marti

Dea, Many thanks

Martie, Thank you, dear friend. When you come here to see me we'll visit him!

VAS. I owe the picture to Titia who ws the photographer anmd to Nan who helped me post it. THank you

Noah, You would love to see this and the collection of books and historical pieces  including Charles Dickens desk.

Titia, Didn't we have fun! Thanks to your camara for capturing the bird, which adds so much to the poem. Have fun on the rest of youir trip!

sunrise. I'm glad that you enjoyed this poem as much as I enjoye writing it. WElcome to Passions and thank you for yoour kind comments

Denise, I'm sure you will someday write a beautiful sonnet about the raven. Thank you again for the tour and hope to see you again soon

Balladeer, Thank you, dear friend. I appreciate your words more than you know

Liz

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
19 posted 2002-09-15 05:07 PM

jwesley, Thanks for your antecdotes about your pet raven, You can certaily relate to this creature of Poe

Melissa, you are very kind, I'm so glad a Poe fan would like this poem. Thank you

Mysteria,If the king can have 24 blackbirds baked in a ppie, one little old raven under glass wouldn't be so bad.t was great talking to you. Glad you liked the poem

Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » I Saw the Raven

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary