navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Does the left hand know
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Does the left hand know Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

0 posted 2008-09-17 10:12 PM

what the right hand is doing?

While the head of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff was in Pakistan to smooth over the outrage that Pakistanis were feeling when they found the United States has been conducting Special Forces operations inside Pakistani territory, N.P.R. reported today, his task was complicated by U.S. missile attacks on what were apparently Taliban positions within those same borders.  

Their newly elected President is apparently pro-American and we feel it important to support him.  If he doesn't raise a fuss at our incursions into his territory, he looses support in his own country, loses power, and we loss a potential friend.  If he does raise a fuss he gets criticized by the United States right wing.

What's in our best interest, folks?

And why make the Head of The Joint Chiefs of Staff look like a fool in front of a foreign government, and make ourselves appear that we can't be trusted to negotiate in good faith?

[This message has been edited by Bob K (09-18-2008 01:35 AM).]

© Copyright 2008 Bob K - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2008-09-17 11:59 PM

Forgive my incompetence.

I just had some surgery and a road trip and a family values evacuation.

Do we have a newly elected president?

I'll be really ticked if that is so...

Since I'm asking questions, who was the LAST elected president?

(sorry...anesthesia yanno... )

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2008-09-18 01:39 AM

Dear Serenity,

While you were away, we all got together and elected you President of Pakistan.  We need to keep this very very quiet, or President Bush will invade New Orleans.  Your discretion in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Yours in Purity of Fluids,

Dr. Strangelove

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2008-09-18 02:35 AM

Okay.

Brief me on this in the morning?

And I want a staff meeting called after lunch.

(Do I have a staff?)

And if I do, do y'think turning my staff into a snake would be like, overkill?

Are you my PR guy BobK?

Damn if I don't feel...ew-lected.

And,

"Just goin' with my gut, folks..."

*chuckle*

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2008-09-18 08:32 AM

K, I'm a key member of your advisory staff (now that we elected you USA PREZ, cuz we want a strong REAL woman who has been through it all and survived with a sense of dignity and humor).
I am generally available on Thursdays, but am currently tied up with bailing out the big guys' sinking Wallstreet financial boats, so I haven't time to meet with you to address the needs of ordinary citizens seeking literal bailouts from storms, or to advise on issues on other countries. Catch me tomorrow, eh?

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2008-09-18 09:19 AM

Where do you want me, Boss??? The only cabinet post I could not do is anything economic in nature, as my economic oputlook is pretty grim.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2008-09-18 10:41 AM

Can I be your intern, Serenity gal, if I get down on my knees and beg?
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2008-09-18 10:57 AM

Now this is what I'm talking about!

Just surround yourself with people with really good heads on their shoulders!

and I'd love to stay and play, but lemme go put on my ultrasound outfit.

(Nod. I am dressing for access.)

Sheesh.

Till later, good people.

(Carry on, Bob.) *smile*

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

8 posted 2008-09-18 11:13 AM

Maybe it was a not so subtle warning shot?  The US has given Pakistan billions in aid earmarked for military operations in the tribal regions near Afghanistan yet is seems some of those billions were diverted to finance weapons systems designed to counter India.

Also, seems a bit late for negotiations after Bush had already authorized military strikes against alleged Taliban and Al Qaeda supporters on Pakistani soil without the permission of the Pakistani government.

What's in our best interest - vote Obama.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2008-09-18 09:09 PM

" the outrage that Pakistanis were feeling when they found the United States has been conducting Special Forces operations inside Pakistani territory"

Why was the United States doing that?
To corner Pakistani oll?

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

10 posted 2008-09-19 01:41 AM

Dear Huan Yi,

Possibly for the same reasons that the Pakistanis got rid of their last President, so that now their new one must balance being pro-American on the one hand (his enemies, the guys in the Pakistani intelligence services and the hard-line Islamic extremists accuse him of being pro-American, and can hardly wait for him to show some overt sign of it to justify a revolution) and being a Pakistani patriot (and making sure that his country's borders are respected by what the extremists over there still think of as The Great Satan).

Pretty much the same set of conflicts that any national leader has to face.

Except that his country is pretty much in a state of near revolution all the time and his status is very uneasy.  His wife, who won the office, was just recently murdered, if you remember, and if he's too supportive of western interests, not only will those interests not be served, and his people not gain greater freedom, which I believe he does want, but his country will be thrown back into the camp of the Islamic extremists and, oh yes, by the way, it's likely he'll be assassinated as well.

The United States has been free to do this sort of thing all along, Huan Yi.  To insult a guy who's trying to help us out while the head of our own Joint Chiefs of Staff is in country to provide reassurance and stability raises the same question you just asked me, and, as well, anybody else here who's interested.

Why are we doing it while the head of the JCS is in country?  Is it for the oil?  Or, perhaps, is Cheney looking for another war to start now that Iran looks as though it may not fly apart as he's been working for over the past few years.

Hmmmm?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Does the left hand know

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary