navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Dactyl anyone
Poetry Challenge!
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dactyl anyone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia

0 posted 2002-02-22 05:19 PM

My challenge to you is to write a dactyl or double dactyl and play with the form .
The rules are:

A dactyl, as you may know, is a poetic foot of the form >-- (ON-off-off). For example,
interstate, realize, microphone, cereal, limerick, etc. etc. A double dactyl, naturally enough, is
two dactyls in a row.

Two stanzas, each comprising three lines of
dactylic dimeter followed by a line with a dactyl and a single accent. The two stanzas have to
rhyme on their last line. The first line of the first stanza is repetitive nonsense. The second line of
the first stanza is somebody's name -- strictly speaking, a proper noun. Note that this name must
itself be double-dactylic. E.g. Gloria Vanderbilt, Jesus of Nazareth, Gilbert and Sullivan,
Archangel Gabriel. In the second stanza, one entire line must be a double-dactylic word. E.g.
biopsychology, geopolitical, gastrointestinal, abecedarian, etc.

have fun

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

© Copyright 2002 Lynne Dale - All Rights Reserved
Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

1 posted 2002-02-22 10:36 PM

Have you been standing too close to a microwave maybe?
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
2 posted 2002-02-22 10:47 PM

I have been standing close to the microwave as it happens...how did you know. I have been telling it to hurry up.

On a more serious note I have written an example in Open. It is not as hard as it looks and it is fun (if you have the time because your microwave is too slow   )

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

[This message has been edited by Kethry (02-22-2002 10:50 PM).]

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2002-02-26 01:33 AM

Alright Keth, Check out 19,,, My two cats.

Cherish the good memories past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow.
But above all... be kind to yourself today.

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
4 posted 2002-02-26 09:59 PM

i'm confused

Write what you feel, feel what you wrtie.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Dactyl anyone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary