navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Lost Submissions
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Lost Submissions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-07-29 07:43 PM

I did quite a while back take pains to post all in form and accuratly an great collection of poems by my favorite poet Sir Walter Scott on the page dedicated to him in the Classic Poetry section.  There were a few that I have never even seen on the internet before.  They were there for a while...  But all I posted are a disapearance now.  I don't mean to take it so in earnest but I find it a bit disappointing.  I posted them at Passions because I thought this would be the best place where they could be retained and enjoyed by lovers of Poetry.  What's the point of having the submission choice if this happens? Alas,  All I might do is whine and complain...so I did

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
1 posted 2003-07-30 01:48 AM

Hi Essorant...

I think you'll find that they were removed because they weren't your work. While I understand that you just wanted to share what you'd found, I belive that one of the conditions of posting on the site is that you don't post something that isn't your own work. However, if I have this wrong, I know a mod will be able to help you out more than I can.

Bec

"Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" ~ Arthur Weasley

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
2 posted 2003-07-31 11:18 AM

Yeppers.... that's what probably happenned....
There was a time way back .... before my husband had his own identity in here, I tried to share what he had wrote  for me in a post.... even gave him his due credit.... but because of the automatic copywrite that Ron very generously provided at the bottom of each page, the work would have been falsely copywritten to the wrong individual.  My post was removed and a letter from one of the moderators was emailed out to me telling me of this.  

Unfortunately that means that everything you post MUST be your original work.

Hope this was helpful.

Sherry Gardner

Cherish the good memories of the past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow. But above all... be kind to yourself today.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-08-02 06:02 PM

What Essorant is talking about is the Classical Poetry section at the main site. There's about a hundred authors listed, with well over one thousand poems available. I would LOVE to see this section grow beyond my own meager tastes, so last year I programmed the server to accept submissions from our visitors. You can add poems to the existing authors, or even add new authors (though the requirement to write a suitable biography makes the latter a non-trivial task). Essorant has been kind enough to add quite a few poems and even one poet (Thomas Harding).

Essorant, a couple of your submissions for Sir Walter Scott have been added. Unfortunately, all of your other submissions require editing because you included more in the "Poem" input field than just the poem. When you include the poet's name (totally unnecessary) or notes on the poem (different form field), the automated procedure can no longer be automated. Since I don't have all the classical poetry memorized (hardly any of it, in fact), I then have to look up the poem you submitted to find out what part of your submission is "poem" and what part has to be removed from the poem. You also seem to include < angle brackets > in your submissions at times, and those have to hand-edited, too (they're reserved for HTML tags, so the system changes them to & lt; and & gt; equivalents). All of that requires time, and time is the one thing I always seem to have in very short supply.

I promise, I will get to them as soon as I can. In the meantime, should you wish to submit more, it will go MUCH faster if you enter into each field only what the form asks you to enter. If there's something that needs to be said for which I don't have a field, put it in the comments field. When each field in the submission form is used only for its intended purpose, there's very little for me to do beyond clicking a few buttons. And when you take ME out of the loop, things move much more quickly.  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2003-08-04 10:53 PM

Ron,
Thank you!  I'm glad to know they are still "alive"
That's one of my favorite places to go on the internet after perusing about in the forums here at piptalk.
I was just afraid that the submissions might've slipped into oblivion or the computer devoured them up somehow!  It makes me feel very good to know they are still there.  Thank you for keeping them...
Now...I was looking for Chaucer...  
but I better not try to post Canterbury tales with my ill typing skills  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-04-2003 10:55 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Lost Submissions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary