navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I wonder..........what EXACTLY is your definition of a clique?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic I wonder..........what EXACTLY is your definition of a clique? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA

0 posted 2003-09-04 01:18 AM

I'm wondering what each of you really feel that the definition of a CLIQUE is? I know what the dictionaries say, but what do you feel it is?

I'm really not wanting any arguments to take place....I just really want to know what you feel.......

© Copyright 2003 Ethel GG Kent - All Rights Reserved
QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
1 posted 2003-09-04 01:29 AM

Sorry but personally i have no idea what a clique is? My only knowledge of cliques is in dictionaries and after reading them i have no interest in being involved in any or all cliques.

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-04-2003 01:45 AM).]

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
2 posted 2003-09-04 02:56 AM

I just see it as a comfort zone made out of humans..

I guess my opinion is if you're in one you seem to think of it as a tight, small group of friends. And if you think back to highschool, you'd notice the different types of people that hang out with the same people all year.. They rarely, if ever, make many friends outside of that group..and if they did, the other friend was rarely invited to that person's said group.

I don't mean to be stereotypical, but it's almost like the Popular cheerleader making buddies with the most unpopular girl in the school.. chances are, at least at that level of maturity, the cheerleader isn't going to want to introduce this girl to her other popular cheerleader friends.

Most cliques ARE stereotypical..but then again, I remember being friends with all types of people.. I never hung out with just one, or just a few. I made friends with just about anyone.

But say there's a group of four upperclass adult women, and another group of middleclass women all at the PTA? I'm sure, not all of the time, but I'm sure that adults do the same things as these highschool kids.

I actually don't mind the groups, it's a part of our nature.. It's almost habit, I'm sure.. I'd have to look into it more.

So, like said in previous thread, a clique is merely a group of people with the same interests.. and I've said this, and I'll say it again..

It's fine to have some close friends with common interests.. But, you'll also be losing out on a lot of new things by not..say,
expanding your horizons..

Sorry this is so long, my fingers took over.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2003-09-04 11:27 AM

I think a clique is more than just a close group of friends- it's a very exclusive group of friends, usually unwilling to let others in, especially if they don't conform to the 'stereotype.'
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2003-09-04 08:47 PM

I would have to go with hush on this one... Examples would be varsity Football players, Varsity cheerleaders, Goths, punks, the rich/popular crowd. Granted I am being stereotypical with this list, however each of these groups have a membership that shares similar values, desires, and outlooks on life. They don't want their "little world" contaminated by one that they feel is unworthy.
Did the varsity Defensive Lineman call up the president of the audiovisual club and ask him to the latest "cool" party? How about the captain of the Varsity cheerleaders... did she ask that new freshman with the freckles, zits and too big glasses to cheering tryouts???
How about the "rich" kids? does the new kid from the inner city who's on food stamps going to get a fair shake with this crowd?
Probably not. it is not proper, and there are exceptions, however it is the way of the world, and human nature at its most basic.

research: Heathers, Never Been Kissed, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Rudy... etc.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

5 posted 2003-09-05 09:13 PM

my friends call themselves hippie-goths? is that even possible? the group that is artistic, intelegent and often mistaken for depressed because they way we express ourselves. we have a tight cliche, but me and one of my friends are also part of the 'inn' croud, so cliches are imperfect. they have holes, what can I say?

and there are..of course cliches here. and all of us know it. I won't give examples. though I wouldn't say I don't usualy venture out of my 'cliche.' there are a lot  

cliche people seem to bother me. they rarely base it on friendship, where I come from. but here is a different story. but E? are you angry or just confused.

insanity is not a crime

[This message has been edited by Wind (09-05-2003 09:21 PM).]

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2003-09-06 12:49 PM

*snickering at 'Heathers'*
garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
7 posted 2003-09-06 01:58 AM

Liz, I have to admit that I wasn't "confused" when I posted this.....but, yes, a little bit angry. I get tired of people always talking about "cliques", when actually they themselves are in their own little "cliques".

This happens in every group of people who congregate......whether it's in Church, at work, or here at Passions. It seems to me that practically everyone has a special group of friends, who have like interests and things in common......people whose personalities are similar.  It's just that some people don't call their little group a "clique". They only call the other groups of friends cliques when they feel that they themselves, or part of their own group of friends is being left out of something. I personally think that jealousy is the reason  for this, or insecurity or something.

I personally have always had a special group of friends, but I have also always tried  to be friendly to everyone. I know that people don't like to feel left out of things, but if they will just stop and look at themselves and their own "clique" they will see that they do the same thing that they accuse others of doing.

My main purpose for starting this thread was to try to get people to look at themselves.

As long as there is a large group of people, there are always going to be sepearate little groups within the whole. That is only life. Right? There aren't many people who like to be completely by themselves all the time, now is there? That's the purpose of making friends in the first place.

I want to tell the ones of you who have repled to this that I thank you all. Probably more have read it who didn't reply. I hope so, because I really would like for people to realize what they do and to take a look at themselves instead of wanting to criticize others all the time.

Thank you all, and let's do try to all get along. Okay? We have a wonderful place here to gather to read and write poetry. Let's enjoy it. Okay? I really do love all of you, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, too.
Again, thanks,
Ethel

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2003-09-06 03:31 AM

*clique*

frown.

*clique-clique*

frown again.

OHhhhhhhhhh...

(wrong remote!)

*click*

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
9 posted 2003-09-06 08:15 AM

Sorry but personally i have no idea what a clique is? My only knowledge of cliques is in dictionaries and after reading them i have no interest in being involved in any or all cliques.

After reading the comments on this thread and others, I still hold firm that I'm not interested in so called cliques or any other activity that sets their own standards apart for their own benefit,, and that does not benefit the general public.

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-06-2003 08:21 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
10 posted 2003-09-06 01:47 PM

I think of a clique as a little group wonted to be introverted, and often clandestine in its pursuits.  It is not like a compact company or fellowship of lay people or artisans but a group that is often detached from the common or artistic society because the members thereof do not feel accepted and share a joint general or specific dudgeon.
I would rather be part of societies than "cliques"

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-07-2003 01:57 AM).]

Maddy vanD
since 2003-09-06
Posts 99
Newfoundland, Canada
11 posted 2003-09-07 01:45 AM

A "clique" is any group you would like to be a part of, but that will not admit you. if you are part of the group, they are friends, if you ain't, they are just some snooty clique

Maddy
Poetry is not pretty....poetry is real

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2003-09-07 10:32 AM

WIND! LOL, as you switched the term from clique to cliche. LOL.
Both terms ARE cliche in a way.
LOL at Karen's reply.

I have a book on clicker training that is cliche in some ways, that teaches the reader(if they follow the directions) how to train or re-train creatures to respond 'appropriately'....click click click
(LOL if you wish, Serenity)
Maybe we can click away clique mentality?
Humans are all in one clique, the rest of the animal world is in a different clique.
Does God hold the clicker?

Talk about ranting and digressing!!!!
I think I belong to a clique that most people don't want any part of....LOL.

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
13 posted 2003-09-07 07:32 PM

he he. Kacy i love ya.

could you train me with a clicker?

gemma must not eat junk foooood!

Instant karma's gonna get you.

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
14 posted 2003-09-07 09:12 PM

After careful and sensible consideration given to the many comments about the cliques,

I find them of no harm to anyone

because there are far more non-participants envolved in cliques

therefore, the non-participants have the advantage.

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-07-2003 09:14 PM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
15 posted 2003-09-07 10:08 PM

Hmmm... don't think I could go that far... our mom's always warned us about falling in with the 'wrong' circles...

some cliques are bad... very, very bad.

Al Quaida for example, the senior management of Enron, the Bloods, the Cripps, etc.

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
16 posted 2003-09-08 02:12 PM

But then, again, Reb, (as I'm sure you're hinting at), there are also very, very good groups of people with like interests. The ones that some would rather not be involved in.

I wouldn't necessarily call these groups "cliques", but they are groups, nonetheless. There are many of these groups in Church, school, work, and the internet. And, as I said, they're not all bad.

Really, it's just what other people have in their heads that a group of people is called. The other people who aren't in the group are the ones who call them "cliques" in the first place. Sometimes the only reason the others aren't in the group is because they don't want to be.....because they don't have the same interests, probably.

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (09-08-2003 02:25 PM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
17 posted 2003-09-08 02:19 PM

Yes Ethel -- from the moment of birth we're in at least a group of two!

no escaping it

no man (or woman) is an island

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
18 posted 2003-09-08 02:22 PM

Amen, Reb...and I personally would not want to be an island. LOL  

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (09-08-2003 02:24 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
19 posted 2003-09-08 02:23 PM

Watch the movie, The Breakfast Club.  That may give you all an idea of what cliques are about.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (09-08-2003 02:28 PM).]

JilGirl
since 2003-05-24
Posts 364
Washington
20 posted 2003-09-08 05:41 PM

Imteresting thread.

I've been following
it all along and wasn't going to enter my two cents worth, but have a change of mind.

There are a few things I have strong feelings about and the strength of my feelings is based on personal experience.

I'll comment on just one:

I am unaware of which church "groups" others are or have been involved with, so, can only describe my experience with my own involvement.

NONE of the churches I've attended have had cliques.

I've been a member of the choir in a few churches during my lifetime. I can unequivocally state that the choirs were NOT a clique, even though we all shared the "same interest." No one in these choirs felt a need to exclude others, as is with most cliques. Anyone who had a singing voice was welcome to join.

Likewise, everyone was welcome to participate in any other area of church membership, whether a member or not. NO ONE was excluded!

Other "groups with like interest" can also be considered non-clique groups, as well.

You've a fine thread started here, Ethel. I, for one, appreciate it!  

[This message has been edited by JilGirl (09-08-2003 05:42 PM).]

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
21 posted 2003-09-08 07:30 PM

JilGirl, that is what I am trying to get across.

Just because there are groups with like interest who are together a lot, does not mean that they are a clique....or that they exclude others from joining in with them if they so desire.  

The reason this was even started was because there was a feeling that there were cliques here who were excluding others by not replying to their poetry.

There are lots of reasons people don't reply to others poetry. I don't claim to know all the reasons. All I know is that there is no possible way that one person can reply to every poem that is posted at Passions In Poetry, unless they stay on here for 24/7.

I have been a little bit aggravated at times when I see threads or read comments where people are making these comments about "cliques". I for one try to read everybody and it is impossible for me to do so.

I was only trying to get people to see that everyone belongs to some kind of group...and that they are not all considered cliques. I don't like the word itself, because of the meaning people give to it. It's an ugly word to me...or the referral of it is.

Anyway, as I said before, I love this place and everyone here and hate for someone to put Passions or the people down. I really do appreciate Ron and all the administrators and moderators for trying to keep Passions In Poetry running as smoothly as it does.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
22 posted 2003-09-08 09:46 PM

I thought cliques were those shiny, metal thingys on the bottom of tap shoes!
(sorry, I am in pain ... tendonitis)

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
23 posted 2003-09-08 10:00 PM

I now understand why so many don't get recognised for their postings, too many have so many friends to PATRONIZE that time is not allowed for them to encourage new people.

Now my questions are? IS IT FAIR?  HOW LONG DOES A NEW MEMBER HAVE TO BE HERE TO BECOME ENCOURAGED?

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-08-2003 10:17 PM).]

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

24 posted 2003-09-09 06:47 PM

ermm..no..thats not true. I reply to new mebers,if I don't like them, I say something nice, and generaly give them a second chance. and I have a group that I prefer, but that doesn't mean I limit myself to them. QJQ...I hope you are not suggesting that we patronize you, I reply to you a lot. I don't see any obseesive 'cliques' here. that would be rather pathetic.

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"
-Tool

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
25 posted 2003-09-09 07:21 PM

thank you for your input wind.

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-09-2003 07:35 PM).]

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
26 posted 2003-09-09 07:33 PM

My comments are based on my readings of many other posts on this thread and many others contained on this site, and not necessarily mine. As i had no prior knowledge on this subject untill i read the many posts and reply's, so to enrich my knowledge i have posted questions,

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

27 posted 2003-09-09 09:37 PM

ok, I mean, that wasn't neciserily ranting at you or anything. I just don't see that here. the point is, this is a POETRY site. we come here to be ourselves and escape from those bonds. right? It took me a while to find people here who I could lean on, but there are people here who care a lot more than you think they do. but its not a conspiracy (and these words are coming from my mouth of all people)

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"
-Tool

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
28 posted 2003-09-09 09:48 PM

Thank you wind,,

Again i must add that my comments are ONLY the ones of others and not mine, And i stand free and independent of all,

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
29 posted 2003-09-10 11:27 AM

People are going to read and respond to whom they want to and there is nothing wrong with that.

It has been my experience that the more one replies to other people's poems, the more replies they will receive.

So, if any of you desire more replies to your poems, start replying more to other people's poems and then you will be included, at least somewhat, into their "clique."

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
30 posted 2003-09-10 06:25 PM

Opeth,  you have expressed a very good point and it should be applied BY ALL,,,

Legion
since 2003-07-20
Posts 54

31 posted 2003-09-10 07:28 PM

Opeth,

It has been my experience that the more one replies to other people's poems, the more replies they will receive.

So, if any of you desire more replies to your poems, start replying more to other people's poems

I can’t disagree with this at all, but don’t you find it strange that the quality of a poem isn’t given a higher priority – after all this is a poetry forum.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

32 posted 2003-09-10 09:16 PM

"Opeth,  you have expressed a very good point and it should be applied BY ALL,,,"

just for curiosity's sake, Why?

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
33 posted 2003-09-10 09:38 PM

Tim
just for curiosity's sake, Why?

Isn't that the purpose of posting poetry in a poetry forum,,,

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-10-2003 09:39 PM).]

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

34 posted 2003-09-10 09:58 PM

for some I suppose.
QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
35 posted 2003-09-10 10:11 PM

I belive this thread is being led away from it's original purpose, and i have no further necessity to comment,,, at this time,,

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

36 posted 2003-09-10 10:14 PM

Fair enough, I guess I never did understand the theme of the thread.  ciao...
Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
37 posted 2003-09-11 06:50 PM

I know what a claque is - a group of people paid to admire you. And a click? In Scotland it's the sudden meeting of your eyes with the alluring and deep eyes of a member of the opposite sex just before closing time.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

38 posted 2003-09-11 07:25 PM

Y'mean I could get paid for admiring all these folks?

FORGET a clique.

Sign me up for the claque.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

39 posted 2003-09-11 09:39 PM

Is a "clique-claque" then a euphonism for a lady of the evening?
Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
40 posted 2003-09-12 09:25 AM

No, no that's a claque-click. As in:

'How many clicks can a claque-clique click,
if a clique or claque could click quick....'

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
41 posted 2003-09-12 11:20 AM

THANK  YOU  ALL!!!

I'm loving this change of dialoque. LOL  

Please, keep up the clique-claque-a-di-clique!!

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (09-12-2003 11:21 AM).]

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

42 posted 2003-09-12 01:15 PM

A cliqeing we will go, a cliqueing we will go, Hi_ho a claqueo, a cliquing we will go...
(or is that a claquing we will go?)
Is one who claques a claquer or a claquerer? or one who cliques a cliquer or a cliquerer?

[This message has been edited by Tim (09-12-2003 01:18 PM).]

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
43 posted 2003-09-15 05:24 PM

A cliqueur or a cliquatreuse,

a claquer or a claquerelle.

Where's your classical education? As for 'claqueo', everyone knows that's a table football game specially adapted for amputees. Quite frankly I hadn't expected such a depth of ignorance here. You'll be telling me you don't know the meaning of craw, next.

[This message has been edited by Craw (09-15-2003 05:31 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
44 posted 2003-09-16 04:07 PM

How about a scottish word: clachan

A hamlet or small village.  

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
45 posted 2003-09-16 05:07 PM

na rionnagan a' dearrsadh san uisge
na rionnagan a dearrsadh na mo chridhe
an Cuan Sgith mar sgathan dorch
's do phog mu dheireadh
air mo ghruiadh fhathast
balbh, fuar, fad air falbh
mar seann ghealach
a' cuimhneachadh air acarsaid eile.

Bet I can win the Scottish word contest.

How about this one, 'Mawkit'?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
46 posted 2003-09-16 07:45 PM

Lol I wasn't trying to contend with you,  I just thought we should get away from those french words: clique and claque, claqueresse.

What did you say up there?  

Hopefully not something mawkit-mannered!  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-16-2003 07:51 PM).]

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
47 posted 2003-09-17 06:31 PM

Nothing minging, quite barry in fact.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
48 posted 2003-09-17 07:18 PM

What is the vernacular term for vainglorious?
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
49 posted 2003-09-17 09:45 PM

Click and Clack are Tom and Ray Magliozzi aka The Tappit Brothers of Car Talk http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/latest.html a great radio show and a lousy website.
Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
50 posted 2003-09-18 04:27 AM

Essorant - Vainglorious is 'slabheidit', what about 'pompous git' Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Craw (09-18-2003 04:42 AM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
51 posted 2003-09-18 01:57 PM

Is that how a slangwhanger refers to a gentlemen?

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-18-2003 02:12 PM).]

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
52 posted 2003-09-19 05:52 AM

Is that the same as a slung whanger? In which case, you'll need medical help.

[This message has been edited by Craw (09-19-2003 06:19 PM).]

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
53 posted 2003-09-20 02:07 AM

Well, now...needing the medical help would depend
on what the whanger is that was slung!!  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I wonder..........what EXACTLY is your definition of a clique?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary