navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » Cheerios, weapons of mass destruction
Open Poetry #25
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cheerios, weapons of mass destruction Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2003-03-31 12:05 PM

Today was a fierce battle!
My bravest Cheerios lined up
against the edge of the bowl,
ready to defend my arteries
against the Cholesterol invaders,
who attempted to clog the veins
and capture the essence
of the life forces within me.
But my O's stood their ground,
they did not let me down,
and tomorrow I will be strong enough to eat
squishy Krispy Kreme donuts once again!
Yay!

Did you think all this time
those O's were just for kids?
Do you think this poem is just
about cereal?
Sorry, there are no fun little prizes
in the box, either.

© Copyright 2003 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
1 posted 2003-03-31 12:10 PM

Love it! Hope my congrats become the first response!

I made it! Now I can sneak back and edit in the fact that I love humor in poetry, if it's handled with style and originality -- like this...

[This message has been edited by Ratleader (03-31-2003 12:12 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2003-03-31 12:12 PM

looks like you won that battle
thanks for reading

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2003-03-31 12:12 PM

Society is all about illusions isn't it?
Btw This brought to mind a little piece I'd wrote awhile ago, not a poem just a little tirade

"Is it just me or is anyone else seriously disturbed by cereal commercials?
Take for example, Trix and specifically the Trix Rabbit. What kind of message
are they sending to children, why the exclusion? It's total intolerance and I think
the equality groups should really get involved.
As for the rabbit himself, I find it hard to believe in a world were you can buy kidneys and assorted body parts on Ebay, where kids are selling vials of crack at school, that a rabbit isn't able to make deal with someone to get Trix? Oh, and by the way, I don't know about you but if a 6 foot tall talking white rabbit walks up to me and I'm not on LSD, I'll pretty much give him anything he asks for.
  But then these kids aren't afraid of anything it seems. Just look how the go after that poor little leprauchan. Now everybody knows about leprachauns and their evil magic. Yet these little demon spawns not only steal his pot of gold they chase the poor b*stard around and taunt him. I personally can't understand why the leprauchan hasn't snapped yet and used his magic to turn these kids into roaches or something.
  Then of course we have Tony the Tiger, I think it's blatantly obvious that good old Tony is on performance enhancing drugs. First of all he's over 50 and second there's no way a natural quadriped can not only walk erect but also achieve excellence in every sport known to man.
  I could go on but I'll leave you with a few more disturbing images we're sending our children:

*Captain Crunch's war mongering against the soggies
*Sugar Bear blatant defiance of the law breaking, entering and stealing Sugar Crisp
*Honey Bee's severe addiction to Cheerios
*The mob/gang mentality of Snap,Crackle and Pop

Finally I'd like to call on Tucan Sam to strike a blow for Gay rights and come out of the closet already, we all know Sam, we know."

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...
4 posted 2003-03-31 12:13 PM

Sounds like you had yourself quite an "O" there, Kacy...  

-MVS

You CAN make a difference:
http://educate-yourself.org/

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-03-31 12:19 PM

LOL, and yet I know the seriousness of your tirade Raph. But what about Wheaties, the breakfast of Champions?

Mark, thanks poet pal. I was just about to eat a handful of those O's when the letters just jumped from bowl to screen.

bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
6 posted 2003-03-31 12:24 PM

again you stand strong and speak with conviction.great write,i appreciated it.

Live like it's your last day...
Dance like nobody's watching...
Love like you've never been hurt...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-03-31 12:27 PM

Hey Ray, it's colder than heck tonight, +37F...
I know, don't be a tease.
Thanks for sharing the moment.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2003-03-31 12:28 PM

ah I had to stop somewhere Kacy lol..but you remind of an old John Belushi sketch on SNL..instead of wheaties it was DOnuts..oh you have to see it i can't describe it but i'm doubled over laughing thinking of it..lol
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2003-03-31 12:30 PM

Me too, I remember! It feels good to laugh once in awhile. It's harder to come by a good honest laugh these days.
Peace to you.

S Arthur Grey
since 2001-03-19
Posts 719
woven by a poet's loom
10 posted 2003-03-31 12:49 PM

Hmmmmm
CheeriOs and dOnuts?
What's THAT all about?
Oh, I get it, circular thinking . . .

But real guys don't eat cheerios, they go for the real stuff . . . oatmeal!
(with a coupl'o raisins, too)

S

bbent
since 2001-01-07
Posts 521
Alaska
11 posted 2003-03-31 12:52 PM

to bad...it's 40 here and getting really hard to find anything resembling snow...well,eat in peace,i'm off to raid the fridge myself.a good time for some specialK but i fear i just lack the discpline at the moment.lol

Live like it's your last day...
Dance like nobody's watching...
Love like you've never been hurt...

[This message has been edited by bbent (03-31-2003 12:55 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2003-03-31 12:58 PM

Sir Arthur, LOL, it has to be creamy but thick, with really flavorful honey drizzled all over it so it slides down the throat smoothly.

Ray, raid the fridge for Special K? Now I'm really worried about you. Just kidding, I ate that stuff once.
What has Raph got to say about that one?

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
13 posted 2003-03-31 01:35 AM

You asked lol What is it about K that makes it so special, what eletist group decided to seperate them from the regular K..ok I'm done..g'night folks
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
14 posted 2003-03-31 05:41 AM

Honey Nut Cheerios are my favorite... I've been told that oatmeal is best for fighting cholesterol.  But you have to cook that and the Cheerios are ready for action...James
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
15 posted 2003-03-31 06:05 AM

LMAOOOOOOOOO yet again - I think we have all gone nuts - I didnt start it - its Raphs fault  . . .

Kacy - no - I see strength in this one - hidden behind the O's - nice job here - as always . . .  and you thought I was crazy hmppghh  . . .  xxoo

Raph - lmaooooooooooo - I love that - glad you posted that - still laughing . . .  - ok since were talking about food and SNL . . .  cheeburger - cheeeburger - cheeburger  - frie . . .  hehehe - ok please tell me you know what Im talking about - love this . . .

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
16 posted 2003-03-31 09:29 AM

LOL Love that...

Oh, and by the way, I don't know about you but if a 6 foot tall talking white rabbit walks up to me and I'm not on LSD, I'll pretty much give him anything he asks for.

ROFLOLOL

raph you are Completely INSANE...and I love it! LOL

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
17 posted 2003-03-31 09:27 PM

This is yet another outstanding job..
Sue, you forgot the Coke (or was it no Coke, Pepsi??)

Imagine all the People living life in peace...
John Lennon

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
18 posted 2003-03-31 09:34 PM

(big hugggssssssss) I agree, I have noticed too that the innocence is fading away from what used to be relatively harmless commericals, Snap, Crackle, and Pop do seem like a mafia to me now, and the Golden Crisp Bear and Trix Rabbit give me the impression they are not encouraging the value of sharing! Then you have Count Chocula, the Cocoa Puffs bird, the Froot Loops toucan (he is actually more pleasant), and yes, the athletes too on Wheaties boxes can be disturbing too, with so many taking steroids and giving kids the impression if they take them too they will be with the "champions"! (sad sigh) Ditch the logos and mascots, I'm just in for the taste of the cereal, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Kacy, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

kayjay
Member Elite
since 2002-06-24
Posts 2015
Oregon
19 posted 2003-03-31 10:14 PM

Thank you, Kacy, for the original write which both inspired the zanies, and gives some pause for serious thought.  As for me, I was traumatized by a nun who caught me in 8th grade using cheerios to draw the outline a classmates bustline.  Hadn't thought of that in 100 years...oh my..Ken

Through rubble and trouble and dark of night
The yawn of a dawn will hasten the light

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
20 posted 2003-03-31 11:21 PM

LOL at this thread!
You guys are all so funny!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » Cheerios, weapons of mass destruction

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary