navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Summer Cusp Fall
Open Poetry #22
Post A Reply Post New Topic Summer Cusp Fall Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2002-09-14 08:34 AM

Summer Cusp Fall

…it’s here now, that cool feel,

and moisture…

moisture is back in the air, arid is temporarily halted,
hope seems a bit revived

and summer starts to wave farewell…

she is dawning
          a last look around the place
                           as she says to fall,

...take care, and color me well
                       these last few days of warm...

summer smiles and the mourning dove’s sound
is a deeper trill, wafting damply across the grass

the crickets seem eager, yet,
                   not as raucous but more in number,
                                                 singing into the early morning

and see the squirrels…
                   it is time to prepare
                          time to prepare

time…

and woman stands in bare feet,
                    as rolling clouds loom overhead with
                                                         the welcome gray of rain

now melting into her arms

as if to say
                                      there is still time for growth

the empty last few days
      left that bitter old well taste
             and she would rid of herself
                    those rusty old feelings

for she would dig again, a little deeper
                             and screw in a new brass hinge
                                     and throw down a new rope
                                            with a new bucket attached
                                                    just to see…

if her soul

survived the drought.                                    

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (09-14-2002 08:37 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2002-09-14 08:57 AM

*Shaking my head and smiling at you*
What an amazing writer you are...
You have penned my thoughts exactly,
as I too feel the coolness in the mornings..
a crispness in the air...
One day, I wish to be able to write as well as you.
~Morning hugs~

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
2 posted 2002-09-14 09:22 AM

Sunshine,
Excellent write, a keeper.

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
3 posted 2002-09-14 09:22 AM

My dear, this is one outstanding piece of writing. The imagery paints a picture and captures a moment that flees all too quickly.

I love these lines:

'...and woman stands in bare feet,
                                                         the welcome gray of rain
as if to say
                                      there is still time for growth...'

You are a truly brilliant writer.

Hugs, Marti

Every now and then take a good look at something not made
with hands -- a mountain, a star, the power of the ocean.
There will come to you wisdom,

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2002-09-14 10:35 AM

Karilea

A lovely summer into fall feeling in the beginning...and then the end, well, it just blew me away.  You did really, really good with this one!  Loved it!

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
5 posted 2002-09-14 10:44 AM

oooh, I like this so well, the way the words weave the changeing of the seasons and the format you used as well. Enjoyed greatly!

Whether on the shoal or on the shore,
I'll seek the lighthouse evermore.

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
6 posted 2002-09-14 12:43 PM

Aw Mannnn....  I have been sitting here
posting for the past hour and just now
have read this....

What have I missed?    Wow.  

I do love the feel of this...You have written

this feel extremely well (no pun here)..

Mayhaps the water shall taste better now..
Me thinks it will...

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2002-09-14 01:52 PM

BRAVO!!! Oh Karilea, this is wonderful, it is saddening to hear of the drought, Colorado was really bad all summer but just yesterday we got some rain and part of Denver even got flooded which is not common! (sigh) I summon the rainmaker to Kansas, sweet friend, this is wonderful, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Karilea, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

TradingSpaces19
since 2002-08-31
Posts 134
Arvada, Colorado
8 posted 2002-09-14 04:40 PM

Great poem thanx for sharing

Andrea

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2002-09-14 08:22 PM

She will survive the drought, and write of brighter days of Spring and magical things.  Oh did this is twist and turn, and come to a dead halt.  Excellent piece of work dear friend.
Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
10 posted 2002-09-15 01:24 AM

Oh Karilea, this is beyond masterpiece.  It's a keeper, you're wonderful you know that?

Take care,
Melissa~

"Poetry is not an opinion expressed...
it is a song that rises from a bleeding
wound...or a smiling mouth"

~Kahlil Gibran~

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
11 posted 2002-09-15 06:20 AM

Karilea, Beautifully written, wonderful images. Your winters sound like an Irish Summer, here we are tired of the "gray of rain" lol.

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
12 posted 2002-09-15 10:51 AM

Life has a way of wearing on us but sometimes a new beginning is all that it takes to find the refresh of quenching breath deep within the reaches of our soul.  Beautifully written ... and as many great ones as you have, this is one of your best that I have seen.  Loved it
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

13 posted 2002-09-16 07:56 PM

Okies I'm awake now mama-K (even if it is tomorrow), so here I am to ramble out my opinions.

You have some excellent work here methinks. I can see how your line spacings and line breaks are set up to echo the physical flows within the images. Mostly that works.

I think that in order to enhance your effect you might want to reassess your punctuation in places; some of it's a little overburdening. (I'm cautious when talking about punctuation however as I've become quite reductionist where it's concerned and don't use it much at all these days (when I write that is).

Anyway, I'll go through this line by line.

First line:

...it’s here now, that cool feel,

Well you have an ellipses, an apostrophe and two commas in here. That's an awful lot for a first line. May I ask what effect you were trying to achieve by the ellipses? I read it as an interruption, a punctuated substitution for 'and.' Honestly, I would take it out, just start with It's. It's already has an apostrophe as I noted above - I think it's important to be aware of every piece of punctuation whether they're part of the word or not. I think that because it affects the clarity of a piece. I don't mean clarity in terms of content, not what the poem is saying. This is a poem of shape, flow - physical presence. I don't know if you print your poems out but I suggest printing this out on an A4 page. Have a look how it takes up the space, look at the white and the black together (or whatever colour ink you use lol). The shape of a line on the page is essential - and formed by everything in that line. The space at the start and finish, the space between words, the punctuation, the font. Everything. All of this will affect how your poem is read by an audience, it will affect how you read it aloud to yourself or others..blah blah, sorry ranting again.

and moisture...

moisture is back in the air, arid is temporarily halted,
hope seems a bit revived

and summer starts to wave farewell...

Hm. Not sure about the repetition of moisture. I'd think about cutting out 'and moisture...' The repetition of the ellipses is definitely not great.

I have concerns about this section, in that it is a little passive. The language in places is weak. Now, I'm fairly certain you've gone for a casual tone here, but I'm not sure it's worked too well. These words and phrases contribute to a passive tone, as opposed to a casual one: 'is back' 'arid is' 'starts to' 'a bit'. Most of these are in the passive voice. One of my greatest bugs in writing is the tendency to say that things have started or begun.

Examples from prose.

'He started to run'
'He began to run'
'It began to rain'

etc

Now, someone is either running or they aren't. It's either raining or it isn't. Even when there are a few patters of rain on the ground it is still raining. In modern writing the concept of the beginning of a thing has been mistakenly carried over to convey the actual action of a thing. So, once your summer is waving farewell - actively engaged in actual waving - you're still saying it's only starting to. You see what I mean? It's very passive, and removes any immediacy of the action.

I suggest removing the 'starts to' in that case. I would also remove the 'back' and change the word order of 'arid is temporarily halted' - it's just plain clumsy. I like the hope revived line without the 'a bit'.

she is dawning
          a last look around the place
                           as she says to fall,

...take care, and color me well
                       these last few days of warm...

this part's good as far as the writing and all (cept I'm still bugged over the ellipses, but right now that's personal preference and nothing to do with space and repetitions etc lol). However, I have a question to put to you concerning extended metaphor. The idea of the seasons waving farewell to each other, of night waving hello to day etc have been done to death. The age old debate on cliche sigh. It is impossible to avoid cliche, truly it is - nothing is original anymore that's for sure. However, we can minimise. So, I was wondering what you thought about removing the idea of summer communicating with fall. Maybe just keep summer in the poem as a season on her own?

the crickets seem eager, yet,
                   not as raucous but more in number,
                                                 singing into the early morning

I'd suggest removing 'damply' here. We, as poets, have to weigh up what we tell the reader and what we show. You have nullified any other impression of how the dove's sound might waft across the grass for the reader. That's it - it's damp. Fullstop, period. Also, adverbs (ly words) are often unnecessary anyway, though many people disagree with that. If you take a couple of pages of a well written book and compare them to a page or two of a not-so-good book, I guarantee the better written one won't contain so many ly words. The lack of them just makes for tighter writing. Same goes for poetry in my opinion. Then again, that might just be personal preference.

as to the mourning dove.

sound is a - this reads like it's shoved in between the imagery.

You could do many things with this line:

summer smiles and the mourning dove's sound trills, wafting across the grass.

summer smiles, the mourning dove trills, grass-wafting

the mourning dove's sound is a trill
          wafting deep
               across the grass

the possibilities are endless (I don't really like any of the above cept the first one, but that gives out ideas anyway), but I would remove the 'sound is a.'

and see the squirrels...
                   it is time to prepare
                          time to prepare

time...

the welcome gray of rain

ack, more ellipses. Why do you have 'time' there, standing on it's own? I like the repetition of time to prepare. I certainly don't think you need to throw in another 'time' though...that's just overstating your case.

Now these lines:

the welcome gray of rain

are the best in the poem, they rock, they just rock. Why? They are unpretentious, strong, well spaced - unburdened by punctuation and highly evocative. The fact you have said 'woman' as opposed to 'a woman' is quite masterful I think. This is the point where your poem really takes off and starts to get nice and strong.

In order to keep those lines like iron I would omit this part entirely:

as if to say
                                      there is still time for growth

Hm, there we have another ellipses standing all by it's lonesome. Blah. Lol...it's just an interference I think.

Now these:

the empty last few days
      left that bitter old well taste
             and she would rid of herself
                    those rusty old feelings

for she would dig again, a little deeper
                             and screw in a new brass hinge
                                     and throw down a new rope
                                            with a new bucket attached
                                                    just to see…

Excellent Kari. No faults there (minus the ellipses that is).

but but but -

if her soul

survived the drought.                                    

I'd just leave out these lines. Mainly because 'soul' is an overused concept in poetry: wiffly waffly. (Sheltering from the uproar - no one likes to hear that, let alone believe it. It's true though.) Also, you're overstating yourself again. The stanzas above convey that image on their own, without any need to actually state it. If you did omit those last lines you'd have to rework the second stanza though, which is obvious.

You have 9 ellipses in total btw. ~grin~

Ok, that's it...I do hope this helps - it's cool reading your freeverse lady (oh, and better yet being invited to demolish it heh heh heh)... (omg did I just do an ellipses??? )

K

ps - my browser doesn't refresh so I can see my replies lately, so if the format of your poem-quotes were ruined in here, sorry - I won't be able to see to edit. Grrrrr.

WhileIWasGone
since 2002-07-18
Posts 486

14 posted 2002-09-16 07:58 PM

Beautiful....

Enjoyed
DeaDiAmore

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
15 posted 2002-09-16 08:16 PM

Karilea - This poem to me is simply beautiful and a pleasure to read and read again. Thankyou for this. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

CSKpoet
since 2002-07-12
Posts 845
Island in Paradise
16 posted 2002-09-16 08:19 PM

Yes this is a real special keeper and thanks for your most excellent words!
hugs, Cher

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Summer Cusp Fall

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary