navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » Wife Beater (Warning, graphic content)
Open Poetry #20
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wife Beater (Warning, graphic content) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2002-05-07 01:29 PM

Wife Beater

by Michael  

She’s beaten, bloodied, but within.
So careful, he, that it not show.
He’s never hit her with a fist,
though broken bones, that still try, grow.

No need for her to wear long sleeves.
Her bruises, clothed by tender skin.
When she thinks beatings are no more,
they suddenly begin again.

He broke her back, in metaphor.
To her, it seems so much more real.
She still tastes blood each day she wakes.
It’s hard to know what she should feel.

Men’s words draw blood, the same as fists.
They cripple will, hurt self-esteem,
imprison one they swear to love,
but that’s not love, so it would seem.

(This poem is dedicated to my niece and many friends that daily live with this form of wife beating)

© Copyright 2002 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-05-07 01:33 PM

ah, the psychological terrorist! Much more difficult to recognize...and seldom do they recognize themselves. Nice slant to this Michael. Peace and good time healing vibes to ya!
Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
2 posted 2002-05-07 01:36 PM

You've given a difficult topic a great release, so many are abused, daily, by word, and word alone...and they truly never see the open door...

Well done, Michael Auguste...

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
3 posted 2002-05-07 01:43 PM

Michael darling boy, this is outstanding and powerful writing, the graphic descriptions of this kind of intimidation and punishment is far more insidious than the type that leaves physical marks. Very well written this is truly a message that needs to be broadcast to all who have compassion and hearts that feel.

Wonderful absolutely wonderful writing
Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

[This message has been edited by Marsha (05-07-2002 01:44 PM).]

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
4 posted 2002-05-07 01:50 PM

Karen,
You couldn't have said it better.  Yes, psychological terrorism says it all.  Thanks for the vibes, my friend.

Lady, sometimes the door is only slightly ajar and the woman needs to put his fingers in the crack and give it a good yank!  Yes, she still holds to key to her cell, but it is up to her to come to that realization.  Thank you, my friend.

Marsha,
I'm too old to be a darling boy. LOL!  Yes, I do think this message needs to be broadcast to show that this form of abuse is NOT acceptable!  Thanks for stopping by.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
5 posted 2002-05-07 01:59 PM

Words can pack a mean, mean punch, and leave scars oh, so deep. Well done Auguste. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2002-05-07 02:50 PM

(tears fall down my cheek) Oh Michael, this is terrible, sweet friend, my heart goes out to your niece and so many others affected by this crime and I pray for her and hope time will somehow ease the wounds though sadly it seems the memories will always be with her! (BIG HUGGGSSSSSS) God Bless You, sweet friend, this is sad but powerful, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Michael, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2002-05-07 04:44 PM

Verbal abuse is never acceptable...someone needs to verbally adjust his brain...James
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2002-05-07 05:38 PM

You've handled a tough subject really well, Michael. For every person who shows signs of physical abuse, I'd bet there are at least ten who suffer the verbal abuse, usually in silence, for fear that the physical form is festering right behind the words. I've had a taste of this scenario once before, and it is very, very destructive. Thanks for speaking out for your niece, and I hope she finds the courage to walk away from this.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
9 posted 2002-05-07 07:14 PM

Michael

It hurts too, to see those we care about hurt this way.  Thank  you for caring, and for using words to speak your feel..in a good way.  Hugs!

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
10 posted 2002-05-07 07:34 PM

Wow...you describe the pain and abuse very clearly. I've been in this postion and never wish to retun there. Well done!
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
11 posted 2002-05-07 08:38 PM

They cripple will, hurt self-esteem,
imprison one they swear to love,
but that’s not love, so it would seem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael, I saw this here earlier today and shyed away from reading it for my own personal reasons...the hurt lies too close to the surface, even though it was many many years ago now.
This is very very well done.
I would like to see every woman read this.
Thank you for speaking out on a difficult subject....Verbal Abuse
~Heart Hugs~

~Somewhere in my heart I'm always
dancing with you in the summer rain~

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

12 posted 2002-05-07 09:26 PM

Along with Nancy, I too had a very hard time reading this for some very personal reasons,
like a ghost haunting from the past.... but Michael.....you tell this so well, so honestly, with so much truth.  Sometimes those wounds are the hardest to heal...
Hugs to you for writing this...

Like a red brick,
in a white wall
somebodies brush
forgot to paint...
lonely....(as sung by Tracy Lawrence..)

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
13 posted 2002-05-08 12:54 PM

Sometimes verbal abuse hurts just as much as physical abuse...
thank you for sharing this with us, Michael.
I hope you are feeling well.
~many healing hugs

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Auguste
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
14 posted 2002-05-08 04:27 PM

Nightshade,
Yes, very deep.  Thanks for stopping in

Noah,
Yes, I'd also call it a crime, but one that isn't taken as seriously as it should be.  Thanks, my friend.

James,
No sir, never acceptable for any reason.  Thank you

Kacy,
She's recently enrolled in college and plans to better equip herself to be able to take care of her son when she gets a divorce.  Thank you for the nice words and know that I wish you the very best.

Martie,
Thank you, my friend.  It's good to see you here.

hootowl,
Please don't ever allow yourself to get in this position again.  No one deserves that kind of treatment for any reason.  Take care and thank you for reading.

Nancy,
Yes, unlike physical pain, this kind of pain lasts forever.  Hugs to you, my friend and God bless you.  Thank you for reading.

Gentle Spirit,
I pray that you find peace and no longer need fear the ghosts in your past.  God bless you and thank you for reading.  Hugs to you also.

Lyra,
I am feeling well and thank you.  I hope you are also not only feeling well, but doing well too.  Healing hugs back to you.  

Everyone,
Thank you so much for reading and I hope you each find the peace you rightly deserve.  God bless you.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » Wife Beater (Warning, graphic content)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary