navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Putin
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Putin Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-09-01 05:39 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414384,00.html

Just what is going on?
I remember a picture of him
fishing bare-chested
with a big knife stuck in his belt.

It wouldn’t matter if Russia didn’t
have nuclear weapons, and couldn’t
bring at least the EU to it’s knees
by simply turning to off the oil tap

Putin strikes me as the one reality
Americans somehow choose to ignore

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
1 posted 2008-09-01 07:15 PM

I don’t think for one minute that the US government is ignoring Putin and Russia - I just think that there’s not a lot they can do to influence Russia’s actions anymore. The cold war is over, the cash war is now being played out and the US is losing thanks to it‘s national debt which has been financed by the far and middle east and Russia.

Russia is unlikely to bring the EU to it’s knees by cutting off the oil and gas supplies - that would be like shooting the goose that’s laying the golden eggs and could potentially damage Russia’s economy, perhaps irreparably. Russia could however bring the US to it’s knees quite easily, and with much less risk, by offloading the $75 billion dollars worth of US securities they currently hold.

Dropping that financial bomb on the world currency market is a far more real threat than waving a few intercontinental ballistic missiles around that you’re never really going to use and the outcome could be far more devastating to the US.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Putin

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary