navwin » Discussion » The Alley » SCOTUS Receiptient of Obama's Latest Hissy Fit
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic SCOTUS Receiptient of Obama's Latest Hissy Fit Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2012-04-03 12:46 PM

Barack Obama has said it would be wrong for the "unelected" supreme court to take the "unprecedented and extraordinary" decision to strike down his signature health care legislation when it was passed by an elected Congress.

The comments suggest the president may make an election issue of those described by Democrats as partisan judges if they throw out the Affordable Care Act following last week's dramatic hearings at which the aggressive tide of questioning from some of the justices suggested that the conservative majority is hostile to the legislation. Their decision is expected in June.

"I am confident that the supreme court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/02/barack-obama-unelected-supreme-court

I would seriously like to know, and I hope the press gets Obama on the record on this - is it President Obama's contention that the Supreme Court's only role in reviewing legislation is to double-check the count on the roll call vote to make sure that a majority in fact voted for the law and to check the President's signature for possible forgery? Because, I mean, if that's what we're going to go back to, I'm open to having that discussion but we are going to have to figure out what to do with several hundred SCOTUS decisions that have taken a decidedly different view.

Of course, in making these comments Obama is exposing himself yet again as a cynical hack who is devoid of anything resembling shame. In 2003, the United States Congress passed the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 by substantially larger margins than Obamacare. When the Supreme Court refused to strike down this law, which was passed by a democratically elected Congress, then-Senator Obama threw an absolute hissy fit about the fact that the Supreme Court had upheld the clear will of Congress (and the vast majority of the American people).
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2012/04/02/president-obama-goes-o n-record-opposing-marbury-v-madison/

© Copyright 2012 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2012-04-04 09:56 PM

I think Obama was simply trying to intimidate the court.  I listened to the
oral arguments and the Federal case was pretty lame.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2012-04-04 10:26 PM

Of course he was, as he tries to intimidate anyone who doesn't let him have his way. He's been called on this one, though....time to wiggle.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2012-04-09 01:37 PM

I wish someone would ask him what he thinks of his pals (there are pics of him with Malik Shabazz and other Panthers at different events and a Malik Shabazz listed as a visitor to the White House), the New Black Panthers, calling for riots, revolution and the blood of 'crackers' to be flowing in the streets beginning today. Seems to me that a word to his friends should stop this call for riots and bloodletting against innocent people. We shall see what he does, if anything. Maybe he feels beholden to them for helping get him elected? But wouldn't it be a novel idea to actually have them arrested for making terroristic threats? But then we know Holder would never prosecute those he calls 'my people' anyway.

I think that the flash mobs of last summer across the country of black youths randomly attacking whites innocently walking down city streets was just a test run. I don't recall any comments from Obama about those incidents either. No expressions of sympathy for the victims, no call for calm. Nothing but silence.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » SCOTUS Receiptient of Obama's Latest Hissy Fit

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary