navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » The Golden Rule In Relationships
Open Poetry #25
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Golden Rule In Relationships Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA

0 posted 2003-04-09 09:15 AM

Photo From Webshots
~**~
There is a rule I was taught as a child
I know you have heard it too
"To do unto others as you
would have them do unto you"

This Golden Rule of yesteryear
is not used in many relationships today
If more couples would only practice this
Maybe more real love would stay

Never forgetting to show
the love felt in your heart
If actions speak louder than words
then they must be a very real part

Not only showing them that you care
but telling them as well
If we will not fail to do this
then maybe a happy story we can tell

For a relationship to grow
and a bond formed between the two
You should love the other as much
as you want them to love you

I may be sounding as if I know
everything a relationship may take
But I am still learning each day
trying not my same past mistakes to make

For all we can do is try
our efforts to be our very best
Then pray our love will forever stand
each of this life's many tests
~**~

© Copyright 2003 Ethel GG Kent - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2003-04-09 09:22 AM

Love-wise words, from a love-wise woman!

Wishing eternal love for you and your other half...

Warm hugs,
Linda

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
2 posted 2003-04-09 09:26 AM

very lovely golden rule...

regards,
sudhir

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
3 posted 2003-04-09 09:37 AM

Ethel,

Great message. So important in ~all~ relationships. But, I do not believe in turning the other cheek, no matter how suble the abuse might be, if it doesn't stop, I do! ....in fact Christ didn't mean it, like that...to be abused in any way and continue to put up with it in His name, Na! .....I give people lots of slack....but some are out to hang themselves no matter how much rope you give them.

Sadly, again in any relationship, it is sometimes better to walk away, knowing you did your best at trying to be a ~genuine~ loving friend....and sometimes, that works, at least in God's eyes, I believe. Walk away before more damage happens.

Again, this is a wonderful message and in relation to my poem: "Tears of Your Joy" yesterday, so very, very true...Now if I could find a miracle cure I might be inclined to find ~him~... All prayers welcome....

Grinning here, Hugs and Love, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2003-04-09 09:40 AM

a good rule, but...both parties have to feel the same and act on it. Most times  something changes, one grows and the other doesn't or one separates from and finds another to give his/her love to. And don't forget those who thrive on going after a married man/woman...enticing them until there is no going back.

I am one who dislikes cliches... they may have worked years ago and that means many years ago...but as I have come to believe, crime and "bad behavior" pay today.

Commitment is more important than even love. For love changes and has stages of growth and failure, it is the commitment that one must have to those vows that most of us make and take and then discard when the going gets tough. Sorry..a sore subject with me. Just like I don't believe in soulmates or completing one another. You have to be a whole person yourself and then you add to another's life or they to yours.

hugss
M

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
5 posted 2003-04-09 09:42 AM

Thank you, Linda. We both want
"eternal love", so maybe it
will always be for us.
Hugs,
Ethel

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
6 posted 2003-04-09 09:43 AM

Thank you, Sudhir.
I appreciate you stopping by
to read and reply.  
Hugs,
Ethel

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
7 posted 2003-04-09 09:48 AM

Pat, I agree with you. When abuse is in the picture, that proves that both parties don't want the relationship to work in the first place. It takes two (in any relationship..friendship, etc.) to want to make it work. One person can't do it all.

Yeah, I did get this idea from your one line in your poem about the person "needing some one to love them the way they wanted to be loved". I hope you don't mind.

Thanks for your reply.

Hugs,
Ethel

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
8 posted 2003-04-09 09:58 AM

Yes, Maureen, you are totally right.
COMMITTMENT  is the key to any  relationship. I tried to say that, but I can't say what I mean as effectively as you and some of the others.

I'm really sorry that I hit a "sore spot" with you. That is never my intention when I try to write a poem. I know very well that it takes both parties doing their very best to make any kind of relationship work. It may be a surprise to everyone, but I really don't tell all about all my past relationships. I've had a lot of failed ones. That's part of the reason I write so many things about the relationship I have now. I am very glad (and still surprised after five years), that it is as good as it is. It's the only happy thing in my life righ now, so that's why I write about me and Gary so much. As I said in this poem, I am trying very hard to learn from my mistakes, because I've made a lot of them in my lifetime.  

I'm also sorry that you don't like "cliches".......and another thing...I have had a lot of "bad behavior" in my lifetime....on my part as well as on the part of the other part of my relationships at the time.

Well, like I said, I'm very sorry this hit a sore spot with you this morning. If I'd known it was going to make you so upset (or anyone else) I wouldn't have even posted it. Like I said, I don't post things to upset people.

Hugs to you, Maureen,
Ethel

(Oh, and I'm trying very hard to be a "whole person" myself. I know that until a person really loves themselves, they can't even begin to love anyone else.)

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (04-09-2003 10:14 AM).]

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
9 posted 2003-04-09 11:50 AM

Ethel...as I told you in my email..soulmate and cliches are just words and phrases..show me..act your truths and love (that's what your poem also says and I agree with that)

When someone tells me time heals all wounds and take one day at a time..after awhile they are meaningless to me, because I have no choice about one day at a time as that is how they arrive. *s

How many soulmates can one have in this life? for some they have had more than one which defies its meaning. I was not upset. Your poem just brought some thoughts to mind that I wished to voice.

Remember when a poem can do that, then your poem has reached and touched someone as it did me. Don't ever  apologize for that.

hugss
M

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
10 posted 2003-04-09 12:02 PM

Ethel,

No, I don't care. I was glad we both share that thought. I believe it with all my heart!  That it would spawn a poem from anyone else is a compliment.

Many poems here, inspire my poetry...
Sometimes I give credit, sometimes not!  The other I wrote about feeling Loved, was quickly written after having read Sy's poetry....just comes to ya sometimes....

Also, as ~M~ said, don't apologize for writing anything...poetry or comments, for I believe we should all know each other well enough now, to know most of us are not coming from a hateful place...

I think this poem very appropriate and take it literally....You are SO RIGHT!

Hugs you...and love.... Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
11 posted 2003-04-09 05:47 PM

Ethel, this is a beautiful picture. And, the poem is just as wonderful. I was taught the same as you. I wish you and your guy the best.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
12 posted 2003-04-10 10:38 AM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Ethel, it saddens me to see so many jusge relationships now by how "sexy" someone is or their body or their money they have! (sad sigh) I am a classic believer and I just want to make my girl happy by being me and being faithful to her by love and understanding! (sigh) I wish all the world could still love this way, dearest friend, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Ethel, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
13 posted 2003-04-10 11:37 AM

For all we can do is try
our efforts to be our very best

And that applies to poetry as well. Ethel, you may not be comfortable with calling yourself a poet (I know i'm not ) but nonetheless let's try hard to be the best writer we can be  

Then pray our love will forever stand
each of this life's many tests

beautiful. I wish you and Gary well

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
14 posted 2003-04-10 04:13 PM

I know I have said this before to you, but I can't help saying it again...I hope I find what you have found with him.  I, too, have been in an abusive marriage.  I have my freedom now, gained only through the strength of my Lord.  Right now, I do not feel I can get close to anyone, but your writings have truly been an inspiration to me.  Thank you and may God bless you on your life's journey with Gary.

- Patricia

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
15 posted 2003-04-10 07:45 PM

Ethel, I am thrilled to see that you figured out how to add pictures. And what a wonderful picture it is.

My Hon and I have survived 34 years because we respect each other and are willing to sit down and communicate. If the going is rough, we rally together and stick it out. Something today's younger generation doesn't seem to understand. Sadly, we seem to live in a throw-away society. I am grateful that I am so blessed.

Hugs sweet friend, Marti

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.  A.Einstein

carol
since 2003-01-25
Posts 624
Florida USA
16 posted 2003-04-11 12:51 PM

Ethel, yes it is good to have someone that also respects this rule I know because I have been married to someone for 13yrs. that does that but I can also relate to what nakdthoughts said because I was also in a marriage like that for 25yrs. I believe every one should go by the golden rule in everything they do

Love You

Real friends celebrate in who we are and have faith in all that we can become
Lots of Love
Rita

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
17 posted 2003-04-11 01:16 AM

Well! I am totally impressed with this write of your feelings and your point of view, very lovely. The picture - well that is awesome.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » The Golden Rule In Relationships

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary