navwin » Discussion » The Alley » IM GOING CRAZY
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic IM GOING CRAZY Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2004-05-21 06:00 AM

I don't know what it is, a bird maybe, bug...I don't know but it is one LOUD, and I mean loud Cherp. It is NON Stop outside my window.  And when I mean non stop, it is one long cherp. From like 8pm to 4am.  Then Yesterday, nothing, peace and quiet, all the way up till this morning at 4am...it's now 6am, and I sit and type and listen to that NOISE...If it's a baby bird, please STOP>... I have had on every appliance in house and I can stil hear that thing like it's right in my house.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....ohhhh so tired...

© Copyright 2004 J.B - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2004-05-21 12:38 PM

Is there anyone else there that hears it??
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2004-05-21 02:48 PM

Well, I didn't ask anyone else in the neighborhood, but my boyfriend hears it. It's hard not to hear, it's pretty darn loud.
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
3 posted 2004-05-21 02:49 PM

One word

Cicada

A 17 year event that ends the life cycle of this bug.  Not to be confused with locus, those are grasshopper style and are very destructive.

Gloom

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-05-21 03:29 PM

I have a robin that has decided not only is my roof his perch, but he deigns to sit on the fireplace and his song reverberates through the house.  Now, I don't mind at all, because I am, literally, up with the birds.  But it has been known to wake a few up in my house.

In fact this year, we're more or less bird saturated.  The robins are already on their second nest, with their first babes already acting fully grown and almost sporting all of their mature color...and they have been MOST territorial this year, as well, so much so, that when nesting, they're more than likely to swoop down on any "intruders".  Ahem...not quite the docile birds of last year!

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2004-05-21 03:40 PM

I really don't think it's a Cicada, it sounds more like a bird, I think I saw the nest in the tree outside my window..but who really knows.

Sunshine, I know how you feel, I have the only dang tree in the neighborhood and all the birds flock to it...Which I don't mind, during the DAY! but 11pm to 8am I mind! LOL  

We have a lot of baby birds without their mom's though.  There are so many cats in this area and they kill all of them.  

Mostly, I feel bad for the poor ducks, they like to swim in our mud puddles, just goes to show don't feed the ducks! the poor things have it so nice here they won't fly away for the winter.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2004-05-21 03:43 PM

Actually, Professor you could be right! I forgot the tree outside my window is a Apple tree...don't they like fruit?
Neeraja
since 2002-06-22
Posts 812
The Netherlands
7 posted 2004-05-22 11:10 AM

I had the same problem once... it turns out that my firealarm needed a new battery.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2004-05-22 01:51 PM

hehe, I'm glad I don't have one...ooops.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2004-05-22 02:09 PM

Nodding here.

Once I heard this slight squeaking so I went to investigate. As I went tip-toeing through the house, the sound would seem to become clearer, and I would stop to listen, and the noise would stop. As soon as I'd resume my investigation, however, I could hear it again:

"wheeeee. wheeeee."

I thought I was going crazy too. But when I discovered the source of that irritating sound, I didn't suspect my insanity any longer--I was convinced I'd long been in the land of "la-la."

The sound was coming from me--I'd developed a two pack a day cigarette habit and was wheezing like an old steam engine.

grin.

You going crazy? At least I'll have some company eh?

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2004-05-23 09:04 AM

lol, I hear ya on that...but...this time I found out what it was.  

Yesterday, I was talking to my neighbor and I come to find out that he heard it too.  He said he got no sleep either.  So at 8pm that night, the THING started again.. So what else was there to do but hunt it down! We located the sound in his flower tree.  Here we are 6 adults with flash lights looking for something very small... Then we found it, a tiny, tiny little red frog!  

I never knew a frog could make such a loud noise, so we grabbed it, and took it away.  I guess since we had a lot of rain, it was attracted to the vegatation, and his yard flooded so it had a nice pond too..LOL  Ahhhh now I can sleep, and it was a wonderful night!

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
11 posted 2004-05-23 09:26 AM

...My mum thought we had a tree frog stuck in the kitchen one time...lots of high pitched squeaky noises and the like. It turned out that the Carbon monoxide detector needed a new battery. She had the whole of the kitchen sink cupboard emptied looking for the critter. And our little dog couldnt stand the noise and went outside for ages. Good thing they discovered what it really was...eventually!
~Liz.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
12 posted 2004-05-23 05:29 PM

I have the same trouble...I bought earplugs but then I sleep through the alarm...

call a pest control person to find the culprit and remove it to another location

Tequilia_Sunrise
since 2003-02-19
Posts 612
Lochalsh, Ontario, Canada
13 posted 2004-07-05 03:21 AM

Susan Caldwell

"Is there anyone else there that hears it??"

lol

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » IM GOING CRAZY

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary