navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Critical??
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Critical?? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA

0 posted 2003-07-16 11:52 AM

Why do some people get their joy from being critical and hateful to others most of the time? Why do they want to put their unhappiness on other people?

This really bothers me sometimes that when someone is finally happy in their lives, there's always someone else who just can't seem to stand it. They can't stand seeing the other one happy for a change.

What are your comments on this? (other than that misery loves company)

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (07-16-2003 11:55 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Ethel GG Kent - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-07-16 12:07 PM

I'm accused of that very same thing myself at least once a month, Ethel.  My justification is "truth is happiness."  I'd rather myself not be decieved into happiness, nor would I wish that of anyone else... so I ask people questions, I try to get them thinking about their situation, to help them realize what they might really want... ya know?

I do it for myself, too.  Whenever I'm happy I look for an angle.  It's not "misery loves company," it's just prioritizing truth over happiness.  I guess not a lot of people would want to do that, though?  Makes a jerk out of me.  

Faith is a fine invention
When gentlemen can see
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency.
~~~Emily Dickinson

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2003-07-16 12:17 PM

Jealousy.  Anger.  Frustrated that their life is not set out before them as they wanted - not realizing that it takes a lot of hard work to get it "just so".  And even then - happy families/people also have their share of sorrow and pain - deaths and losses - and choose NOT to impart their sore spots to others.

It's a matter of choice, Ethel.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2003-07-16 12:51 PM

Sadly Sunshine is spot on.  Not that it's sad that I agree with her -- just that she's right.  That's sad.  Well no.. it's not sad that she's right -- it's sad that what she said is true.  I can't talk today.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2003-07-16 08:00 PM

I know a woman who is NEVER happy! Even when her first grandchild was born, she waited 3 days to go see her!! I'd have been right outside the door at the hospital..of course she doesn't think her daughter-in-law is good enough for her son. She's constantly moaning and groaning about something. I've never seen her happy and I've known her for 15 years!!! I think she likes the attention she gets from always being 'down'...
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
5 posted 2003-07-16 11:17 PM

Ethel - in my opinion - it is ignorance, lack of maturity, jealousy . . . on and on
I do know that feeling though of being happy and someone coming along just making you miserable.  And I guess those people just aren't happy or are stuck in a negative mode of life.  Some people just dont know how to be any other way, sadly.

Sometimes I am even like that myself . . .
xxoo

[This message has been edited by littlewing (07-16-2003 11:19 PM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
6 posted 2003-07-17 12:58 PM

Ethel ask my family maybe they'll respond to the why though they won't give me the answer just more judgements..grin
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2003-07-17 10:02 AM

Well success whether it's money, friends, lovers, work...it all breeds jealousy. Pathetic isn't it? But opinions only matter if they're from people you respect.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Soleil Noir
since 2001-12-19
Posts 688
USA
8 posted 2003-07-17 10:22 AM

In our little community just now, there's a big to-do between the haves and have-nots.  It's funny.  I came from have-nots, I don't have what the haves do...yet - I'm comfortable.  Guess I just never set my sights as high as others.  Maybe because I still haven't figured out how to take all my toys with me when all is said and done.

So I'll just keep on keeping on, earn what I deserve - and hope the rest of the world will someday grow up.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Critical??

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary