navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Freezing
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Freezing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-12-15 08:03 PM

One scientist on a list-serv replied:

Since Clinton's inauguration, summer Arctic sea ice has lost the equivalent of Alaska, California and Texas. The 10 hottest years on record have occurred since Clinton's second inauguration. Global warming is accelerating.

Rubbish. Global warming is not “accelerating”:  global warming has stopped. There has been no statistically significant rise in mean global temperature (MGT) since 1995, and MGT has fallen since 1998.

The Earth has been warming for 300 years since the Little Ice Age (LIA) so, of course, the warmest years happened recently. But that warming from the LIA peaked in the El Niño year of 1998. MGT has been near but below that peak for the last ten years.

Arctic ice advances and recedes over decades. The year 2007 saw a minimum in Arctic ice cover in the short period that it has been monitored using satellites.  But 2008 saw the most rapid growth in Arctic ice cover in that same period and Arctic ice cover is now back to the average it has had in the period. Also, 95 percent of polar ice is in the Antarctic, and Antarctic ice is increasing.

Nobody can know if the recent halt to global warming is temporary, permanent, or the start of a new warming or cooling phase. But it is certain that anybody who proclaims that “Global warming is accelerating” is “a liar, a fool, or both.”

Another wrote:
What does it take to ignore ten years of global cooling, sharply declining temperatures the last couple of years, a record-setting lack of sunspots, the flipping of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation into its cool mode, the failure of computer models to predict real climate, the predictable warming and cooling climates for the past 500 years, etc.?
The answer is really quite simple—just follow the money!

I did, in Red Hot Lies.

. http://planetgore.nationalreview.com/

So what are the facts . . .

as I carry two cans
of defroster to make sure
I can get into my car
in the morning to go to work?

>

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2008-12-15 08:17 PM

anybody who proclaims that �Global warming is accelerating� is �a liar, a fool, or both.

Wrong, John. Gore is certainly a liar but he's no fool. Long ago he decided that global warming would be his road to the end of the rainbow. At the same time, he set up different companies that would benefit from a "global warming" movement he was so instrumental in creating. He has smiled all the way to the bank ever since.

He's no fool. The people who believe him are.

hooray for Hollywood....

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
2 posted 2009-01-05 01:41 PM

Is it possible both "sides" could be right?  Is it warmer in some places and cooler in others?  This could account for the consistency in the recent MGT's, as in, it's a little cooler in the Arctic at the moment, and Mumbai is hotter than ever.  Net change in MGT: 0.

To the best of my memory, the earth not only "spins" on its axis, it also wobbles.  And it doesn't ask anyone for permission.  

Best, Jimbeaux

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2009-01-05 09:09 PM

Is it possible both "sides" could be right?  Is it warmer in some places and cooler in others?  This could account for the consistency in the recent MGT's, as in, it's a little cooler in the Arctic at the moment, and Mumbai is hotter than ever.  Net change in MGT: 0.

Interesting question, Jimbeaux. In a word.....no. Gore's side is that WE are causing globla warming. I doubt that Mumbai is hotter because of all that automobile traffic, factories and cans of aerosol hair spray they use there

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Freezing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary