navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Mass Distraction???
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mass Distraction??? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2009-10-21 03:16 PM

Report: White House neglecting bioterrorism

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is working hard to curb nuclear threats but failing to address the more urgent and immediate threat of biological terrorism, a bipartisan commission created by Congress is reporting today.

The report obtained by USA TODAY cites failures on biosecurity policy by the White House, which the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction says has left the country vulnerable. The commission, created last year to address concerns raised by post-9/11 investigations, warns that anthrax spores released by a crop-duster could "kill more Americans than died in World War II" and the economic impact could exceed $1.8 trillion in cleanup and other costs.

The government's efforts "have not kept pace with the increasing capabilities and agility of those who would do harm to the United States," the report says. "The consequences of ignoring these warnings could be dire." Says commission Chairman Bob Graham, a Democratic former senator from Florida: "The clock is ticking."

White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said protecting the nation from deadly weapons is among President Obama's "top national security priorities."

Among the commission's criticisms:

• President Obama's National Security Council has no senior political appointees with a biodefense background. "That was not the case in the Clinton and Bush administrations," the report says.

• Programs created after the 9/11 attacks to develop and buy vaccines and drugs to prevent and respond to a biological attack are not being funded adequately. Although the report is critical of the White House on this topic, Congress has the power of the purse. The report cites a funding shortage for a program to ensure there are enough drugs to respond to a bioterrorist attack.

The Obama administration asked for $305 million in its fiscal 2010 budget request. "Insufficient by a factor of 10," the report says.

• Disease surveillance programs fall short.

The government needs to invest in rapid diagnostic tests to "improve the nation's ability to treat people by providing a more timely and accurate diagnosis" — something that can be critical to treating the victim of a biological attack.

Shapiro says the government is spending $3.5 billion to protect the public from the H1N1 flu and is "carefully evaluating" broader "all-hazards" spending.

Commission Vice Chairman Jim Talent, a Republican former senator from Missouri, says: "The fact is, it is only getting easier and cheaper to develop and use biological weapons. ... It is essential that the U.S. government move more aggressively."

© Copyright 2009 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2009-10-21 03:27 PM

"Insufficient by a factor of 10"

Does that factor out the under 5 and over 49 age groups?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2009-10-21 07:07 PM

I think the report contained some good points; the call for a separation of nuclear and biological threats into two separate threat categories being dealt with by separate groups makes complete sense. The nature of each threat is different and so each, obviously, requires different tactics.

I was glad to see that Commission commended the work done so far by the administration along with the criticism regarding areas in need of improvement. From the selected points in your original post Mike I got the impression it was all going to be doom and gloom.

The full report due in January will probably be very similar - good but could do better.

http://www.preventwmd.gov/static/docs/report/WMDRpt10-20Final.pdf

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2009-10-21 07:18 PM

There were no "selected points". grinch. That was the entire article.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-10-21-WMD-threat_N.htm?csp=34

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2009-10-22 03:15 AM

Sorry Mike,

I wasn't trying to suggest or infer that you had highlighted selected points - rather that the author of the article had.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2009-10-22 04:21 PM

Anthrax is nasty.  There are other pathogens that are far worse and I believe the article to be essentially correct.  The problem with a lot of these things is weaponization of the pathogens,  Even so, that's merely the name of a bottleneck, and not a suggestion that the danger isn't and hasn't been real.  The article didn't mention chemical weapons, which I believe to be a major threat as well.  Thanks for bringing these subjects up, Mike.  I think they're important ones as well.

What do you think would be the best course of action to take in dealing with threats of this degree of seriousness?  What do you think we've done so far? And where do you think we should put our efforts and money in the future?  And where do you think we should get the money to deal with such threats?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2009-10-22 06:30 PM

I have no idea, Bob, and can't even pretend to offer advice or suggest action. There is one point brought up however.. President Obama's National Security Council has no senior political appointees with a biodefense background.

I would definitely have qualified people working on it. To not have is not only silly, it's derelict.

Where would the money come from? Who knows....maybe sneak a billion or two out of the pork projects in the stimulus bill. That would be a start.

threadbear
since 2008-07-10
Posts 817
Indy
7 posted 2009-10-23 08:44 AM

Mike, one thing that has always bothered me:

Whatever happened to the prosecution or outcome of the Anthrax terrorist?
How could such a big story just be allowed to die on the vine?  White House coverup or censorship?  I get the feeling that they asked news groups not to get in the way of the investigation.

When people say 'Bush kept us safe for 7 years', the Anthrax attack is always left out of that equation.  I don't repeat that mantra simply for that reason.  Is is NOT considered a 'terrorist' attack?

Any thoughts on these?

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2009-10-23 09:47 PM

Um... TB?  Really?

He (ahem) committed suicide (allegedly).

[or is that ciaicide?]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Mass Distraction???

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary