navwin » Discussion » The Alley » White House Defends Biden as 'Asset'
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic White House Defends Biden as 'Asset' Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2009-07-27 08:35 PM

"The U.S. vice president's intention to tie this serious work (on cutting nuclear weapons stockpiles) to economic reasons rather than to the responsibility that Russia and the U.S. bear to the international community are absolutely incomprehensible,"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/27/white-house-defends-b iden-asset-despite-controversy-russia-remarks/

Anyone else care to do that?

Bartender,
no more for this guy . . .

© Copyright 2009 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2009-07-28 12:23 PM

There are one too many syllables in the word "asset" to describe Biden.

I think Obama flinches every time Joe opens his mouth!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2009-07-28 10:08 PM

Dear Huan Yi,

quote:

"The U.S. vice president's intention to tie this serious work (on cutting nuclear weapons stockpiles) to economic reasons rather than to the responsibility that Russia and the U.S. bear to the international community are absolutely incomprehensible,"
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/27/white-house-defends-b iden-asset-despite-controversy-russia-remarks/

In looking at the article in question, I noticed that the lead and slant of the article were, indeed, a critique of Joe Biden for commenting on the difficult state of the Russian economy.  I had not in fact been aware that the Russian economy was in as bad a state as all that, and had thought that because of the large Russian gas and oil reserves, the Russians were in a fairly good economic place.  Perhaps you were aware of the difficult state of the Russian economy, and simply assumed the rest of us understood this, but this is not the case.  To me the information itself is news and should have been reported separately by Fox (and anybody or everybody else, since it seems of global significance rather than a piece of Joe Biden's trademark blunt speech.  

Was in fact what Biden said correct?

If it was correct, what was Fox waiting for to pass the news on to the public.  CNN and NBC and the rest of them as well, by the way.

For Fox in particular, however, they mention in passing that a number of significant negotiations had taken place since The President's visit there a few months back.  

Is there some reason they think a little bit of information on what the details of those negotiations might be would be the wrong thing to share with the public.  I'm always ready to hear another funny Joe Biden story; I've been listening to them for years and I very much look forward to hearing them for a long time to come.  He's a good guy with a gaffe.  But to know that Russia is in Economic trouble, that we are in a position to get some concessions from them, and that we've actually been doing so may actually verge on being important news.

Why is it that when Fox presents the story, I have to read the important story between the lines here?

Unless you feel that  Joe Biden making another blunt statement is more significant.  You seem a fan of Harry Truman, who was famous for comments that couldn't be quoted, even today, in these pages, and you're ruffled by Joe Biden?  

Fair and unbiased all the way.

Yours, Bob Kaven

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2009-07-28 10:44 PM

Ruffled, Bob? Driven to hilarity is more like it,,
'
While campaigning in Missouri, Joe Biden calls upon State Sen. Chuck Graham to "stand up," despite the fact that he is in a wheelchair.

While campaigning in Ohio, Joe Biden says that "J-O-B-S" is a three-letter word.

At his first campaign rally with Barack Obama, Joe Biden slips up and calls Obama "Barack America."

"Jill and I had the great honor of standing on that stage, looking across at one of the great justices, Justice Stewart." –Joe Biden, mistakenly referring to Justice John Paul Stevens, who swore him in as vice president, Washington, D.C., Jan. 20, 2009

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." –Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008

and then, of course, Biden on the campaign trail talking about being with the guys at a local restaurant (which had been closed down for over 20 years.

I'm not ruffled. I'm worried...worried that Biden will surpass Dan Quayle in the "dumb remarks" department! Maybe the two of them could write a book like "Vice-Presidents say the dumbest things!!"

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2009-07-29 05:53 PM

He's made so many gaffes I wondered whether he had the same scriptwriter as a certain former President.

The Russian economic statement however wasn't one of them, for the simple reason that what he said happens to be the truth.

I better correct that, what he said was only half of the truth, if he were being entirely truthful he'd have mentioned that the US is also in no fit state to enter another arms race.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » White House Defends Biden as 'Asset'

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary