navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Any auto mechanics here? sighing
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Any auto mechanics here? sighing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines

0 posted 2008-09-19 10:30 AM

well after spending  around $3000 plus on repairs a month ago when I broke down in another state...came back 10 days later with a rental to get my car...broke down 2 more times 16 miles away ( that one had a bent speedometer thingy not allowing the odometer to work or get into another gear..so he took mine out  so he said from my original motor) and then  an hour away losing all transmission fluid and needing to be towed back each time to the same transmission shop... Then with my engine light blinking the other 100 miles, eventually making it to Tenn. to return my mother home. After several calls back to the shop was told it was trying to recalibrate..my mechanic said it was  misfiring and shouldn't have been driven)

Then on the way back to PA  making it as far as 100 miles from home and broke down again needing to be towed the rest of the waybecause it lost all its coolant.

Had the car checked  by my local shop leaving it there for a few weeks for them to look it over after a used motor and transmission had been  put in,  in Va..to find out the motor is no good.  

Paper says I have a 90 day warranty on the motor and trnasmission but no labor warranty. Was recommended to call  VA and tell the mechanic the problem and ask for money in return.

Got as far as  2 minutes into the conversation which I dreaded to begin with and he hung up on me after saying well when you have a used motor you will have problems.

I didn't even get to say well you should  call up where you got the motor and get the money back and reimburse me... but never got that far nor time to say I am going to get a lawyer. Anyway he charged me $1890 just for the used motor. I have a feeling he pocketed some money and that is the problem as my mechanic says it should never have cost that much JUST for a USED motor...anyone ever have a problem like that and how would or did you solve it?

It's going to cost me for another motor in the meantime...and  hopefully not much else since I already had to replace the water pump first in order to even  see what else was wrong. P.S. my air conditoning and my cruise control were never reconnected either and the cruise control  wire was broken at the connection which was not broken to begin with.

Who do you believe anymore...and of course all was paid in cash...another lesson learned! And you wonder why women get so steamed at being taken today!!

Maureen

"Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more, it is willing to see less."
(Will Moss)

© Copyright 2008 Wynter Bliss - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-09-19 06:06 PM

Oh, M! I am so sorry you've been taken for such a ride!!!!
I hope you can find some way to get a refund on the engine, but it will be difficult to follow up when you're out of state.
You probably need someone with clout to step in and help you before that 90 days expires.
I wish you luck!
About 22 years ago I had to replace the engine on a Toyota Corolla. It cost $800 including labor. I've no idea what these things cost today, but an engine alone for almost 2K sounds a bit steep. Good luck, lady, and I hope someone here at Pips will have some helpful suggestions for you.
xxx,
Kacy

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2008-09-19 10:06 PM

Thanks, well I contacted the Mayor's office of the small town by phone( once I found a number that worked on line)who told me to call the BBB of Roanoke VA who heard my story and are sending me a complaint form.

Then I will send  everything I have plus the sequence of events in a duplicate copy,  one to them and one to the mechanic by registered mail.  

I was told to let them first handle it and try to settle it and then if not I will go back to VA, find a lawyer and start a lawsuit there.
Although it is 400 miles from me, my mother only lives a little over 100 miles from there so it wouldn't kill me to be able to go to court if I have to or depositions or anything.
That alone should get some satisfaction since he is a newer business and this would definitely hurt his reputation.
Other than that, don't be surprised if I wouldn't get in touch with a local tv station or newspaper. I am not one to take anything like cheating sitting still.

It took me  over half a day to get this far  on the subject.

M

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

3 posted 2008-09-19 11:12 PM

Most state attorney general's offices have consumer protection divisions.
I would see if there is one in your state and file a complaint there.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Any auto mechanics here? sighing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary