navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interesting
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Interesting Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

0 posted 2009-10-25 07:51 AM

On what basis was a National Emergency declared regarding H1N1 when actual testing of patients ceased in July, and while testing was actually being done on those most likely to have it came back overwhelmingly negative?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/21/cbsnews_investigates/main5404829.shtml

Will CBS be the next accused of spreading lies and misinformation?

© Copyright 2009 Denise - All Rights Reserved
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
1 posted 2009-10-25 08:18 AM

quote:
On what basis was a National Emergency declared regarding H1N1

That was based on the increased number of deaths where the cause has been confirmed as H1N1.

quote:
Will CBS be the next accused of spreading lies and misinformation?

Yes.

I skimmed half of the article and found one outright lie and several instances of misinformation.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2009-10-25 08:27 AM

Obama needs this National Emergency, Denise, in the same way Clinton needed to bomb an aspirin factory during the Monica days.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
3 posted 2009-10-25 09:05 AM

Mike,

Ah, I see.

Obama has made up the swine flu pandemic to deflect attention away from the administration.

Wow!

If that's true I'm really impressed. He's managed to engineer a global pandemic, to trick every country into believing that their citizens are dying of a disease that doesn't exist and to falsify all the deaths in the US.

Is this the same guy that you insist has no organisational skills Mike? Or are you just imagining things again?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2009-10-25 09:17 AM

The swine flu pandemic? No. The national emergency? Yes.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
5 posted 2009-10-25 09:25 AM

So you think it's not an emergency Mike?

Would you care to explain why you think that?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
6 posted 2009-10-25 09:48 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2009-10-25 10:24 AM

Yes, grinch, I think it's not a national emergency but, after reviewing all of the information I can gather on it, it appears that our beurocracy dictates it be declared as one to have certain controls put into place.

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama signed a proclamation declaring swine flu a national emergency, the White House said Saturday. The order gives his health chief the power to let hospitals move emergency rooms offsite to speed treatment and protect noninfected patients.

Administration officials said the declaration was a pre-emptive move designed to make decisions easier when they need to be made. Officials said the move was not in response to any single development.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33459423/ns/health-cold_and_flu/

So it apparently has nothing to do with the amount of deaths to date or even impending projections, as the WHite House acknowledges. It is simply a step taken to ease restrictions on hospitals setting up temporary stations to dispense shots and getting paid for them. A thousand deaths in a country of 350 million being a national emergency? Hardly, but it does bode well for Obama to use it for political purposes.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2009-10-25 10:48 AM

This thing is fairly remindful of 2004 when Kerry was screaming that the shortage of flu shots was a Bush fiasco...and people here agreed with him.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
9 posted 2009-10-25 11:19 AM

quote:
So it apparently has nothing to do with the amount of deaths to date or even impending projections, as the WHite House acknowledges.

So presumably if it had nothing to do with deaths or projections they'd have announced the national emergency even if the death rate was falling and the projections were that the pandemic was subsiding.

Where did you get that idea from Mike?

This perhaps?

Officials said the move was not in response to any single development.

Not in response to any single development. Hmm.. that doesn't discount multiple developments - in fact it sort of infers multiple developments. I wonder what they might be?

An increase in the number of people dying and the projected spread of the disease based on the available data sounds like a reasonable bet to me.

quote:
A thousand deaths in a country of 350 million being a national emergency? Hardly,

At some point, early in 1918 only a thousand people had died from a variant of H1N1, I suppose you could have said at that point that it wasn't an emergency either. With hindsight and the knowledge that somewhere up to 80 million people died from that particular outbreak the evidence would suggest you would have been dead wrong - or just plain dead.

Given the facts about the current outbreak, and the lessons of history, I think calling a national emergency is more common sense than political manoeuvring.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2009-10-25 11:58 AM

I suppose you could have said at that point that it wasn't an emergency either

I never said it wasn't to be classified as an emergency.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
11 posted 2009-10-25 12:19 PM

quote:

Obama needs this National Emergency, Denise, in the same way Clinton Bush needed to bomb an aspirin factory raise the national security threat level during the Monica days 2004 campaign against John Kerry.

It just sounds like partisan pablum doesn't it Mike?

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

12 posted 2009-10-26 04:43 PM

Dear Mike,

If this approach doesn't work, you could always take a leaf from the Kerry position you quoted above and say that Obama hasn't provided enough enough swine flu vaccine for such a national emergency, and suggest that Obama is incompetent in that way.  OInly 11 million doses available now when the early estimates were for 120 million by this time in October according to PRI this morning.  This explanation sounds more reasonable as a way of giving the President a hard time, should you wish to do so, having the advantage of having a minimal amount of speculation behind it.

It still leaves us with swine flu to worry about and the need to deal with what may be or may not be a national emergency.  There is no certainty in the matter, and taking a position means that you have to put some prestige on the line and risk looking foolish.  This President Obama seems to have done, as is the duty of a good President.  You are taking your shot at him for doing so, which is your right as a citizen.

I'd be interested in knowing what you think the President should do in this situation.  If there's a position that you think would be best for the country here and what that might be and why.  I am sort of partial to what his actual actions have been at this point.  I figure that if I ask you your opinion, I should offer at least a shot at my own.  I have learned from your occasional requests for that when I ask you, and I think you're generally right to ask.

I hope everything is going well today, if today is the day.  Best wishes, Bob Kaven

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interesting

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary