navwin » Discussion » The Alley » the appearance of impropriety
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic the appearance of impropriety Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-02-22 07:04 PM

“The point of this "Long Run" installment was that, according to people who know him well, this man who prizes his honor above all things and who appreciates the importance of appearances also has a history of being sometimes careless about the appearance of impropriety, about his reputation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/business/media/21askthenewsroom.html?pagewanted=1&_r    =2

Who decides  “the appearance of impropriety”?

We’re talking about a man who, when offered,
refused to be released as a prisoner of war
from where he had been tortured unless
those prisoners with him were released as well.

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
1 posted 2008-02-22 07:42 PM

Not true. McCain is not this sort. He is a very  strong man. or if only in consideration of political careerer, still it is not his interest.  
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2008-02-22 09:03 PM

John McCain
is the true radical
We can’t begin to understand

We are talking about a man
who from his youth to this day
can’t raise his arms above his shoulders
because of what he went though.

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
3 posted 2008-02-23 01:55 PM

Did he go through the Jail of Viet-gong and have seen death of American soldiers? Those experience if did not beat him down then must have supported him up. A cruel life experience always make a person tough.

As for a affair....this is just disgusting intention.  Political matter is different from moral matter.   Why not put it in law? Rudy Giuliani and the mayer of LA have done it. why just put them in jail?  I think that they shall be jailed for 12 weeks. Today not many care about moral of a society. But rather the interesting stories.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2008-02-23 04:06 PM

quote:
Who decides “the appearance of impropriety”?

No-one decides - the appearance of impropriety isn’t something that can be bestowed or endowed it either exists or it doesn’t, the only decision involved is whether you see it or not.

Also, I don’t see what being a prisoner or being tortured has to do with the question of apparent impropriety - does either make you immune?

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
5 posted 2008-02-23 08:55 PM

It can make you indifferent . . .

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
6 posted 2008-02-23 09:10 PM

very human!!!
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
7 posted 2008-02-24 03:38 AM

John McCain
touched the Great Death for years.
There is much as a consequence
that does not matter to him.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2008-02-24 03:58 AM

I have seen what it is for those men who have been through wars...and a rationale for true leadership is something that goes missing, primarily because of the pent up anger, disgust, antipathy, etc.

I do not know if what Mr. McCain did in his past life before, or after he came from the war, is current in this issue of Presidency; I only know that his "war wounds", mental, physical, and emotional, need to be taken into account. People are very, very good at hiding things; so I would look into those areas first, if we are going to scrutinize a candidate for the highest power in this country.

As for morality; that is up to not only his God, but his wife and family to decide. Look back on history, and you'll see many of our presidents whose morals were in question. Yet, they went on to take this country to where we are today, and it far exceeds the last 100 years.

I would like to have a president who won't sleep through meetings; doesn't need to take naps; is A game all the way through; and doesn't necessarily need a woman or man as a spouse at their side to see them through the hard decisions.

So while we're at it? I'd like one who can stand by their decisions, and not waffle in the end.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
9 posted 2008-02-24 07:54 AM

quote:
John McCain
touched the Great Death for years.
There is much as a consequence
that does not matter to him.

That ‘s a little worrying, on two counts. The first is it suggests he looks at things in a different way than most people. Different on it’s own isn’t a problem unless that difference sets him apart, or diametrically opposite in views, from the people he’s representing. It could be reasonable to suggest that he is not a man of the people but a man set apart, or distant , from the people. The second is that what “doesn’t matter to him” is an unknown entity -  what other additional baggage apart from the appearance of impropriety doesn’t matter to him?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
10 posted 2008-02-24 10:58 AM

Let those without sin cast the first stone. Mr. McCain's dealings with the banking scandal in AZ was not what is portrayed. He stood too long by a friend who lied. Not a bad thing - and I don't for a second  believe he used a lobbyist relationship for his own good. Look more deeply at the man to find his heart.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
11 posted 2008-02-24 11:52 AM

Looking into his heart is a little difficult Sharon without knowing the man personally, in cases like this appearance is as close as one can get. It may be, as John suggests, that the appearance is misleading and is due to McCain’s disregard for appearances rather than any actual impropriety. If that’s true however then you have to at least concede that he’s afflicted with a severe case of poor judgement .

The Senate Ethics Committee seemed to think so too - according to them McCain was guilty of "poor judgment" rather than any inappropriate action in the Keating Five scandal.

They probably weren’t looking into his heart either or judging based on appearances alone, hopefully they were looking at the facts which tends to lend their opinion a little weight.

Whether they themselves were without sin is another question entirely.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » the appearance of impropriety

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary