navwin » Discussion » The Alley » being published...sort of
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic being published...sort of Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
eor
since 2002-09-26
Posts 959
blues & greys

0 posted 2004-01-13 03:05 PM

ok ok ok, i know, i fell into that trap wiht one of those websites, they sent me somehting saying i was chosen to be published, si i bit, payed for the book and eveything...a year later i get the darn thing, and my poem is in a book wiht about 30,000 other poems and in lie size 8 font.  needless to say i was a little peeved.  i know it was my fault for even sending them my money in the first place, but i at least expected maybve soze 10 font, or my poem on a page by its self not crammed onto a page with 20 other poems. grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

© Copyright 2004 matt cockrell - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2004-01-13 03:08 PM

poetry.com strikes again.  

"if you won't let me fall for you
then you won't see the best that I would love to do for you"
~Dido~

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
2 posted 2004-01-13 03:15 PM

I want to take this a bit further for those of you that may doubt poetry.com's unethical behavior:

I did a little experiment with them.  

If you put ANYTHING on their web site you get a letter telling you they are going to publish you and they offer you a book with your poetry in it...for a fee.  So I posted a poem in my married name and another in my maiden name.  I received a letter for each poem.  Both letters assured me that I did not have to purchase the book in order for the poem to be published.  Therefore, I ordered the book under the poem in my married name and did not order under my maiden name but did give permission for release of both poems.  Low and behold, when the book arrived, only one poem was in it.  The one in the name that I had paid for.  

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2004-01-13 05:42 PM

Another poetry.com horror story...
I also was accepted to be published and for a fee... yadda, yadda, woof, woof. Then I was given the opportunity to have my poem read and put on a CD for, I think, $50, or so. And I was in the "Final 25" for poet of the year. I was all set to shell out my cash for the entire thing except for two reasons... 1) I didn't have the cash for the book, or the CD. and 2) I know that my writing will never stack that highly against the "thousands of other poets around the country" that I was "competing" against.
As an experiment, I put on a "poem" of such drivvel that my 9 y/o daughter would have scoffed and said she could do better... and was put on a short list of finalists for Poet of the Year.
Anyways, just me adding my voice to the others warning against poetry.com

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

Mad_Hatter
since 2003-06-29
Posts 393
Canada
4 posted 2004-02-10 08:10 PM

Yes, I've experienced much of the same things as you.  I was all lined up to recieved some poet of the year award or something in disney world and they invited me down yadda yadda.  Poetry. com is a huge scam.  Boycott(sp?)
eor
since 2002-09-26
Posts 959
blues & greys
5 posted 2004-02-11 09:09 PM

yes, boycott them...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » being published...sort of

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary