navwin » Discussion » The Alley » This is not a poem, just an observation.
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic This is not a poem, just an observation. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
lenore
since 2004-01-18
Posts 9

0 posted 2004-01-23 09:53 PM

I posted some of my poems in the open forum and everyone who replied seemed really cheery and nice.
It pissed me off, to be honest.
I mean...and rather hear some criticism instead of people just being so nice its painful.
I’m hoping that here there might be a bight more honesty and a bit more intellect, instead of the Christian organisation which appears to have invaded the open forum.  No offence to the religious type intended.

-Lenore xoxo

© Copyright 2004 lenore - All Rights Reserved
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
1 posted 2004-01-23 10:25 PM

before this gets erased and it probably will..looooooooved it..
Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
2 posted 2004-01-24 01:17 PM

Transferred to The Alley.
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
3 posted 2004-01-24 02:24 PM

Try Critical Analysis #2

~~**~~

I lie awake at night
I reach out to touch
Feel you by my side
I reach I never feel you
Will I ever get to feel you again
Just one more time

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

4 posted 2004-01-24 02:40 PM

Heck fire, I have met some non-Christians who are pretty nice folks.
Sounds a bit prejudiced against Christianity if ya ask me, or are all Muslims, Hindus and Jews just naturally nasty folks.
and what about the poor atheists and agnostics, I guess they aren't allowed to be nice either.
Sorry, but my response is give me a break...
if ya want to rant about something, make it worthwhile.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

5 posted 2004-01-24 02:47 PM

and what about the poor intellectuals who happen to be nice? go figure, guess only dumb folk is friendly.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2004-01-24 04:43 PM

Lenore, in your profile, there is a box which you can click on, indicating you would like your poems to be critiqued, so no matter what forum you are in, we will know you want hard and sound advice/input.  It allows you not only to check the box, but tell us what you would like to see FROM us.  So, go for it, and allow the "really nice" people to know the door is open for more than their polite comments.

Not to say that their criticism won't be polite.  We just acknowledge, overall, that not everyone can accept criticism, and without that flag being waved so it gets our attention, we will go on being kind and polite.

Show us your stuff.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
7 posted 2004-01-24 06:42 PM

"I posted some of my poems" firstly it shows you only have 2 posts under this name..so this is one..where are the "some poems" ...are they under another name..that sure would help.

And yes, we are nice here in open.. and  cordial in general, which must say alot for this site since there are so many of us who come here and stay for years and many from other sites where the critiquing was  down right nasty instead of helpful.
~~~~~
I went back and searched your poems..you only have the first post there with several poems on one posting...all first postings get a friendly greeting and welcome from those of us who read and respond to it..it's a kind and considerate thing done here. Post a few others and give this place
a chance.
*s
M

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
8 posted 2004-01-25 08:38 AM

"... and what about the poor atheists and agnostics, I guess they aren't allowed to be nice either."

~ I am not allowed to be nice? Since when?

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

9 posted 2004-01-25 06:27 PM

An observation of my own. Traditionally here (and rest assured I'm no 'insider') at one's first posting there is a good neighbor rush to welcome them. There is nothing wrong with this. It is the heartfelt embrace of well meaning.

As far as your poems go, the way the site is set up, unless one cuts and pastes them to microsoft words to examine them it would be necessary to try and remember each and what it is one would critique about them. You may consider posting them individually and now that you've been greeted perhaps someone will step up and give it a rip (as you seem to desire)

I'll look at them later and see if I can help.

lenore
since 2004-01-18
Posts 9

10 posted 2004-01-27 12:01 PM

"and what about the poor atheists and agnostics, I guess they aren't allowed to be nice either"

Im agnostic myself...

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
11 posted 2004-01-27 01:02 AM

Lenore, I don't understand. I clicked on your "Profile" icon at the top of this post. I looked to see what you had marked about your critique preference. You have it marked "No". So, when someone replies to your posts, they don't see anything in the box saying that you want them to critique you.

And, besides, even when someone in opur Critical Analysis Forum critiques, they do it very nicely.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
12 posted 2004-01-27 07:57 AM

Did you consider that the responses you received where honest?  Maybe you are that good.  But apparently, you don't think so...

I don't usually exam a poem until I find something to criticize.

And hey, have a great day!

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
13 posted 2004-01-27 11:19 AM

Well, maybe a little nicely instead of "very nicely."

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
14 posted 2004-01-28 12:20 PM

Now Pete, from what I've seen, all of our regulars in CA
crituque very nicely!

muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
15 posted 2004-01-28 01:56 PM

geez, and all this time i was here just to have fun!

If everyone greeted your first post in a critical manner, would you have felt we'd "given you a chance"? would you gone away thinking "we dont know you so how could we judge you"? There are those who can critique without needing to "know you" and then there are others who would feel more comfortable at least getting the "gist" of you before they start giving their critical opinion. Like said above, there are safeguards in place to ensure that those who want advice get it and those who dont, dont.
Also, part of the deal here is you read and respond to other people before you post alot of your own stuff, its courtesy. People may not spend alot of time analyzing your work if you wont spend the time reading theirs.
By the way, can anyone pinpoint to me exactly when "being nice" went out of fashion? Those who do critique do it in a constructive manner...call it nice, call it civil, call it respect. and as far as honesty and intellect are concerned...my IQ does not coincide with my integrity. they are independant variables to which i play upon when the mood strikes me.

You want intellect you can consult my science degree...
you want honesty, then i think patience would be a fair trade for that.

all else said and done,
i have seen your first posts and i hope to see more...as long as you extend that courtesy to other poets on the site.

~Dawn

lenore
since 2004-01-18
Posts 9

16 posted 2004-01-29 12:40 PM

"You want intellect you can consult my science degree..."

HA!  Well gosh, a science degree!  I've never seen such intellect!

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

17 posted 2004-01-29 12:52 PM

Hm.  

So far we've had Lenore whining and Lenore being sarcastic.

Quite honestly - with an attitude like this I for one can't be bothered. Now, that's not so nice is it?

lenore
since 2004-01-18
Posts 9

18 posted 2004-01-29 01:09 AM

"So far we've had Lenore whining and Lenore being sarcastic.

Quite honestly - with an attitude like this I for one can't be bothered. Now, that's not so nice is it."

FINALLY!
THANKYOU!!!
I've been HOPING like hell that someone would finally express some real emotion...
Theres no better moment than when the claws come out.

Thankyou sincerely,
-Lenore xoxo

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

19 posted 2004-01-29 01:14 AM

Snort.

I admit it - that got me laughing.

lenore
since 2004-01-18
Posts 9

20 posted 2004-01-29 01:16 AM

*smiles*
Nice to know I can still make people laugh.
Wait...I've been doing it all day...
*shrugs and smiles some more*

-Lenore xoxo

muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
21 posted 2004-01-29 02:09 AM

your'e a winner

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » This is not a poem, just an observation.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary