navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Zone Alarm and PiP Problems
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Zone Alarm and PiP Problems Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2005-05-07 07:45 AM

Ok.  Here's the skinny.  I re-established my account with Zone Alarm, and now, even though I can get into PiP, read and comment, the moment I hit my submit button after posting a response, I go to a blank page.  I have to back button to the comment, NOT hit submit again but instead, click on MainForum and go back to the Forums page, then re-enter, say, Open.

Not my choice of surfing.

I've looked through the Zone Alarm tutorial and all that, but since nothing pops up and tells me I can either select to proceed, etc., I'm stymied. [I am truly hoping for another 'duh' moment so I can come back and say 'I fixed it!' but I don't think that is going to happen.]

Help!

Your luvable Sunshine...

© Copyright 2005 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-05-07 07:46 AM

Of course, it doesn't happen when I'm submitting a new topic.  Let's see if it happens now...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-05-07 07:47 AM

Yep.  Only when replying.  

Blank page with this in the address area:
/main/postings.cgi

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2005-05-07 09:36 AM

It's possible that one of your spyware blockers is keeping the page from redirecting -- or it may be that the security settings on your browser are set to disable an active-x command.

Those are really GOOD ideas for browsing -- but unfortunately there is no link on the redirect page at PIP that allows you to click on through on the reply or edit pages if your browser doesn't automatically redirect.

You will probably have to either dis-able your anti-spyware program, pop-up blocker, or reset the security settings on your browser.  If you're using IE then it will be under Tools/Internet Options then hit the Security tab -- if it is set to a custom level your anti-spyware program probably did that for you -- you can set it for PIP by clicking the default button and then adjusting the bar to the medium level.

Hope this helps.

Remember though -- you'll be vulnerable to a hijack again if you reset your security level.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2005-05-07 09:38 AM

hmm... no... there is a click thru link on the reply page -- it's just the edit page that doesn't have it...

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
5 posted 2005-05-07 09:46 AM

Zone Alarm is a firewall Karilea?  Is it blocking your cookies?  That might be the problem too..  will it allow you to set piptalk to a trusted site?  or just remove it from the block list? -- I don't have Zone Alarm so I'm not certain how it works...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2005-05-07 10:04 AM

I'm not certain how it's supposed to work either, Reb.  I've just cleared my PiP cookies...and am still having the same problem.  I will follow through with your suggestions and see what happens.

Sigh.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2005-05-07 10:24 AM

test
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-05-07 10:25 AM

Restoring was the solution - again.

Now, for an e-mail to Zone Alarm to have them credit [again] my account...

sigh.

Reb?  you're a doll!  Thanks!

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
9 posted 2005-05-07 10:40 AM

I just recently did a spyware doctor, and now when I am in pip all of my replies are bold. I don't know if it looks that way to just me or what? Also when I am posting something, and I want to preview, I have to hold the ctrl button down until the window comes up. That is extremely fustrating. Is that due to the new spyware doctor? Is that ok?
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
10 posted 2005-05-07 11:42 AM

Sounds more like a browser setting than anything else.  I've used ZA for years, and never had a problem.  Of course, I use the freebie version.

This is why I like Firefox.  Tool/Options.  Under Cookies, allow piptalk.com and netpoets.com.  Then head to Web Features and allow both in the popup blocker.

Before I learned of Firefox, I used the GoogleBar with IE.  It blocked popups unless you gave a site permission.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
11 posted 2005-05-07 12:47 PM

<b>Karilea~
I don't even have Zone Alarm on this computer ... and I STILL get the dreaded 'Blank White Page' when submitting a REPLY~
And also the same URL as you get - /main/postings.cgi

Yet ... at my son's computer, and he DOES have Zone Alarm installed, I don't have that problem ???

I've had to deal with it for quite some time now ... soooo, though it's not my choice, I try to make do~

Have Norton Anti-Virus Internet Security ENABLED ... have set it NOT to 'block pop-ups' (necessary for PREVIEWING a post)... but that didn't help either~

Oh well ... it's only May ... I'll go tend the garden~

Huglets
~*Marge*~</b>

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
12 posted 2005-05-07 04:25 PM

ok, so I went into view and found that my text size was too big, maybe i hit it on accident? at any rate when I put it on medium, my replies aren't bold anymore! yay for me...I fixed that part on my own!!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2005-05-07 04:52 PM

Thanks, Ali, Marge, and SEA...

As I stated, I went ahead and Restored the computer to two days ago - and things are fine now.

I wish I were a WIZ...

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
14 posted 2005-05-07 06:10 PM

Not a problem, and almost the entire suite of scan progs came from suggestions in this forum by other PiPsters.  SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG, ZoneAlarm...one of the first cdrw's I made was just for drivers, must-have progs, and my scanning tools.  It has been very handy for the comps I've cleaned, both ours and others for offline installation, definition updates, and running.  Then after the initial scans find and clean nefarious critters, I go online and get the latest defs and updates then scan again.  On some of the slower systems, like that old Dell with one of the early Pentium 4's, all the scans took roughly 13 hours to complete.  I had a good laugh at that one, since even my archaic slot-1 P3 800 could run laps around it.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Zone Alarm and PiP Problems

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary