navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Lee Atwater explains it, and he would have known
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Lee Atwater explains it, and he would have known Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2012-11-14 04:12 PM

quote:

It has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nword, nword, nword." By 1968 you can’t say “that word”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N---er, n---er.”

http://www.thenation.com/article/170841/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy?_r=hpyr

© Copyright 2012 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2012-11-14 05:36 PM

Did Democrats win the vote of racists
last week?

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2012-11-14 06:19 PM

Republican's/conservatives still haven't let up even after their historic loss.  From Paul Ryan's explanation for losing being the 'urban' vote, to Bill Oreilley's 'people just want free stuff'.

It's become so ingrained in Republispeak I don't even think they are aware they do it any more.  It's too abstract.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2012-11-14 10:31 PM

You want racist, LR? Check out the link at the bottom. Here's a preview...

"I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's not a n-word or a Chinaman. Uncle Will says that the Lord made a White man from dust, a n-word from mud, then He threw up what was left and it came down a Chinaman. He does hate Chinese and Japs. So do I. It is race prejudice, I guess. But I am strongly of the opinion Negroes ought to be in Africa, Yellow men in Asia and White men in Europe and America."
-Harry Truman (1911) in a letter to his future wife Bess

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent." -Senator Joe Biden

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis."
-Senator Hillary Clinton

Blacks and Hispanics are "too busy eating watermelons and tacos" to learn how to read and write." -- Mike Wallace, CBS News. Source: Newsmax
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2484587/posts

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2012-11-14 10:36 PM

Ill say one thing for the democratic party. They are much smarter than republicans in recognizing the stupidity of the American people. Their civil rights record is atrocious and yet they can still hoodwink their followers into believing they are the guys in the white hats...an amazing achievement.
http://www.humanevents.com/2006/07/05/racist-democrats-vs-colorblind-republicans/

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
5 posted 2012-11-15 10:46 AM

quote:
Did Democrats win the vote of racists
last week?

They definitely won the vote of the non-racists and the important thing to remember is that they vastly outnumber the racists.

When Atwater made his statement that wasn’t the case, the racist vote was worth something, in 1954 it was enough to win an election but things change. American demographics have moved on, there are more racial minorities and fewer racists among white Americans. Unfortunately the Republican Party hasn’t moved with the times. They’re either still chasing the diminishing racist voters and alienating the non-racist voters or, if Mike is correct, they aren’t promoting their non-racist policies strongly enough.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Republicans can reverse their fortunes without compromising some of the core Republican policies.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2012-11-15 04:42 PM

There is a difference between racial prejudice and institutional racism.  It's important to understand the difference, and if history is going to be a part of that understanding we can't interpret it through the lens of the present.

The first Democratic president (and Republican), Jefferson, owned slaves.  The Democratic president who ushered actual democracy into the politiscape, Jackson, owned slaves.  The Republican emancipator, Lincoln, wanted the slaves to be free -- to leave, and tried to establish colonies in Haiti for them to be sent to.  It shouldn't be a surprise that Democratic president Harry Truman wrote racially prejudiced remarks to his future wife in 1911.  These men were all products of their times, but also they put us on a progressive path forward from ignorance.

In more modern times, Dixicratic presidential candidate George Wallace vowed to keep the White House white because of the Democratically lead effort towards civil rights by Johnson and subsequently McGovern's liberalism.

Roles reversed.  Because of the conscious decision of Nixon at that time to pursue the Southern Strategy.  Atwater describes well how it was done.

The study we looked at earlier showed something interesting about racial prejudice in the parties that informs the conversation about the modern day consequences of that decision.

With nearly 80% of Republicans vs around 30% of democrats displaying overt racism, but only about 65% of republicans and I don't recall the range for Dems, but I think it was 55% showing internal prejudice.

This means about 25% of Democrats know they better not let it show.  But even more amazing is that 15% of Republicans are FAKING it!  Why?  Because on a subconscious level, they know it's what you do to fit in.  That's astounding!

And they just keep on and on.  What is Oreilley complaining about when he says the changing demographic means it's not a "traditional" America any more?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2012-11-15 05:36 PM

What is astounding, LR, is that you disregarded the facts in the link completely and I won't waste my time or your pointing them out. It is equally astounding that you know how republicans feel on a subconscious level.

" Mike is correct, they aren�t promoting their non-racist policies strongly enough."

That's right, Grinch. They do NOT promote their policies strongly enough. Why? I wish I had the answer. They are too passive...they think people will see the obvious and they are wrong in thinking so....hence my point that they think the American public is smarter than the democrats know they are not. Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2012-11-15 05:46 PM

Mike.  Do you think the Republicans were right, or wrong to consciously choose to institutionalize racism?  
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2012-11-15 08:01 PM

LR, you responded to none of my posts and now you ask a "When did you stop beating your wife?" question. Thanks but no thanks....

There are multiple factual events occuring in the link I sent, showing clearly the racism of Democrats over the years. Choose to ignore them if you like or disregard them. They don't change.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2012-11-15 10:31 PM

Isn't 93% of one race voting for Obama
a big something in the room?

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

11 posted 2012-11-16 07:21 AM

"Isn't 93% of one race voting for Obama?"

Why wouldn't they.  The alternative doesn't look promising, because the alternative is prejudiced against them.

The alternative needs to lose the prejudice, then they'll get the votes.

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

12 posted 2012-11-16 07:23 AM

"What is Oreilley complaining about when he says the changing demographic means it's not a "traditional" America any more?"

Surely he means that the white middle classes are losing power, no?

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

13 posted 2012-11-16 07:25 AM

LONDON Borough of Tower Hamlets 2012

(America 20?? - Get over it)

Meet your councillor
All Councillors

Councillor Helal Uddin Abbas (Labour) - Spitalfields and Banglatown
    Councillor A M Ohid Ahmed (Independent) - East India and Lansbury
    Councillor Kabir Ahmed (Independent) - Weavers
    Councillor Khales Uddin Ahmed (Labour) - Bromley by Bow
    Councillor Rajib Ahmed (Labour) - East India and Lansbury
    Councillor Rofique Uddin Ahmed (Independent) - Mile End and Globe Town
    Councillor Shahed Ali (Independent) - Whitechapel
    Councillor Timothy Archer (Conservative) - Blackwall and Cubitt Town
    Councillor Abdul Asad (Independent) - Whitechapel
    Councillor Craig Aston (Conservative) - Limehouse
    Councillor Lutfa Begum (Independent) - Limehouse
    Councillor Mizan Chaudhury (Labour) - Bethnal Green South
    Councillor Alibor Choudhury (Independent) - Shadwell
    Councillor Zara Emily Davis (Conservative) - Millwall
    Councillor Stephanie Eaton (Liberal Democrat) - Bethnal Green North
    Councillor David John Edgar (Labour) - Limehouse
    Councillor Marc Francis (Labour) - Bow East
    Councillor Judith Anne Gardiner (Labour) - St. Dunstan's and Stepney Green
    Councillor Carlo Gibbs (Labour) - Bethnal Green North
    Councillor Peter Golds (Conservative) - Blackwall and Cubitt Town
    Councillor Shafiqul Haque (Independent) - St. Katharine's and Wapping
    Councillor Carli Harper-Penman (Labour) - Bow East
    Councillor Sirajul Islam (Labour) - Bethnal Green South
    Councillor Ann Jackson (Labour) - Bow West
    Councillor Denise Jones (Labour) - St. Katharine's and Wapping
    Councillor Emma Jones (Conservative) - St. Katharine's and Wapping
    Councillor Aminur Khan (Independent) - Whitechapel
    Councillor Anwar Khan (Labour) - Bow West
    Councillor Rabina Khan (Independent) - Shadwell
    Councillor Rania Khan (Independent) - Bromley by Bow
    Councillor Shiria Khatun (Labour) - East India and Lansbury
    Councillor Fozol Miah (Respect) - Spitalfields and Banglatown
    Councillor Harun Miah (Respect) - Shadwell
    Councillor Maium Miah (Independent) - Millwall
    Councillor M. Abdul Mukit MBE (Labour) - Weavers
    Councillor Ahmed Omer (Labour) - Bow East
    Councillor Lesley Pavitt (Labour) - Bethnal Green South
    Councillor Joshua Peck (Labour) - Bow West
    Councillor John Pierce (Labour) - Weavers
    Councillor Oliur Rahman (Independent) - St. Dunstan's and Stepney Green
    Councillor Zenith Rahman (Labour) - Bethnal Green North
    Councillor Gulam Robbani (Independent) - Spitalfields and Banglatown
    Councillor Rachael Saunders (Labour) - Mile End East
    Councillor David Snowdon (Conservative) - Millwall
    Councillor Gloria Rose Thienel (Conservative) - Blackwall and Cubitt Town
    Councillor Bill Turner (Labour) - Mile End and Globe Town
    Councillor Helal Uddin (Labour) - Bromley by Bow
    Councillor Kosru Uddin (Labour) - Mile End East
    Councillor Abdal Ullah (Labour) - St. Dunstan's and Stepney Green
    Councillor Motin Uz-Zaman (Labour) - Mile End East
    Councillor Amy Whitelock (Labour) - Mile End and Globe Town

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
14 posted 2012-11-16 08:15 AM

John, Evidence?  That the Romney campaign made one of the most overt attempts to garner the white vote in recent history? Resulting in historic losses amongst African Americans, Latinos, and Asians?

Or, were you agreeing with Mike's hypothesis that the 93% you speak of is too ignorant to know what's good for them?

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
15 posted 2012-11-16 08:32 AM

Mike

I realize in the era of post-factual conservatism the definition of a fact is an opinion with which you agree and I looked at the "professional blogger's" post you you want to use as source material, but, in the true fashion of a propagandist he omits more facts than he presents and fills in the timeline holes with his opinions, which I assume are yours as well, otherwise you wouldn't be presenting them.

While I'm no lawyer, or judge, I'm pretty sure that if I was on trial for murder a pretty lousy defense would be"Charles Manson killed people too".  So, in reference to the unsourced quotes posted on a bulletin board you linked to, I've already stipulated that 55% of Democrats show intrinsic racial prejudice, while 65% of Republicans do.  The difference is, 25% percent of the Dems are trying to suppress  it, while 15% of Republicans who aren't intrinsically racially prejudiced are pretending that they are.

The southern strategy is a documented, verifiable event, and here we have the architect of the architect, and even the former chair of the NRC telling you how to get the racist vote.  So, it's not a 'beat your wife' question.  I'm asking your opinion about an actual event/strategy that's been employed by the Republican party since the late 60's.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
16 posted 2012-11-16 10:24 AM

"Surely he means that the white middle classes are losing power, no? "

Define the cultural characteristics of the white
middle classes in contrast to those of others.

moonbeam
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

17 posted 2012-11-16 03:51 PM

"Define the cultural characteristics of the white
middle classes in contrast to those of others."

No.  

[This message has been edited by moonbeam (11-17-2012 04:18 PM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
18 posted 2012-11-16 08:50 PM

FDR nominated former Klansman Hugo Black to the Supreme Court.

Remember George �segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever� Wallace standing in the door of an Alabama schoolhouse to keep black children from being able to go to school with whites? George Wallace was a Democrat.

Remember Bull Connor turning water hoses and dogs on civil rights protestors? Bull Connor was a Democrat.

82% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 versus only 64% of Democrats.

Who�s the only black American currently on the Supreme Court? Clarence Thomas. The first black Secretary of State? Colin Powell. The first black woman ever to be a Secretary of State? Condi Rice.

"Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."
-- Former Klansman and current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the "conscience of the Senate", in a letter written in 1944, after he quit the KKK.

"I am a former kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state .... The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia .... It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state of the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan in the Realm of W. Va .... I hope that you will find it convenient to answer my letter in regards to future possibilities."
-- Former Klansman and current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the "conscience of the Senate", in a letter written in 1946, after he quit the KKK.

"These laws [segregation] are still constitutional and I promise you that until they are removed from the ordinance books of Birmingham and the statute books of Alabama, they will be enforced in Birmingham to the utmost of my ability and by all lawful means."
-- Democrat Bull Connor (1957), Commissioner of Public Safety for Birmingham, Alabama

"I'll have those (n-word) voting Democratic for the next 200 years."
-- Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One according Ronald Kessler's Book, "Inside The White House"

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
19 posted 2012-11-17 06:24 PM

stipulate (third-person singular simple present stipulates, present participle stipulating, simple past and past participle stipulated)
To require (something) as a condition of a contract or agreement.
To specify, promise or guarantee something in an agreement.
To acknowledge the truth of; not to challenge.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Lee Atwater explains it, and he would have known

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary