navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Democrat Dictionary
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Democrat Dictionary Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2010-05-18 10:11 PM

I am getting a new insight into the Democrat Dictionary, which is a completely different dictionary than the rest of the world uses. For example.....

At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.
“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”
There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.
The deferments allowed Mr. Blumenthal to complete his studies at Harvard; pursue a graduate fellowship in England; serve as a special assistant to The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham; and ultimately take a job in the Nixon White House.
In 1970, with his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, which virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam. He joined a unit in Washington that conducted drills and other exercises and focused on local projects, like fixing a campground and organizing a Toys for Tots drive.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/nyregion/18blumenthal.html

Now, one might say that the words "the days I served in Vietnam" would be a lie, wouldn't one? Not in the Democrat Dictionary!

The Times quoted Mr Blumenthal as telling them in an interview on Monday that he had misspoken about his service during the Norwalk event and might have misspoken on other occasions. "My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam," he said, according to the Times. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7735067/US-Senate-hopeful-Richard-Blumenthal-misrepresented-military-record.html
Connecticut  Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal surrounded himself with war veterans today while denying that he lied about his military record when he actually received deferments and served in the Marine Reserve.
"Now, on a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility," he said at a news conference at a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in West Hartford. "But I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service to our country."
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Blotter/richard-blumenthal-politician-misstate-military-record/story?id=10678932

So, according to the Democrat Dictionary, an untruth is only a lie when spoken by a Republican. Should it be uttered by a Democrat, it becomes a "misspeak" or "mischosen words"!  A man acknowledges he misspoke on several occasions while saying his intentions have always been to be completely clear and accurate. Go figure...Democrats have also proven that they can look directly at something and not see it....for example....

"the days I served in Vietnam"

Democrat Richard Blumenthal's campaign said a newspaper report questioning his Vietnam-era military service was an "outrageous distortion,"

"This is nothing but dirty, cheap politics," Pasquale Battinelli, 77, an ex-marine who served during the Korean War, said moments before the new conference. "It's not fair what's being said about him. He never said he served in Vietnam. "

He has always been completely straightforward" about his military service, said Jean Risley, a chairwoman of the Connecticut Vietnam Veterans Memorial Inc. "I never once heard him say that he was in Vietnam."  

See what I mean??? If you want your own copy of the Democrat Dictionary, ask your local news station to send you a copy. it is their Bible.

© Copyright 2010 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2010-05-19 02:27 AM

Seems to me he lied about it at times, and certainly didn't correct the perception that he was a vet that served in Viet Nam.  At other times he avoided the subject.  I think The Connecticutt Democratic Party should get another candidate before the filing date passes on Friday and the whole notion of defending the guy should be put on hold until a new candidate is found.

It's a pity to find a character flaw this large in a guy this popular, and it may cost the Democrats a Senate seat that they needn't have to lose.  Imagine how terrible the man must have felt about his lack of service in Viet Nam to feel that he had to lie about it.

I find this rather sad.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2010-05-19 07:29 AM

People like this drive me absolutely bug f... uh.... crazy.
We had a similar incident locally a few years back when the Superintendant of Schools was discovered to, in fact, not have been a member of the original Navy Seals teams during Vietnam. The person who outed him? A local boy who actually DID service with the vaunted Seal Teams.

During a local newspaper interview, the true warrior was asked if he and the Super ever got together to talk about being together in Vietnam. The reply?
"Why would we? As far as I know, he never served in the military. He certainly wasn't on one of the teams."
A tiny bit of investigation later, and we had a new Super of schools.

If you didn't serve, then- hey- you didn't serve. Stop making cheap political points at the expense of those who actually did.

I actually saw the sound clip of the press conference, or whatever he was doing with the Marines on the dias behind him... and threw something at the screen.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "WHAT A RIDE

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2010-05-19 07:43 AM

Imagine how terrible the man must have felt about his lack of service in Viet Nam to feel that he had to lie about it.

When did he feel terrible, Bob...after his service was over, during the time he was filing for 6 deferrments, or when he decided to run for office? Your generosity toward him is underwhelming.

I suppose he also felt terrible about not being the captain of the Harvard swim team, so much so that he claimed he was.

Correction, May 18, 2010: This article originally stated that Blumenthal enlisted in the Marines, rather than ducking the Vietnam draft, and that he was captain of the Harvard swim team. According to an investigation by the New York Times, Blumenthal joined the Marine Reserves after receiving numerous draft deferments, and never saw combat in Vietnam. The Times also found that Blumenthal was not a member of the Harvard swim team, much less its captain. http://www.slate.com/id/89649

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

4 posted 2010-05-20 10:16 PM

If your reply was serious,Mike, you might check out the listing for Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the latest edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.[i]  You'll find, if you do much of a literature search, that a very large proportion of politicians, actors and successful businessmen suffer from this disorder.  It will give you a fair amount of information and insight on the psychosexual structures of Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich and a large number of both Republican and Democratic presidents and leaders of various sorts.  It might give you some compassion.

If you're just looking for a cheap shot, you'd best avoid the article at all costs.  It's too clinical and it doesn't give you enough details.  And as Nietzsche said, anytime you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you; so, if you're just looking for some [i]Schadenfreude
, it may prove oddly haunting for you, and you'd do best to avoid it.  We find pieces of ourselves lurking in the strangest places, and the surprise is not always pleasant.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2010-05-20 10:44 PM

Thank you, doctor, for your long-distance diagnosis. We all thought he was lying because he was not telling the truth but you have certainly cleared that up. He's just mentally ill. Yes, my compassion is overflowing as I hum to the tune of Officer Krumpke.

I wonder if it's contagious. He could have caught it easily from either Gore or Kerry, who are obviously suffering from the same disease.

threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy
6 posted 2010-05-20 11:34 PM

Blumenthal's reaction statement today was even more telling:
"On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility. But I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service," Mr. Blumenthal said.

...impugn HIS record of service?
What about his misplaced words impugning THE REAL VIET NAM SOLDIERS?

Very telling of who he thought of first,
when apologizing.  Himself.

If he continually lies about something he wasn't pressed to lie about in the first place,
WHY would any sane person vote for him?
This man is obviously just...hate to use the term....a liar.  The real deal.

Instant ballot disqualification in my opinion.
If the Democratic National Comm. had any integrity, they'd yank his chain.  But they won't: they've already reacted by complete denial and attacking the messenger.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2010-05-21 02:44 AM

But of course he's a liar.  Of course he should be replaced by a Democratic candidate who's better qualified.  Of course the Democratic Committee should yank him if they can.  What's the law on that, though?  I don't know, personally.

And Mike, what's the biz with only naming Democratic candidates to fit?  If you've read the diagnosis, you'd know you were talking through your hat.  If you haven't you're in way over your head.  Which would that be, then?  The diagnosis doesn't pick one party over the other as far as I've noticed.  I don't remember that the DSM actually mentions the politicians; that shows up more in the psychoanalytic literature.   You were questioning why I felt sympathy for folks who do things that seem so unsympathetic.  Sorry, guy.  I guess one of my flaws is that I see all sorts of people as human beings.  

So sue me.  Harry Stack Sullivan says, "We're all much more simply human than otherwise."  Isn't that the standard you'd want for yourself?  It's the standard I'd want for myself, I know.

But if you want to be held to something stricter, please let me know.  I don't know that I'd be willing to accommodate you, but I'm sure that there must be others out there someplace who you might be willing to talk into it.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2010-05-21 08:53 AM

I'll quote Ziggy, who said, "To err is human, but why must you be so human????"

Yes, both sides of the aisle can lie just as easily. I mentioned Gore and Kerry, along with Blumenthal, because they are so bad at it. I mean, if you're going to lie, at least do it in a plausible way. These people hold high public offices and are always capable of being under scrutiny or having their words or claims certified....and yet they come out with the most outlandish lies that a first-grader could see through. Doesn't Blumenthal realize that his service record could be easily checked to expose his lies? Doesn't he know that Harvard has an annual yearbook, with pictures of the swim team and everything?

I think they do it because they don't think anyone will call them on it, being democrats. Blumenthal had made multiple statements concerning his "time" in Vietnam and, indeed, no one had called him on it before. Contrast that to the army of reporters sent to check every second of Bush's military service and headlining any small detail they felt could be detrimental. See anything fair and balanced there?

Blumenthal is probably outraged that his words would actually be checked on for validation. Democrats are not used to that. Too bad...

threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy
9 posted 2010-05-21 09:46 PM

to back up with you are saying, Mike: I remember how Bush's military record got dissected line by line.  Remember how the Left demonized him as a 'Fake Soldier' because he was in the National Guard?  Then, most ALL of the soldiers sent to Iraq WERE National Guardsmen...oops, left!

Kerry embellished no less than 12 different Viet Nam stories (throwing his medals away, etc.) and promptly lost an election he probably should have won.

Gore's lies and flip flops on global warming are epic Spin at is most unpalatable.  

...and let's not forget John Edward's lies about his love child.
It's all about Arrogance
and elitism.  

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

10 posted 2010-05-21 10:35 PM

I will quietly walk away from this discussion.  I will not defend Democrats who made mistakes.  I will not point out Republicans who are and have been in hot water for one reason or another.  You may and no doubt shall draw any conclusion you wish to draw.

[This message has been edited by Bob K (05-22-2010 01:40 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Democrat Dictionary

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary