navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Where's there's hope, there's inspire
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Where's there's hope, there's inspire Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2010-07-28 01:41 AM

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/05/27/its-in-the-bag-teenager-wins-science-fair-solves-massive-environmental-problem/

It can be done.

© Copyright 2010 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2010-07-28 08:22 AM

Excellent article..and noteworthy that, during a time when millions upon millions are being spent by the governments looking for a solution, a student come up with one. Yes, there is hope. It lies in the private sector, the individual. That is what should be encouraged.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2010-07-28 01:48 PM

Now he deserved his reward, that is just awesome!  Wonder what those little critters will do over a long term.  I guess they figured that out right?  Wonderful news!  There are stores here Karen, where you bring your own container to get a drink, water, etc. and you save 5 cents.  All our stores now do not supply those plastic bags we all used for garbage, you have to bring your own bags to grocery shop.  It's a good thing as Martha would say.  Less landfill crap.

You know as I listen to our youth, it is not hard to figure out they are way smarter than I was at their age (as was I over my mother, and so on.)  I put my life in the hands of the upcoming generation, they are a very smart bunch of young people I tell you.  

Yes, there is definitely hope.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2010-07-29 04:20 PM

Nodding here. (and I just love Google chrome and my extensions.)

I finally discovered that a computer can be more than an ashtray.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2010-07-29 05:37 PM

Hmmm.

Daniel should certainly be commended for the way he applied himself to the problem and the methodical way he worked towards a possible solution but..

quote:
It’s In the Bag! Teenager Wins Science Fair, Solves Massive Environmental Problem

That’s a little OTT, don’t you think? It was a good piece of scientific work but as a practical application – well, it simply isn’t. For it to work you’d need to gather all the plastic into a controlled environment at 37 degrees and let the microbes do their stuff, but if you’ve gathered all that plastic into one place why would you destroy it? Why not shred it and recycle it and reduce the need to manufacture more plastic?

He deserves the prize for the science though.

Am I too much of a Grinch?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2010-07-29 06:36 PM

Naw. I like a lot of Grinch in my Grinch.

And it's serendipitous for you to point out the complexities, because I was just about to come add this:
http://vi.sualize.us/view/82c542f13ec01fa2654b90c685612f36/

which prompted me to think that sometimes "genius" is simply a dose of creative common sense.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2010-07-29 06:41 PM

And hey? I still admire that kid. I tend to do the same thing, even in my drawing style. I throw everything on the canvas and then? I erase.

Oh.

I tend to do the same thing with poetry, huh?

I have, at times, written forty stanzas (<--more hyperbole) only to go back later to find possibly TWO lines I like.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Where's there's hope, there's inspire

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary