navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Parents
Open Poetry #22
Post A Reply Post New Topic Parents Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
the_loner_23
Member Ascendant
since 2002-06-08
Posts 5479
Jacksonville, Florida, USA

0 posted 2002-09-09 12:30 PM

Sometimes they are annoying
Even overprotective
They watch over their children
That are in there 20's
Like they are children

They don't realize
How much
They annoy us

We try to tell them
But they don't listen
And ignore us

They act like we are still their babies
When we are not
When we are full grown adults
And can make decisions on our own
And old enough to mistakes
Without being told we told you so

I know parents do this out of love
But why can't they just
Back off a little?

Cold hands means a warm heart

© Copyright 2002 the_loner_23 - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2002-09-09 12:40 PM

Hehe, because they are parents?
secretlife
since 2002-07-30
Posts 359
Grean Earth ,,,
2 posted 2002-09-09 12:54 PM

Yeh your right. Why they annoy us. I always asks my self these questions. But what to do like what
Midnitesun said 'becaues they are parents'..

Thanx for these words.

Secretlife,
(Easy come,,Easy go)

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
3 posted 2002-09-09 12:59 PM

I think Kacy speaks to truth, Julie...
Its really hard for us to let go of our kids and let them be adults...

Every other species in the animal kingdom sends their babies out on their own as soon as they can fly or walk... but our human frailty seems to make us hold on to ours for as long as they will let us do so.

I bet that when you become a parent, you will understand this a bit better...

You just need to have a good talk with them.
~ hugs of advice which I hope is good

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

ThunderMage
since 2002-06-20
Posts 812
Canada
4 posted 2002-09-09 02:10 PM

Yea... they don't realize that I've taken over the role of the hero in the story now. The torch has been passed, and I was burned once but what the heck? LOL

What is life without poetry and adventure?
"Little sister" is just another way of saying "Guardian Angel"!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2002-09-09 06:28 PM

(big hugggssssss) Julie, after that talk we had yesterday evening, I know where you are coming from and I have a bit of shared advice to share with you. An Anonymous philosopher writes, "The four-letter word for psychotherapy is "talk". Please talk to them, let them know how you feel, say you love them, respect them very much, and respect their faith and doctrines, but also you are entitled to your own life as well and that you deserve to have a little faith doted upon and let them know you are responsible and won't let them down. Otherwise, if they can't listen, then they can't help you and I suggest then you should just move to an apartment, begin your own life, and visit whenever you feel like it! (sigh) My thoughts are with you, sweet friend, I hope everything works out for you soon, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Julie, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
6 posted 2002-09-09 09:16 PM

Hon you sound just like my children. And the oldest is 28 and I'm still hovering like a 'mother hen.'

The annoyance just comes with the title. And we call it love.

Hugs, Marti

Every now and then take a good look at something not made
with hands -- a mountain, a star, the power of the ocean.
There will come to you wisdom,

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
7 posted 2002-09-09 10:10 PM

loner - if my parents were still alive, they could annoy me all they wanted. You never know what you have till it's gone. Interesting write. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
8 posted 2002-09-09 10:25 PM

loner...Ask yourself would it be better if they didn't love you? or would it be better if they beat you? or would it be better if they weren't here anymore?
Talk to them and be patient, after all they are just saying they love you in their own special way...Paul

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
9 posted 2002-09-09 11:02 PM

When our 24 year old son was transferred out of state, he said, "Don't worry, Mom, I've got a secretary who picks the lint off my suit and tells me if I have a clump of hair out of order."

At 38, he rode his bike 2 miles to work and back in CA, and I remember saying, "Oh, please be careful in the fog."

Once a Mom, always a Mom. Don't be humiliated by remarks, know they're just exuding LOVE before the brain's in gear.

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
10 posted 2002-09-09 11:11 PM

{snickering silently at the back of the room}
And I bet you annoy them too. The respect you will one day get from them is only earned by putting up with this kind of parental attention. And not acting like a child when they display their concern for your selection of friends, lifestyle, diet, hygene, sleep patterns, and all the other stuff that as a young adult, you think you should have control over.

I was once your age. And the very next year I became a parent. I was then placed in a position of ever growing and ever changing responsibility for another life.  Your parents still feel very responsible I might summize for your welfare. My son is now 12 and I have my nose in ALL of his business, even though the sun rises and sets on him and I know he is a good, honest, well-mannered well-groomed pre-teen. I am sure I will still have things to say and advise to give him well after he has left my care and starts out on his own..... just because I have been there....

Our parents have been there, too. Cut them some slack... they've more than likely had to put up with you, too, for many a year. My mother and grandmother still think they have valuable advice to give... some I want and some I don't,... but all that I need. You would do well to think more highly than "annoying" of your parents.

BTW... if you still live under their roof, they deserve a lot better than this.  

Sherry

P.S. What have you done nice for them today?

Cherish the good memories past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow.
But above all... be kind to yourself today.

TradingSpaces19
since 2002-08-31
Posts 134
Arvada, Colorado
11 posted 2002-09-13 06:26 PM

Dear Julie,

Thank you for sharing this poem. It is great and you are speaking the truth. (big hugs). if you ever want to or need to talk you can email me at TradingSpaces19@hotmail.com

Take care,
Andrea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » Parents

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary