navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Are Animals People?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Are Animals People? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-07-19 09:40 PM

RICHMOND, Va. —  The Michael Vick dogfighting case made its way to the floor of the U.S. Senate Thursday when its most senior member publicly declared his outrage, saying he's witnessed one execution but wouldn't mind seeing another "if it involves this cruel, sadistic, cannibalistic business of training innocent, vulnerable creatures to kill."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290061,00.html

Do animals have souls?

Hope you’re not sunk into a cheese burger
while reading this.

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2007-07-20 02:57 PM

Does it matter if animals have souls? They feel pain... is torture only wrong if the recipient has a soul? We can't even prove that people have souls.

Do I think the guy deserves execution if he's guilty? No... but I don't believe in the death penalty, period. Probably colors my opinion a bit.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
2 posted 2007-07-20 03:26 PM

Are animals people?

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the title.

I think hush summed it up pretty well.

“Well all the apostles, they’re sittin’ on the swings, sayin’ I’d sell off my savior for a set of new rings.”

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2007-07-20 03:31 PM

While I do not think this type of "sport" or "entertainment" should even be allowed in non-polite circles, I do not believe that the death penalty is any more warranted than if he poisoned the neighbor's chihuahua or shot the parakeet on the other side.

I DO feel that, if convicted, Mr. Vick should be sentenced to the maximum allowed for the state statures for animal cruelty.
One unfortunate side effect to this entire situation, though, is that it is going to more than likely cost a very fine quarterback (and probably one of the best in the game) his career. As bad as it sounds, it would have been better had he been doing drugs in the back of a school bus with a bunch of 17 year olds. That would be more socially acceptable, and would have made him a bigger star.

Welcome to modern America.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
4 posted 2007-07-20 03:45 PM

I think I'm going to start a side thread about this subject if you don't mind John.

“Well all the apostles, they’re sittin’ on the swings, sayin’ I’d sell off my savior for a set of new rings.”

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2007-07-20 07:10 PM

I just checked with my cats and they assure me they have souls. They also tell me that they sit around wondering if HUMANS have souls...
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2007-07-24 10:32 AM

I feel no compassion for anyone who abuses, be it animal or human...the mind of that abuser is sick, regardless if animals have souls or not...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Are Animals People?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary