navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I give
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic I give Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
N|D|N|C|Lost-Poet
since 2009-07-30
Posts 360
New Orleans

0 posted 2009-09-18 11:54 PM

My all into some poems, they go ignored.

Barely try on others, they are praised.

I'm confused and angered at the ways of the world.

/rant

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

© Copyright 2009 Zachariah Gavia-Peyton - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2009-09-19 03:32 AM

Dear N/D/N/C/Lost-Poet,

These are only a few of the areas that writing does not give the poet the ability to control.  This doesn't stop anybody from being furious about it.  It never stopped me from being furious about it, and I fail to see why it should stop you from being furious about it.

Every time when I'm faced with the reality that the world isn't obligated to run by my rules, I find it a fresh insult.  In some kinds of psychology this is called a narcissistic wound, and everybody has them in one place or another.  The trick is to have them and still keep writing.

Other people can teach you a lot about what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong, of course.  The down side of this for me has always been the need to admit that the stuff I write isn't perfect in the first place so I can allow feedback in.  How much of myself I put into one piece or another of my writing is not always something I understand either, because I may not always understand what the nature of the poetic work for me may be, and I may be confusing fruitless head-banging — which sure feels like a lot of work — with a moment when I take a risk, and a lot of prior work pays off suddenly in a way that feels effortless but is actually the culmination of five years of effort.  

This sort of stuff isn't always easy to understand.  And it's important to learn about the nature of your own process to help the good stuff happen with a minimum of headbanging.  At least that's my thinking as of this moment in time.  What's your thought?

Yours, Bob Kaven

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2009-09-19 06:21 AM

Don't forget though that you are probably read much more than you are replied to~~
And you can  post in open, where more people tend to read and respond, whether you are a teen or not.
M

N|D|N|C|Lost-Poet
since 2009-07-30
Posts 360
New Orleans
3 posted 2009-09-19 03:08 PM

I do post in open poetry, quite often actually.

I pretty much agree with you Bob K,for lack of time I'll leave it at that for the moment.

-Poet

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
4 posted 2009-10-28 03:46 PM

Hey, LostPoet. It helps if you remember that it is about "you" not "them."  "They" do not have to respond, but "you" as a poet have to get the Muse off your chest.  I've posted in so many fora over the years that I've lost count.  Some individuals respond, my poetry obviously striking a chord with them:  many others and read and walked on.  Hey, so be it!  I said my bit, I've cast my seed:  who knows if any of it fell on fertile ground?  The beauty of it all is that you can do it, and you do.  It satisfies that nagging Muse, and, who knows? maybe, just maybe, it made a difference in one person's life.
Write on, my friend...it is what we do.
Jim

Sutra 30: Language reflects the Truth of one’s Reality: listen carefully when others speak.
Jim's Guide to Enlightenment

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I give

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary