navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pom Poms and Back Flips
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pom Poms and Back Flips Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2012-04-30 11:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BD75KOoNR9k

Serving and former US Navy SEALs have slammed President Barack Obama for taking the credit for killing Osama bin Laden and accused him of using Special Forces operators as ‘ammunition’ for his re-election campaign.
The SEALs spoke out to MailOnline after the Obama campaign released an ad entitled ‘One Chance’.

Ryan Zinke, a former Commander in the US Navy who spent 23 years as a SEAL and led a SEAL Team 6 assault unit, said: ‘The decision was a no brainer. I applaud him for making it but I would not overly pat myself on the back for making the right call.
‘I think every president would have done the same. He is justified in saying it was his decision but the preparation, the sacrifice - it was a broader team effort.’
Mr Zinke, who is now a Republican state senator in Montana, added that MR Obama was exploiting bin Laden’s death for his re-election bid. ‘The President and his administration are positioning him as a war president using the SEALs as ammunition. It was predictable.’

Mr Obama has faced criticism even from allies about his decision to make a campaign ad about the bin Laden raid. Arianna Huffington, an outspoken liberal who runs the left-leaning Huffington Post website, roundly condemned it.
She told CBS: ‘We should celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It's one thing to have an NBC special from the Situation Room... all that to me is perfectly legitimate, but to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do

Senior military figures have said that Admiral William McRaven, a former SEAL who was then head of Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) made the decision to take bin Laden out. Tactical decisions were delegated even further down the chain of command.
Mr Kyle added: ‘He's trying to say that Romney wouldn't have made the same call? Anyone who is patriotic to this country would have made that exact call, Democrat or Republican. Obama is taking more credit than he is due but it's going to get him some pretty good mileage.’
A former intelligence official who was serving in the US government when bin Laden was killed said that the Obama administration knew about the al-Qaeda leader’s whereabouts in October 2010 but delayed taking action and risked letting him escape. ‘In the end, Obama was forced to make a decision and do it. He knew that if he didn’t do it the political risks in not taking action were huge. Mitt Romney would have made the call but he would have made it earlier – as would George W. Bush.’

Brandon Webb, a former SEAL who spent 13 years on active duty and served in Iraq and Afghanistan, said: ‘Bush should get partial credit for putting the system in place.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ news/article-2137636/SEALs-slam-Obama-using-ammunition-bid-credit-bin-Laden-killing-election-campaign.html#ixzz1taO78naY

© Copyright 2012 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2012-05-02 04:22 AM

quote:

Former Colin Powell Chief of Staff Lawrence Wilkerson told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz Wednesday that President George W. Bush wasn’t interested in bringing Osama bin Laden to justice.

“I don’t think they really wanted to get bin Laden,” Wilkerson said.

“You could be very cynical and say he didn’t want to get him because once they got him the war was over and that left all the political advantage gone,” he added. “Or you could say that they knew that it was almost an impossibility to get him given what they had done to the intelligence and other aspects of the government that you needed to get him. They just about ruined it.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/05/former-colin-powell-chief-of-staff-bush-didnt-want-to-get-bin-laden/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLVd7_66ds

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2012-05-02 11:33 PM

I don't understand what your links are supposed to represent with regards to this topic, LR. Colin Powell said that Bush could have gotten Bin Laden earlier and didn't. A senior intelligence official said that Obama could have gotten Bin Laden in 2010 and didn't. So? That basically has nothing to do with this thread, I don't think.

I have no issue with Obama taking credit for the kill. He was in the WHite House and he made the call. I have no issue with him using it for political purposes. That's what politicians do, even when they claim not to "spike the football". What I, and apparently many others, have issue with is taking comments from Romney , cutting, pasting and misrepresenting them and presenting them as a slur on Romney by offering the probability that he made a call Romney wouldn't have made.  That is sleazy, even by Washington standards, so much so that he has distanced himself from many Democrats and even Arriana Huffington, who has been his main cheerleader since the beginning.  It shows a lack of class and a desperation that a President shouldn't have.

[Edit Please discuss the post, not the posters - Ron]

[This message has been edited by Ron (05-03-2012 07:14 AM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2012-05-03 12:37 PM

[Edit Please discuss the post, not the posters - Ron]

[This message has been edited by Ron (05-03-2012 07:15 AM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2012-05-03 07:15 AM

I don't think the issue is the "call" that Obama made, nor whether a Republican president past or future would have made the same decision given the same information.

Bush couldn't FIND bin Laden, so the "call" was never an issue. There's ample evidence, discussed in earlier threads, suggesting Bush (and, by extension, Romney) would likely never have found bin Laden. He wasn't really even trying. Obama, on the other hand, is said to have made finding bin Laden a priority when he took office.

Obama didn't just make a call, Mike. He made it happen.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2012-05-03 08:47 AM

Bush, and by extension, Romney"..??? That's quite an assumption, Ron.  Do we consider that Obama may be banging interns, then, as an extension of Clinton? I don't see how you can make that stretch, just because they are both from the same party.

Bush couldn't find Bin Laden? You may recall that one of the democratic attacks against Bush was that they had Bin Laden trapped in a small region in the mountains and Bush wouldn't give the order to go in and get him.

Obama, on the other hand, is said to have made finding bin Laden a priority when he took office.

Is said to have made....very ambiguous statement. Yes, by democrats and Obama, perhaps. He made a lot of things priorities, at least in his campaign speeches.

At any rate, I'll say the same as I said to LR.  Those things are not the point. The point is still how Obama is using it and slurring Romney with misinformation and misrepresentation and how it is backfiring on him. No, he is not spiking the football. Oh, today they are going to do a special on Bin Laden's last words...that's a field goal, at least.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2012-05-03 02:46 PM

My comment was about the post.  Your site.  My time.  C'ya.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
7 posted 2012-05-03 05:33 PM

Bin Laden was, from the beginning, characterized as someone who himself
couldn’t lead six ducks across a road, still I find it hard to believe that
if  it was known where Bin Laden was any Republican president would have
said no to putting him down .

I missed it; what was the reasoning behind the suggestion Mitt would give
the opportunity a pass?

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2012-05-03 06:57 PM

quote:
Bush, and by extension, Romney"..??? That's quite an assumption, Ron.

A necessary one, Mike. Romney doesn't, after all, have a foreign policy history so we don't really know what he would have done in Bush's shoes. Our only two choices are to throw darts in the air or make assumptions based on what we know.

What we know is that the leader of the Republican party for eight years very pointedly said he didn't care whether bin Laden was apprehended or not. It clearly was not a Republican priority. If there were any Republicans at the time who disagreed with their party leader, I don't remember hearing them say so. We can choose to assume they wouldn't have contradicted Bush no matter their own personal beliefs or we can choose to assume they agreed with President Bush.

quote:
Is said to have made....very ambiguous statement. Yes, by democrats and Obama, perhaps. He made a lot of things priorities, at least in his campaign speeches.

This has all been covered in a previous thread, Mike. If Obama didn't take steps to kick the hunt for bin Laden into high gear just months after taking office, we have a really serious conspiracy trying to make it look that way. Occam's Razor suggests, at least to me, there was no such conspiracy.

quote:
The point is still how Obama is using it and slurring Romney with misinformation and misrepresentation ...

I agree. I would hope that neither party would stoop to misinformation and misrepresentation. And I would hope that you and I would each be willing to condemn both parties when they do it between now and November.

I suspect we're going to be really busy, Mike.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2012-05-03 07:21 PM

If there were any Republicans at the time who disagreed with their party leader, I don't remember hearing them say so. We can choose to assume they wouldn't have contradicted Bush no matter their own personal beliefs or we can choose to assume they agreed with President Bush.

Substitute Obama for Bush, and the statement is still valid. Getting back to my friend Billy, I don't recall any democrats speaking out against his oral adventures or lying to cover it up. I don't think that means they approved. Politicians always support their man in the big chair, whether they agree with him or not.

Staying off topic for a minute, the fact is that I really didn't care about Bin Laden's death, either. The main objective was to render him useless, which Bush's actions did. Not easy to run a world terror venue while hiding out in caves and being on the run. Bin Laden's lack of doing anything notable during his years since bear that out. Thanks to the pressure put on by Bush, he was neutered. Sure, it's a feel good thing to see him pay for what he did, but the problem is much larger than one man. Al Qada has not disappeared because of his death. In my opinion, it was such an important thing to Obama because of the headlines it would bring and he would be known as "the man who got Bin Laden". Does it make such a big difference taking out an old man unable to even be seen in public? Only in the revenge category.

I'll repeat...Obama was the man in charge when it happened. I give him credit for it.

...and, yes, we will both be VERY busy!

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

10 posted 2012-05-05 12:58 PM

Romney has business and finance experience and a history of turning around failing enterprises. That would be a major plus over the current office holder, who has neither business, finance or foreign policy expertise.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
11 posted 2012-05-05 03:08 PM

It was hilarious hearing Juan Williams proclaim that ROmney had no experience with international relations. Where was Juan when Obama was running with no experience? Doesn't he realize how incredibly stupid his statement is and how it reflects on him? He only wants it Juan way!
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

12 posted 2012-06-23 07:17 PM

Juan is becoming unhinged lately, Michael. Not sure what is going on with him. He used to make sense when he talked....sort of anyway.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Pom Poms and Back Flips

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary