navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Hey, block busters, any ideas?
Poetry Challenge!
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hey, block busters, any ideas? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

0 posted 2002-12-26 11:04 PM

Greetings all, and Happy New Year!

This is a challenge of a different sort.
In about two weeks I will be conducting a workshop for a few friends.
The topic will be "Busting the Block" or, "How to Beat Writer's Block in a Bookstore".
I have a couple of ideas, and I think they might work, but I would like to tap into the creativity of this prolific group for some inspiration.

Here's the setting:
We meet in a Barnes & Noble during retail business hours and there are shoppers and browsers and readers all around.  There is an in-house coffee shop.  The group is small and we meet here several times a year.  Some write frequently, others not.  A very few have published small editions or perhaps a single chapbook.  The age range will likely be from the early 20s to 80+, mostly gals, few guys.  The idea, of course, is to write your poem(s) while there in the busy bookstore.  I will have no more than an hour and a half to pull this off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks already,
Kraw'

[This message has been edited by Krawdad (12-26-2002 11:09 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Krawdad - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-12-26 11:09 PM

more guys

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

2 posted 2002-12-26 11:11 PM

LOL, K!
Don't I wish.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2002-12-26 11:57 PM

grin...

call my agent.

hugs you...

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2002-12-30 05:45 PM

K... observation and story telling. Have them single out one person they see and tell that persons story.

conversation... pick one person they would either like to have a conversation with or pick a person from the crowd and write an imaginary conversation between that person and themselves.

Description... have each describe what they are drinking or eating and how it makes them feel.

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

5 posted 2002-12-30 10:08 PM

Cpat,
I knew we had something in common . . .
The next time I walked into the store after taking this assignment, I thought of your first suggestion.  Thanks for confiming it for me.

I like your other suggestions too.

Here's another one I thought of, trying to tailor something specifically to the bookstore:
Randomly select a specific stack, shelf, book and page in which to find the poem's topic or first line.  A wealth of ideas there.

Thanks for your help.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

6 posted 2002-12-31 10:15 AM

K... one I thought might be interesting is to randomly select 3 titles from a row of books, put them on a slips of paper and ask each person to draw a slip. The three titles on the slip must then be incorporated into a poem... That however may be a bit challenging for some and you were looking for a "quick" assignment...

hope it goes well for you!! and HAppy New Year

FLOWERGIRL
since 2003-01-04
Posts 40
the woods of Pa
7 posted 2003-01-04 01:11 PM

What a lovely idea. One more thing you can do at the busy bookstore (break mental block). Any other good and different ideas??

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
8 posted 2003-01-12 10:29 PM

ohh I wish I could join the workshop! or find some people to start one!! this looks FUN!
My only idea for anything would be to have them close their eyes and think of what to write. SO only doing it according to sounds, which, of course, at a bookstore is usually extremely quiet.
Could write about quiets awkwardness, or some sound that they hear.. whatever!

Have fun!

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Hey, block busters, any ideas?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary