navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Last Post
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Last Post Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Drexler_McStyles
since 2002-11-18
Posts 195
Venice, Ca

0 posted 2003-07-01 11:46 AM

I will no longer post at this site due to censorship and harrassment by Ron, who abuses his power by editing content that doesnt fit with his personal views....a truly "small" thing to do....poetry can say whatever it wants....if you dont like what I say then DONT READ MY POEMS, there are a few people here who like what I write and you have now taken that enjoyment from them because I will never post here again

Steven Doherty

© Copyright 2003 Steven Doherty - All Rights Reserved
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
1 posted 2003-07-01 11:48 AM

We will miss you here Steve.
Hope all luck and light grace your gifts and poetry. ThisDiamond

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
2 posted 2003-07-01 11:51 AM

Oh, did you post here? I hadn't noticed.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
3 posted 2003-07-01 11:57 AM

well I can't believe that your interpretation of the guidelines can be blamed on Ron.

He needs no defense from me or anyone, since he is very capable himself..but instead of saying if we don't like what you write don't read...maybe you should be thinking if you don't like the rules here...then don't post...

my opinion only
M

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-07-01 12:49 PM

As I used to say to the teenagers I worked with as a social worker "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out."

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (07-01-2003 12:58 PM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2003-07-01 12:52 PM

bye
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 2003-07-01 01:21 PM

quote:

...censorship and harrassment by Ron, who abuses his power by editing content that doesnt fit with his personal views...

Mr McStyles,
You are welcome to post or not as you see fit... within RON's guidelines.  He is NOT "one of the administrators" around here.  He happens to OWN this site and HE alone maintains it (both physically and financially)... This is HIS home.  He abuses nothing.  He has established very FAIR guidelines which aren't difficult to follow.  You agreed to these guidelines when you joined.  You can now choose to either stand by your word or deny it.  That choice is yours alone to make.  

Whether we see more of you or not - I wish you well...  

[This message has been edited by Nan (07-01-2003 01:22 PM).]

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
7 posted 2003-07-01 03:09 PM

Poetry says what it wants,
especially here; but flaunting
words like #### and #######
leave a poem wanting.

You taunted,"...then THEN DON'T READ MY POEMS"
So as a curt goodbye I'll say
I'll gladly follow your suggestion--
since I didn't, anyway.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

S Arthur Grey
since 2001-03-19
Posts 719
woven by a poet's loom
8 posted 2003-07-01 03:16 PM

Pay attention to Nan.
You are, or were, a guest in someone else's house.

s.a.g.

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
9 posted 2003-07-01 05:06 PM

Won't touch the issue of censorship, not my place to decide!

However, I enjoyed the bits I've read by you.
Sorry to see you go.

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
10 posted 2003-07-01 05:16 PM

Sorry to hear you are leaving, I enjoyed reading you.Ron has provided forums for posting more mature writes.Perhaps you misunderstand the guidelines and the proper place to post.

Jason

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
11 posted 2003-07-01 05:19 PM

dreambuilder
since 2003-03-23
Posts 319
caddyshack
12 posted 2003-07-01 06:27 PM

Drexler McStyles or Steven Doherty

- I don't applaud often, but I have been quietly disturbed & chose not to comment for quite some time, so hats off to Ron.  

-That is not a dig at you personnally but I do agree that open (or in some cases anywhere) is not the place for what I have seen. It irritated me that it was never seemingly noticed. I stand corrected, with some new respect for ron & the grace in which he handles most things within the site. He did not attack you on the boards that I saw & yes it is his site. I was under the impression open is a "family" forum - and while it is open - be respectful.

- I write at least 10 poems for every 1 I have posted. I try to post my best & I consider if my write may not be appropriate for open.

By the way Ratleader, Jason Lyle & Larry C -
I loved the responses

Oohhh & Bye

Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

13 posted 2003-07-01 09:16 PM

bummer
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
14 posted 2003-07-01 09:26 PM

A man,  all men...make mistakes...

Great men acknowledge them,  great men
are courteous and respectful.  Great
men understand when they are wrong.

Burning bridges is not a good choice.

Be well...

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
15 posted 2003-07-01 11:20 PM

Well, pretty much has been said...but I will add that my daughter that is 7 sits here with me many nights and reads poetry!  She has a mind that starves for something that the public school system can't give her, so I let her join me as I experience different types of poetry.  
I applaud Ron for doing what he has to do, this site must have some guidelines or God only knows what it will turn into!

to Ron for giving us such a wonderful place to gang up.

And to Drexler....Too-Da-Loo!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
16 posted 2003-07-02 12:33 PM

Confucious said the great man disagrees but is agreeable.

The small man is disagreeable even when he agrees.

Ron even agrees to let me stick around

There has to be room for you!

TasteOfOctober
since 2003-06-24
Posts 94

17 posted 2003-07-02 12:40 PM

i feel for you drexler. lots of my stuff is just absolutly littered with the "f-bomb". i dont post it though because i have a feel for whats accepted. this forum is really an awesome thing, and i think a coupl eof asteriks, or being asked not to use just a coupel of words...its a small price to pay. by the way everyone, i really love this site. figured lonbg as i was on the subject id let you know.,

The only difference between the creative and the conformists is that the creative will not be conquered and the conformists already are.

CaseyLeigh
since 2003-05-15
Posts 48

18 posted 2003-07-02 02:12 AM

While Mr. Doherty and I have never met personally, I have some to say about this whole mess of a thread.

First off, it’s nice to see that some true feelings are coming out. Congratulations to tact, because there seems to be a lack of it. In short, some of the replies to this post are just plain childish. And if you do consider Steven’s exit to be dramatic, I suggest you look at what you wrote in response to it. Perhaps, “being the more mature person” did not enter your thought process while responding to this particular post. There is some to be said for biting one’s tongue, wishing one well, and keeping defensive commentary to one’s self. Are we really acting as adults, or are we portraying the kid who got picked last for recess basketball, or the little girl whose pigtails were dipped in an ink well? Come on people. Show a little delicacy for the situation. Be the better person.

Secondly, I would like to address the subject of Ron editing Steven’s signature. While I believe it is well within Ron’s jurisdiction to remove or censor a signature, I found it a trifle disturbing when he changed Steven’s signature to something else entirely. Steven had used an expletive in his signature, which I believe was expressed with asterisks. Ron changed this to something like, “I have a dirty mouth and little respect for others.” Call me crazy, but most don’t find it a noble quality to put words in other people’s mouths. I know I wouldn’t be fond of it. Not even a little. Not even a lot. Many of you speak of passion’s being a family. We all have troubles with particular relatives, and perhaps it’s your anonymity that allows you all, including the author of this post, to let loose with the mudslinging. How sad we have resorted to this “lord of the flies” scenario.

We all learned to share in kindergarten. Or at the very least, we learned the basics of manners. Perhaps you should all review that curriculum.

Casey

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
19 posted 2003-07-02 02:54 AM

It's always a sad loss when one of the poetic chairs at our table here at Passions is vacated, but even more so when it is out of misunderstanding. There are, of course, several viewpoints here, and a fine line to be drawn in any case.  It would be a job of great magntude to operate a site like this for writers! Writing is a fine art, but it does involve individual opinions, and as we all know, it is rare to get everyone to agree.  But there is a wide audience that the writers here sometimes forget about whilst being involved in the actual art.  There are children looking on, and also people of many backgrounds, and some guidelines really do need to be in place for us all to function together.  All in all, I think we agree that the job is tremendous, and Ron has given us the space to express ourselves liberally.  I do agree with Casey, in that if someone does choose to leave, we could exercise our manners, for no matter why the reason, that writer was a part of our family for a chosen while.

So, in your journeys, I hope you find what you are looking for, and God bless...

Accept these small gifts from my gypsy heart  ~~S~~

[This message has been edited by Sunnyone (07-02-2003 02:55 AM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
20 posted 2003-07-02 02:58 AM

well this post should not even be in this forum...I'm surprised it hasn't been moved yet to the Alley or somewhere meant for ranting.

I will miss Steven's writing but if one can't follow the guidelines like everyone else then sooner or later, by their choice or by a moderator's choice, they will disappear.

Plenty of people have left because of the freedom of speech thing...life goes on...and Ron keeps his house in tact.

I don't agree with all the policies...but I have to stand behind Ron in whatever he says goes...it's his site, he pays for it, and we are invited here. That's the bottom line.

Ron doesn't mind someone speaking out, but in a respectful way. I've had my ups and downs in my 4 long years here, but all in all, I love it here and can't see posting my poetry anywhere else.

The moderators on this site are not unfair people. They censor and/or delete whatever they feel does not follow the guidelines.

No one is on a mission to take the freedom of anyone here. If someone doesn't like it here, they are free to leave.

[This message has been edited by passing shadows (07-02-2003 03:04 AM).]

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
Inside the shadow's shadow
21 posted 2003-07-02 10:59 AM

The only complaint I have on this subject is that some profanity goes completely unignored while others are immediately edited. I do realize how much work Ron has to do to keep this place up and running, but we've enough moderators... someone says s*** and another uses the "F-bomb"...even though the first may be disguised by asterics, and the other wide out in the open... I think that BOTH should be edited...After all, it's the rules, and why should some get away with it while others get edited?
I realize there shouldn't even be any profanity on this site anyways; it's the rules. And I realize that not every poem could possibly be looked over...Perhaps to make things easier there could be a filter-type-thing that won't let you post until you have taken all profanity out of your work. ~Shrugs~ Just a suggestion.

Oh, and Drexler: Hope you find a place that can satisfy your needs. This isn't for everyone, but you make the choice of whether it is or not. Take care!

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
22 posted 2003-07-02 04:55 PM

No one can please all the people all of the time. And the truth is you are a fool if you try. But things were said plainly enough by the one who posted this thread that it is naive to label it a misunderstanding. Tough love is not a bad thing. I see no reason to argue about a persons decision to leave. Truth is we will never please everybody and frankly if we tried then I would probably leave because I am not interested in the kind of site that would tolerate the very things that upset this individual.

So while I stand by my original comment in this thread I acknowledge that it is a sad way for things to end.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
23 posted 2003-07-02 05:16 PM

Please, please, please moderators...take note...this is not poetry....can you please move this to the discussion forum...or should we all be posting our personal feelings here for discussion...please close this thread and let the discussions continue in the discussion forum...please, please, please...pretty please...James
Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
24 posted 2003-07-31 11:55 AM

I am sure we all read the fine print when we joined this forum.  If we just clicked ok to get to the next admission page, then we have a definite problem.  Ron has been very fair and generous in the way he operates this site and I have to give him a world of thanks for giving us all such a wonderful place to congregate and reach out from all corners of this planet {getting teary eyed here} I have never really expressed my personal appreciation for all Ron has done here to create such a wonderful site for ALL of us to enjoy.  The rules around here stated simply mean "DO NO HARM" if, by what you post, you step over that line, there are consequences.  This is not harrassment, but Ron's and the moderators of this site attempting to fix the problem.... and if that means your poetry is moved, or removed, or your signature changed to appropriately indicate the jist of what was stated there in its place, then that is the way it is.  We all understand, accept and expect this coming in, or should. It is sheer arrogance to think that Ron is harrassing YOU. We all live or leave by his rules.

Sherry Gardner

Cherish the good memories of the past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow. But above all... be kind to yourself today.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
25 posted 2003-08-03 09:03 AM

Drexler_McStyles - I've been posting, reading, and replying to poetry on this site for over two years. I have yet to see anything that you have written posted here. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong site. Anyway, see ya around the base...

BC

Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

26 posted 2003-08-03 11:50 AM

Perhaps you missed his poems in the flood Bill, try using the search function it’s been here a while too.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
27 posted 2003-08-03 08:23 PM

Toad - ok, thank you...

BC

Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

28 posted 2003-08-04 03:19 PM

Don’t mention it Bill, I’m glad to be of assistance.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
29 posted 2003-08-06 04:11 PM

Hmmm, I've read some of his works and found them quite good. He has a way with words, better than me anyway. But he shouldn't blast at Ron because he didn't follow the guidelines. Whether you use asterisks or not, it's still as vulgar because it's the same word. About sensors and inappropriate language: this is a site viewed by people of all ages. I wouldn't want my little cousin reading "bad" words while he surfs around this site. And also, there is a very, very wide range of words one can choose without being censored. Each word evokes a certain degree of emotion, and when used properly be very effective in conveying one's message. using profanity may bring a strong point across, but other words can be just as powerful and not as "shocking" lol Two words of advice: Dictionary. Thesaurus. lollz

[This message has been edited by IcyFlamez89 (08-06-2003 04:12 PM).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
30 posted 2003-08-06 06:03 PM

Has anyone considered that Mr McStyles hasn't posted a poem or a comment since July 1 - Here we are over a month later still discussing his departure??  There must be more interesting stuff happening somewhere...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Last Post

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary