navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Threat against Trent Humphries
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Threat against Trent Humphries Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

0 posted 2011-01-16 04:45 PM

I wonder why we don't have wall to wall news coverage of this event? Oh, yeah, the talking heads on t.v. would have to incriminate themselves for the incident due to all their heated rhetoric in the last week against the tea party and conservative figures if they were to appear unbiased and consistent in their thinking. Best to just sweep it under the rug until they can figure out a way to blame Palin or Limbaugh.

God forbid they just place the blame where it belongs...with the lunatic.
http://redwhitebluenews.com/?p=14454

© Copyright 2011 Denise - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2011-01-16 05:00 PM

Why would you even wonder, Denise? This is standard operating procedure for network news.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 2011-01-16 05:45 PM

I just can't wrap my mind around the hypocrasy, the double-standard, I guess, Michael. It always leaves me asking, "HUH?"
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2011-01-16 05:59 PM

Asking Huh? is just a waste of time. You wouldn't be asking  conservatives because they know and relate. Asking liberals will only get silence since it would require an answer they would rather avoid giving.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2011-01-16 06:39 PM

I imagine it was reported in the local news. Just like if the high school principal was threatened or the town drunk got himself arrested again. I'm not sure why you would expect more? One local boy threatening another local boy doesn't usually make the national news, not when neither one of them is exactly a national figure.

Until your link, I'd never heard of either man. Is there any reason I should have?

And, Mike, whether liberal or conservative, answers are typically easier to get if the questions don't come off sounding like someone has a chip on their shoulder. Generally speaking, I typically just ignore people who ask questions they're already sure they know the answer to.

Uncas
since 2010-07-30
Posts 408

5 posted 2011-01-16 07:04 PM

quote:
I just can't wrap my mind around the hypocrasy

Hmm.

I was sort of with you when you suggested in another thread that the political rhetoric couldn't directly be connected to the Tucson shooting Denise. That the guy was just mentally unbalanced - but isn't it a tad hypocritical to then try to pin this event on the Liberal rhetoric?

I mean, this guy was clearly mentally unbalanced, getting shot twice can have that effect, so why do you automatically presume that Liberal rhetoric played a part in this?

What useful purpose does it serve to do the very thing you've been so vehemently criticising?

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2011-01-16 07:14 PM

The guy who did the threatening is one of those injured at the Tucson town hall massacre last week, and Trent Humphries is the co-founder of the Tucson Tea Party (the one who was falsely accused of saying that it was Giffords own fault for getting shot http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/tucson-tea-party-founder-giffords-blame-shot/ ), and the threat happened on ABC during the filming of their gathering of victims, family and friends of victims of the tragedy and community leaders in a town hall setting. They aren't really just two local boys. They were already linked to the national story of the Tucson event.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

7 posted 2011-01-16 07:16 PM

You misunderstood me, Uncas. I wasn't pinning it on the liberal rhetoric. I said it was hypocritial of the left not to if they want to appear consistent in their thinking.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2011-01-16 07:18 PM

One local boy threatening another local boy doesn't usually make the national news

...and you think that is a valid comparison, Ron? The liberal press has never been shy when it comes to reporting on the Tea Party, although almost exclusively in a negative light. No, I don't know the fellow, either, but I think that a threat against him as a Tea Party leader right after the shooting in Tucson could warrant a mention on the national news. I feel fairly certain that if it were the leader of a liberal organization being threatened with  death somehow it would make the national nightly news.  Face it, the liberal press is as one-sided as it has always been. You may disregard that, as you wish.

Uncas
since 2010-07-30
Posts 408

9 posted 2011-01-16 07:43 PM

I stand corrected Denise.

My fault entirely, sorry for the confusion.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

10 posted 2011-01-16 08:08 PM

No problem, Uncas. Misunderstandings happen.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
11 posted 2011-01-16 08:49 PM

quote:
The liberal press has never been shy when it comes to reporting on the Tea Party, although almost exclusively in a negative light.

The Tea Party isn't a local entity, Mike. Even I've heard of them. Hadn't heard of these local boys, though ...

quote:
I feel fairly certain ...

That's more conjecture, Mike.

quote:
Face it, the liberal press is as one-sided as it has always been.

Agreed. There isn't a single news source that is without its biases. But that's okay with me because I don't listen to a single news source.

Here's the bottom line for me, guys. And I suspect (my own conjecture) it would be the bottom line for most of the national audience. I really don't have a lot of interest in Trent Humphries. My time is better spent reading or watching news I care about.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
12 posted 2011-01-17 12:21 PM

It was mentioned on CTV last night and I only had it on for about five minutes.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
13 posted 2011-01-17 12:25 PM

Yea, I just watched my local news. The incident was covered by the Kalamazoo station, with video of the arrest.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

14 posted 2011-01-17 10:55 AM

What you didn't see were breaking news alerts every 15 minutes about the incident that actually happened on a major network's program about the shooting story, therefore closely linked to the shooting story, filled with innuendo and outright fallacious allegations aimed at people of  the opposite political persuasion than the victim.

Within minutes of the shooting, however, the media at large were doing just that, non-stop for 5 days, and some are still doing it even after the facts are known. Although one of the critically injured victims, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, is a Democrat, one of those killed, Federal Judge John Roll, was a Republican. But conservatives were targeted because it wouldn't have fit the media's political agenda and playbook to assume, with absolutely no evidence, that the Judge was the intended target and to assign blame on the heated, and even vile, left-wing vitriol of at least the past decade.

I know that a death threat is less serious than an actual shooting, but I would bet my house that if the person doing the threatenting had been Humpries, the conservative, and Fuller, the liberal, had been the victim, there would have been more than just a passing mention in the news. They would have run with it for another 5 days as evidence that conservatives, particulary the tea party people, are dangerous and unhinged radicals, and would then have tried to tie it back into the shooting incident to bolster their unfounded allegations that the shooting really was the fault of their rhetoric (in reality, their peaceful demonstrations to voice their disagreement with the policies of the current administration).

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
15 posted 2011-01-17 12:37 PM

You're not going to be satisfied with anything, are you, Denise?
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

16 posted 2011-01-17 12:50 PM

What does that mean, Ron? I should be satisfied with the obvious double-standard of our media and not challenge it?
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
17 posted 2011-01-17 03:52 PM

You wanted it reported, Denise. It was reported. Be happy.

There is no double standard in "our media" because there is no "our media." There is only a loose conglomeration of media venues, each doing its own thing in an attempt to satisfy people and MAKE MONEY.

It's a business. Not a conspiracy.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

18 posted 2011-01-17 04:36 PM

lol- My point wasn't that I wanted it reported, Ron.

I simply wanted to point out the disparity in coverage of two linked events.

It's not that the second event lacked non-stop coverage and baseless chages, that bothered me, it's that the first was nothing but that, all because they were attempting to fit it into their political agenda. They are more, much more than a business. They have become political operatives, pushing their own agenda, trying to fabricate news to fit what they thnk it should be, not what it actually is. They've probably been that for decades, but they've never been as transparent about it as they were last week. And they've never been more wrong.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
19 posted 2011-01-17 05:08 PM

Linked events? You're actually comparing one event to the other, Denise? Do you honestly think that everything linked to the shooting should be covered exactly the same as the murder itself?

quote:
They are more, much more than a business.

Every business is much more than a business, Denise, but that doesn't stop each business from being a business. Each is a separate business, in direct competition with every other separate business. There is no "they" and your fervent desire to homogenize an entire industry is hopeless. If you don't like a channel, change to one you do like. If you don't like a newspaper, a magazine, or a web site, stop giving them your money or time. That's what everyone else is doing.

Unlike health care, the media IS governed by a free market. People are voting for what they want with their pocketbooks.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

20 posted 2011-01-18 06:00 PM

The first incident should have been covered as the second one was in a responsible, circumpect manner, just the reporting of the known facts, without the assigning of blame to anyone other than the actual perpetrator.

That the majority of the media chose to cover the first with immediate blame on those whom they perceive as their political foes, before they even knew anything about the perpetrator, and chose to responsibly report on the second one, even knowing immediately that the guy responsible was their political ally, shows their bias and the double standard they employ in their approach to doing their job.

More egregious is the fact that they spouted lies about and innuendo toward those on the right, hoping to cast them in an unfavorable light as being dangerous and violent and of inspiring others to violence.

When someone has the power of the pen, or the airwaves, it isn't enough just to change the channel or not buy their paper, in my opinion.

A lie repeated often enough by those in power has a way of becoming the truth in the minds of many. It cannot go unchallenged.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Threat against Trent Humphries

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary