navwin » Discussion » The Alley » No flouride tonite in my Tea (party)
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic No flouride tonite in my Tea (party) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2011-10-14 02:56 PM

quote:

Pinellas County commissioners voted 4-3 Tuesday to cease putting fluoride into their water, making it the largest urban county in Florida to discontinue the practice. The move will halt fluoride-injected water from reaching about 700,000 residents but does not include the city of St. Petersburg and three other cities, says Commissioner Ken Welch, who voted to keep fluoride.

Commissioner Norm Roche voted to end the fluoride treatment, saying it was a "social sort of program" the county should avoid, the St. PetersburgTimes reported.
STORY: Fluoride safety debate bubbles up once again
Opponents such as the Fluoride Action Network say the fluoride could harm children and should not be administered by the government. "Fluoride is a toxic substance," said Tea Party activist Tony Caso, the Times reported. "This is all part of an agenda that's being pushed forth by the so-called globalists in our government … to keep the people stupid so they don't realize what's going on."

Fluoride advocates, including the American Dental Association, insist the practice reduces cavities, especially among poorer residents who can't afford dental care.

Welch says a few people at Tuesday's meeting identifying themselves as Tea Party activists "hijacked" the issue, calling the practice a government attempt to "dumb down" residents and likening it to Soviet and Nazi practices. The ban was passed despite testimony of more than a dozen dentists and others advocating the practice, he says. "We're going to pay a price for this for generations to come," Welch says.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-05/pinellas-county-florida-votes-no-fluoride-in-drinking-water/50673318/1

© Copyright 2011 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2011-10-14 10:22 PM

Reminds me of that old hit tune "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Flouride"...
http://www.fluoridealert.org/50-reasons.htm

Your obsession with throwing dirt at the Tea Party has, er, a lot of cavities....

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2011-10-14 10:48 PM

By all means, if it serves the remote possibility of raising the IQ of tea-partisans then bravo. But really, this nonsense is just warmed over John Birch crap.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2011-10-14 11:01 PM

UK medical group rejects new skin cancer treatment
APBy MARIA CHENG - AP Medical Writer | AP

LONDON (AP) — An independent British medical watchdog says the first treatment proven to help people with the deadliest form of skin cancer is too expensive to be used by the U.K.'s health care system, a recommendation critics called a potential death sentence.

The drug, Bristol-Myers Squibb's Yervoy, has offered some hope to people with advanced skin cancers, though a study of patients with advanced, inoperable melanoma showed it extended survival only four months on average.

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence, or NICE, advised Friday that at a cost of 80,000 pounds ($126,600) Yervoy "could not be considered a cost-effective use" of health funds. A final decision is expected next month after a public consultation.

In the U.K., most medicines are paid for by the government, as long as they're recommended by the cost-efficiency watchdog. The agency commonly rejects expensive drugs, including recently advising against new treatments for prostate cancer, breast cancer, and multiple sclerosis, though patients and doctors are increasingly protesting the decisions.

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-medical-group-rejects-skin-cancer-treatment-173952044.html

I had no idea the Tea Party was in the U.K., too. That does seem a little strange, doesn't it? Just sayin'...

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2011-10-14 11:08 PM

Great Ceaser's ghost Mike.  What in the name of Sam Hill does that have to do with this thread?

Oh, ok, I see now, there are words, in English....

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2011-10-14 11:30 PM

quote:
... showed it extended survival only four months on average.

It's a conundrum, to be sure.

If your family had to give up their house to buy you four more months of life, would you want them to do it for you?

Does your answer change if it's a stranger's house being sacrificed?

Moral dilemmas certainly aren't new to the 21st Century. When the only choices available are bad ones, we nonetheless still have to choose. And the only thing of which I think we can ever be certain is that someone somewhere isn't going to "approve" of the choices you and I make.  To which the only possible answer is . . . bite me.

quote:
What in the name of Sam Hill does that have to do with this thread?

I don't know, Reb, the analogy is weak, I'll admit, but it's a whole lot more interesting than a little tooth decay ten or fifteen years down the line. People get what they deserve. Clearly that includes stupid people.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2011-10-14 11:34 PM

Makes about as much sense as the thread itself. I figured by your extremely weak attempt to blame the Tea Party for all the ills in the world, you must think those UK'ers are Tea Partiers, too. Tea Party keeping flouride from the masses and those folks keeping cancer-treating drugs from the masses....must be those darn tea partiers, going world-wide!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2011-10-15 01:07 AM

quote:
I figured by your extremely weak attempt to blame the Tea Party for all the ills in the world ...

From fluoride to all the ills in the world, Mike?

The way I read the original article, it wasn't so much the Tea Party being blamed for all the ills in the world (it's your exaggeration, not mine) so much as them insisting they should get credit for it.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

8 posted 2011-10-15 03:06 AM

Anybody care to say what the current science is on Fluoride as a preventitive measure?  We have close to fifty years worth of data on the treatment by now.  Is it a good investment for the society, or isn't it?

Are the people from non-fluoridated areas going to be smarter, brighter and healthier in 50 years than people in fluoridated areas?  What do the studies suggest?

There may be dentists who don't think it's a good idea.  I've never met one, but I'm sure they're out there.  Where have they published their research, if they've done any.  What's the science around this as opposed to the politics?

Once we have clear science and clear information, then you can play all the politics you want, long as the science and the facts are straight.  We should make a point of not getting the two confused.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2011-10-15 04:24 PM

Bob, perhaps you should choose to clicking onthe links provided?

Ron, if this were the only one, I'd agree. LR, however seems to be on a Tea Party destructo kick for the past couple of months. That's fine as he has that right but just tossing the TP into almost everythign that comes up (such as this) makes one feel that he is going to try to blame just about everything  he can on tea parties. That's what makes my comment valid.

It is NOT true, for example, that tea partiers killed either Cock Robin or Kenny!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2011-10-15 06:57 PM

Well Mike, I'll try to not toss the Tea Party into any more threads about the Tea Party.

Besides, its not my fault, its Obama's.  He's making me do it.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

11 posted 2011-10-15 07:35 PM

Hey, Mike.

If you can find ways of connecting things to the President and feel that's fine, what's wrong with the Tea Party?  I've even agreed with you from time to time.  I feel the same way about LR.  

As long as we aren't directing the jibes at each other and make some attempt to keep things within the bounds of reality — unles the humor is slapstick obvious — what's the harm?

If you want to draw the bounds more circumspectly overall, that seems like a good idea for all of us, but it can't be unilateral, can it?  You can't be the only gentleman in the room, it'd be unfair, and that doesn't mean that other people won't get out of line on occasion.

But if you're interested in more civility overall, that sounds like a nice thing and it would be worth talking about.  I think.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
12 posted 2011-10-15 08:23 PM

Bob, the wisdom of Harry rings true doesn't it?  I never gave the Tea Party hell, just told the truth.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
13 posted 2011-10-15 09:20 PM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » No flouride tonite in my Tea (party)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary