navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Slam Dunk
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Slam Dunk Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2010-05-13 08:27 AM

Illinois School Nixes Basketball Team's Trip to Arizona Over Immigration Law

An Illinois high school says it's denying its girls' basketball team the opportunity to play in an Arizona basketball tournament over the Grand Canyon State’s new immigration law.

Parents in Illinois are outraged over a move by a local high school to scrap its girls basketball team's trip to Arizona over the Grand Canyon State’s new immigration law.

The Highland Park High School varsity basketball team has been selling cookies for months to raise money for a tournament in Arizona..

Now, after winning their first conference title in 26 years, the girls are being denied the opportunity to play in the tournament over safety concerns and because the trip “would not be aligned” with the school's “beliefs and values,” Assistant Superintendent Suzan Hebson told the Chicago Tribune.

Hebson said Arizona is off-limits, at least until it’s more clear how the state’s new law, which makes it a crime to be in the country illegally, will be enforced.

"We would want to ensure that all of our students had the opportunity to be included and be safe and be able to enjoy the experience," Hebson told the Tribune about the tournament. "We wouldn't necessarily be able to guarantee that."

Parents said there was no vote or consultation regarding the decision, which they called confusing, especially since they say no players on the team are illegal immigrants.

“I’m not sure whose values and what values and what beliefs they’re talking about, we were just going to Arizona to play basketball and our daughters were very disappointed to find out the trip had been canceled,” Michael Evans, a father of one of the players told Fox News.

Evans said if for some reason a player was worried about her safety, she could always opt to stay home from the December tournament without forcing the entire team to do the same.

“This tournament was voluntary, so students could decide not to go if they thought they were at some sort of risk of some sort of harm to themselves, but to penalize all the other girls because of some potential risk? I don’t understand it,” he said.

Evans said he also failed to understand why the school allowed so many other trips, but not this one.

“The school has sent children to China, they’ve sent children to South America, they’ve sent children to the Czech Republic, but somehow Arizona is more unsafe for them than those places,” he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/hoop-dreams-shattered-arizona-safety-fears/

© Copyright 2010 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy
1 posted 2010-05-13 10:42 AM

Many people, when in doubt in a political issue, take their queues from the President.  What was the prez's take on Arizona?
It's so racially profiled there, that you could be stopped while in an ice cream store.

Fear mongering may be distateful, but it works for some people to shape their opinion.  
Maybe there's not as many as when he was first elected, but the Obama Sheeple seem unable to tell when Obama makes a valid point, and when he is just plain wrong.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2010-05-13 01:57 PM

True enough, Grinch. Obama paints the scenario, the press  runs with it, the sheep believe it and we become the United States of Hysteria. He knows exactly what he is doing and, I'm sure, is very pleased by these results.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
3 posted 2010-05-13 03:46 PM

quote:
True enough, Grinch.

Darn it Mike wait for me to tell you what to think before agreeing with me.

threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy
4 posted 2010-05-13 03:59 PM

oh toooooo funny!
Mike, don't mean to step on yur toes
but don't you know the difference between
a Hoosier
and a Grinch from Whoville?
Hey, wait a minute:
I'm ALWAYS being mistaken for a Grinch, tho...come to think of it.....
well um er uh

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2010-05-13 08:26 PM

Hey, grinch...I just decided to save time. Normally we trade a few dozen replies until I get exasperated enough to say "whatever you say" just to move on. This way I can agree before you say anything and we save all that time!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2010-05-13 09:11 PM

Too Cute....the repartee above, I mean. That being said...

I spent a lifetime or two in Illinois...
and guess what? They have their fair
share of "illegals" and others...

and the school's resident precedents need
to ensure that their funding won't be
recinded by pretensions of residing presidents
at the moment...

so of course they have to play the legally
illegal blame game.

Here's hoping that we won't be totally inundated
by the uninitiated by the time of 2012.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Slam Dunk

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary