navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Obesity
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Obesity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-03-25 06:21 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6494117.stm

Just what is bloody well going on here?

This is a fairly recent phenomenon;
I can remember when the Australians in particular
were known for their fitness.

It can’t all be blamed on PC’s
and I’ve heard nothing about an epidemic
of glandular issues.

So what is behind all this physical,
and medically dangerous, letting go?

John

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2007-03-25 06:31 PM

OH man...I hope it's not VEGEMITE.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2007-03-25 06:48 PM

Well, at least
there's less smoking . . .

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2007-03-26 01:06 PM

Did you miss this part of the article:

"A lack of exercise and a poor diet, including drinks loaded with sugar and high-fat snacks ... "

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2007-03-26 01:45 PM

I think one of the greatest problems are serving sizes in dine-out restaurants, and the high levels of trans-fats that speckle many of their meals.

Back when I lived in the suburbs of Boulder, Colorado (the health food capital of America, LOL, couldn't resist saying that!) me and my family nonetheless enjoyed eating out more often then and, moreover, because I was a shy, lonely kid who had difficulties socializing, I stayed at home ever too much watching television and such, and that sort of inactivity made me gain some pounds. I've never been obese in my life, but I weighed 160 when I was seventeen, which is slightly overweight for someone of that height and age.

Now, I weigh only 129 pounds, which is considered slightly underweight for someone my age and height, which I believe the dramatic decrease is due to three things: 1) converting to a vegetarian lifestyle four years ago after being fed up with stories of certain meat producers treating the animals especially cruel, 2) becoming a dire fan of "Dance Dance Revolution" and playing the videogame frequently, and 3) Portland, Oregon is an excellent city to walk in because of light-rail availability, thus walking frequently burns many calories and works as exercise.

Actually, here in Portland, Oregon you'll find farmers markets and co-ops everywhere, thus I rarely eat out at chain diners and have only stepped into a fast-food joint three times in the past year-and-a-half. I also do my monthly grocery shopping at Wild Oats, which is to a large extent an alternative foods grocer that's much healthier overall than the main grocers, and though eating too much of anything can dramatically increase weight, you also get many more of the vital minerals, B vitamins, omega acids and polyunsaturated fats in their food comapred to, say, Safeway's, thus I think where you shop can also matter.

In fact, I cook many of my own meals now, including sweet potato pancakes, tangy stir-frys and saag baag, and whenever I do go out to eat, it's usually to the Marineopolis Sushi Land conveyor sushi restaurant, where I enjoy some cucumber rolls, soybean salad and a cup of green tea.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2007-03-26 01:52 PM

John--since our last conversation regarding obesity, I can proudly proclaim there is both less of ME and less smoking.

That said, if you recall (or if I recall correctly) when I asked you why you were frightened of fat women, you had stated that you felt suffocated by the sight of someone who appeared to have difficulty in movement and such.

If I got that wrong, I apologize.

Even sitting down, I am too lazy to look up the thread. *laughing*

But I am curious, as to WHY overweight Australians would bother you. Do have some bizarre nightmarish scenario of being overwhelmed by an army of overweight Aussies invading your personal space?

Is that what it is about obesity? Are you in fear of your personal space being invaded by some errant extra roll of personage actually *gasp* touching you?

And this alarm that you feel, is that for women only--or, are fat guys okay?

I am genuinely curious here.

So...picture this scenario. You are in a dire situation, say....a FLOOD. A bus has arrived to rescue you, and you are one of the fortunate who is chosen to receive the charitable ride out of hell. But it's a close call John. You are also the last person to be safely assigned a seat on that bus--but alas, it is right next to a morbidly obese person. Are you gonna take the seat, or recuse yourself, and wait, not knowing when or if another bus will arrive? (And no, you are not allowed to STAND.)

And honestly John, I am not without my personal quirks either. I get the shivers when I can count the vertabrae on a woman's back, the outlines of her kidneys, and it is equally laborious for them to move with any agility. Frankly, I feel an urge to take them home and feed them potato chowder.

But when I see people that thin, I feel more sadness than revulsion, because I know that eating disorders are a direct result of bias of beauty standard. (There are other factors as well, such as personal control that are factored in, so just don't get sidetracked on that, please.)

Also, I have no idea if that person's problem is a result of a medical condition or not--and um, neither do you.

I'm also curious if you understand that although, yes, this is a "feeling" that you have, it causes people pain?

You can curb your tongue, avert your eyes, and be perfectly polite and even rationalize your prejudice as compassion for the person who has a "disorder"--but as I said in another thread--you cannot hide a "vibe".

So...do tell, John.

I think you are talented and interesting.

And apparently honest.

At least you ADMIT it--many people don't, but as I said, you cannot hide a "vibe".

Not without proper instruction anyway, typeth the witch. *cackle*

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2007-03-26 06:05 PM

Is obesity always negative / bad?  
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2007-03-26 06:26 PM

Ess--I'd have to find the thread to explain.

I happen to think if someone is happy with their life as it is, and as long as they harm none, it's their business. Huan confessed a fear of fat people--so this is just me, teasing Huan for an old thread, but still genuinely curious.

But I am too tired to go look for the thread now.

I've had a four month case of "the vapors" and lately I've been subsisting on berries and water. *laughing* BY CHOICE.

I'm gonna wrastle the mailman for my vegemite tho. <---whew, guess that was my cardiovascular exercize for the day!

Now I'm EXHAUSTED!

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
8 posted 2007-03-26 07:36 PM

In England they are having to change out the theatre seats
and on cruise ships they are installing stronger chairs
and now the article above.  Much of this phenomenon,
at least in the First World countries, has happened
in the last ten years.   My question remains what has
changed.

(And SB you misquoted me.  I simply said they scare me)
The burdens are a medical and financial fact.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2007-03-26 08:07 PM

I would druther say I paraphrased you John--I didn't feel like finding the thread and doing the quote thing and being all snooty about this.

As for medical problems?

I guess you'd have no way of knowing, but my brother died three years ago of a combination of sleep apnea and morbid orbesity. I watched him suffer John. It was a horrible death, and medically inexplicable as well because the amount of weight he gained in eight months baffled even the doctors.

But you wouldn't know have known that, now would you?

As for compensations being made for the larger human--women's feet are larger as well. Children hit puberty at an earlier age now. Does any of that bother you?

Some people might wonder why I bother with these discussions.

I suspect you actually are a compassionate, sensitive person John. (I read pretty much every thing you post and doubt seriously that it could be written by a heartless astard. But I guess I am an idealist who STILL believes, in spite of everything, that there is no such thing as a throw-away person. So yeah, I think you may have one whopper of a heart John.

I also suspect that somebody finding that out and trying to get too close to you terrifies you. Can't say I blame you--it hurts to love and the "goodbyes" are hard as hell.

But I also suspect you know that too.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2007-03-26 08:34 PM

SB,

Intent on the small
you keep missing the larger issue I’m asking about.
What I was hoping the discussion would center on
was whether this recent wave of obesity was indicative
of some faith having fallen in First World cultures
and thereby a, perhaps unconscious,  surrender on it’s part
to vulnerability.

I don’t think this would be so difficult if Homer Sinpson
were in mind.

There is a passage in the book “Fail Safe”  
involving the Russian language translator that I’ve been particularly
thinking of all this time which is too long to relate, however
if the text of that book is on a site that someone will point me to
I will search find and bring it out.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2007-03-26 08:58 PM

quote:
What I was hoping the discussion would center on
was whether this recent wave of obesity was indicative
of some faith having fallen in First World cultures
and thereby a, perhaps unconscious,  surrender on it’s part
to vulnerability.

Then John, why didn't you just say so?

Conversations would go so much more smoothly if you were a little more direct.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2007-03-26 09:01 PM

I didn't understand the Homer Simpson reference either.

Would you mind explaining that one to me?

deepinthought
since 2007-03-26
Posts 2

13 posted 2007-03-26 09:46 PM

nice..... it must be the convenience of it all
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
14 posted 2007-03-26 10:11 PM

Dunno, but there's a problem with our youth and it worries me, because I can out work-out girls half my age.

There's something wrong with that.

I smoke, dare anyone to try and take my carbs from me, I normally refuse to run unless someone's chasing me with a knife, require bribery (like chocolate truffles) to perform sit-ups or push-ups, and pull-ups? I'd rather pretend I don't know how so some guy will do them while I watch. And I usually like to celebrate my workouts with a couple drinks that have some real "power" to them and not that RedBullsh*t and yes, I eat meat, and my sweets better have real sugar in them.

The young girls 19-26 in my gym class are all pretty, all sizes, and from all different places, but they have very little flexibility, strength, no stamina and endurance, no desire to push for a pulse beyond a resting rate.

and here I thought I'd be the one passed out on the sidelines, huh. I'm the top performer in the class, and I'm not bragging. I really feel like there's something wrong with that.

We have a good rapport, so they tease me about being a hot mama, and I tease them about their push-up bras cuttin' off the circulation to their wanna.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2007-03-26 10:22 PM

I don't understand "deepinthought"'s answer either.

Thank you Reggie-girl, for typing a direct, lucid reply.

Sigh

I don't watch The Simpsons. shocking, I know, so I guess I didn't get the joke.

And I don't mind being referred to as ignorant or even oblivious.

But thanks Reg. Even if I am envious of your metabolism.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
16 posted 2007-03-26 10:41 PM

/pip/Forum103/HTML/001728.html

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
17 posted 2007-03-26 11:18 PM

What is wrong with being someone that likes pleasing walks and contemplation, but cares nothing about running or being vigorous and especially expressing physical strength or stamina?  A woman that may like to wear a pleasant dress, but cares nothing about especially being glamorous, nor being "skinny"? That woman is most likely a wise lady with good manners.  Not every woman wants or needs to follow in the footsteps of Miss Glamour Model or Miss Athletic Fitness.  

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
18 posted 2007-03-27 09:14 AM

I think our current situation with weight is extremely unhealthy. Speak out against obesity, and everyone's mad because you're imposing an "unrealistic ideal" of beauty. But while our pop culture does indeed enforce that view (I won't lie- I feel bad because I used to be a size or two- and over 20 pounds- smaller), I think the other side pushes back just as hard.

On the one hand, we have the super skiny Kiera Knightly's setting unhealthy (and unrealistic) beauty standards. On the other hand, obesity is a serious problem, sedentary lifestyles are a serious problem, our horrible diets are a serious problem. I may feel bad that I've put on inches and pounds... but I feel worse that I can't physically work out as well as I used to.

Obesity has serious health implications. It also, unfortunately, has serious social implications. But, do we make accomadations for this unhealthy lifestyle (bigger seats, etc.) or do we shape public policy to encourage more healthy behaviors (i.e.- heavy taxes on cigarrettes and alcohol, a capped time to stop selling alcohol, smoking bans in more and more cities...)

I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but it is something worth thinking about. Our government (at least, my local one) enforces policies that make it somewhat less convenient to smoke and drink- how about "sin" taxes on junk food? How about getting soda pop out of schools (oh wait... that's profitable- couldn't get rid of that.) I mean, we really do have a problem, and freedom of choice is all well and good... but seriously- people are very sick... little kids are having heart attacks... so what's the answer?

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
19 posted 2007-03-27 11:40 AM

Ess~

quote:
What is wrong with being someone that likes pleasing walks and contemplation, but cares nothing about running or being vigorous and especially expressing physical strength or stamina?

Absolutely nothing, unless that someone wants to live with me, which will require him/her to earn their keep or take a walk, period. If that someone wants to work for me he/she needs to take it to heart, mind and soul: I don’t pay people to stand around contemplating. EOE, here.

But since you are addressing women:

quote:
A woman that may like to wear a pleasant dress, but cares nothing about especially being glamorous, nor being "skinny"? That woman is most likely a wise lady with good manners.  Not every woman wants or needs to follow in the footsteps of Miss Glamour Model or Miss Athletic Fitness.

Yeah? That's great. Who's cleaning her house? Birthing and Tending her children, her gardens and quiet walkways? She is?

Cool. Send her on down. I don’t usually hire out, but I can always use a bonafide, unglamorous woman who's willing to get her hands dirty. Though I suspect, she’ll be cussin’ like a sailor by the time she gets done helping me shovel a ton of shite out of my barn, hefting 50lb bales of hay, 100lb bags of feed, mowing the “back 40,” with a jump started mower (careful) red on red, black on black, then when we get that done we gotta shower and go to work. Sorry, don’t have time for “tea.”

Unless a woman has the freedom that wealth provides or a hard-bodied slave Man stuffed somewhere in a closet waiting on her beck and call, (I don’t believe in Genies) she’ll have to work.

Narration: “She looks around for a man and the sound of crickets--no, it’s the muffled grind of her ancient refrigerator motor threatening to quit any second, and she’s the only one that hears it, or cares, or dares to work another day to afford a new one if that piece of crap finally sputters its last cycle of cool. But it’s okay, because she has tools! She has a truck. She has connections at Lowes. She’s covered by homeowner’s if it blows up. Life is good!”

So while my manners could probably use some polishin’-up at times, my Work Ethic isn't lacking in work or ethics, and I look fit, not because I have a personal trainer, or follow some regimen popular to some beach here in the country, it’s because I have to move everyday to the beat of life. I could care less about my posture in a pasture or my grace of gate and form while I run from the neighbor’s stray bull. I just want to stay alive while I try to distract him from knockin’ up what’s on my side of the fence!

I have a home and business to run, and I go to college, and I write, and all the while I’ve raised two children and given a lot of other souls who needed TLC, which takes heart and back-bone. Though I require manners at the table, manners didn’t feed my lot. My son cut his teeth on the edge of the table waiting for meal times to roll around, which is a good indication of how big and tall I grow em’. “Children of the Corn,” Ess. It’s scary.

There’s nothing wrong with being anything you want to be, but I find it very hard to believe that any young woman wants to be immobile by the time she’s 50. If she ain’t movin’ at 20, do you think she will be by 40, 50, 60? Get real. While we could all use some help with our dietary intake and lifestyles, you gotta move it or lose it. About the only thing a woman with poor fitness will be contemplating is how she wished she’d kept herself more fit, so she wouldn’t homebound, bedridden, or on an operating table.

We can't hardly make my 87 year old Grandmama sit still, which is proof enough for me.

Karen~ I’d still put my money on you honey, before I would any of the young ones coming up. I'm sorry but the truth is: It just hasn't paid for me to rely on youth or physical size for heart and backbone. And I'd I'll go further to say that I'd trade a college grad any day for someone that has some plain old common sense.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

20 posted 2007-03-27 11:59 AM

I would like to put our big fat government on a diet and not have personal health issues legislated to me.

Now that's a fact.

I see some hope in the changing beauty standards on some of the fashion catwalks (mainly in Spain) who sent girls who looked unhealthily thin--home packing.

sigh

And let's give cultural differences a nod here too. New Orleans is no longer the fattest city in the U.S. I think we were nudged off the edge of that bus seat by Philadelphia, with their cheese steaks. (Do you know I never had one of those? But I never had a subway sandwich either until just last week.) But cultural differences are REAL. Five year olds here know how to make a roux. (Brown some flour in LARD, preferably in a black cast iron skillet, stir yourself crazy and add water, or even stock, to make the sauces.) Yum.

But anyhow, you can't dictate a personal prediliction, as we found out with The Noble Experiment of Prohibition, and we are finding out even now, as our kids raid our sheds, our kitchen and bathroom cabinets to create designer drugs much more malicious than ever dreamt of by any pharmaceutical company. Sigh.

I will not bang my head.

But breathe (see how subtle a change of habit can be?)

Hush, you are in the medical field, so you know this is so. I give you the example of my father, who after seven agonizing months of chemotherapy, went home, with a nebulizer and oxygen tank, and told me, quite seriously, that he had to "wean himself off of the oxygen", then he turned off the machine and lit a cigarette. You succeeded Dad. But hey, he did it his way, on his terms and he is allowed to do that.

But foods can and do behave as drugs. Which is why I brought that up to begin with.

I'm wondering when someone is going to ask why is it that it is the poorer class of people that have the greater prediliction toward obesity? We eat too damned much STARCH--that's why. Starchy foods are cheaper--canned goods, loaded with fructose corn syrup are less expensive than fresh vegetables, or even frozen. I agree with you about snacks at schools though, hush, and even if I wince, I might even applaud some kind of moratorium of fructose thing--shaking my head. How odd it is, that we pay farmers to make a product that makes us unhealthy, when we can utilize that product to a more environmentally friendly product of corn oil, and cars that run on that. (They have 'em--I know--ask Willie Nelson, who is, as we know, an all natural kinda  guy. *wink and laughter*)

But there is a legitimate prejudice toward the obese in this country, and I can smell a fat-hating OBGYN before he can smell me.

(grin--c'mon, I'm allowed to yank John's chain just a little, huh?

But anyway, I announced I was pronounced anemic AND overweight in another thread, so let me announce now that I do believe I have lost some weight--and I am eating more, not LESS than I was. I am still having problems with breakfast though, I confess. But I have done some nutritional investigating, and I found out that some canned goods can be my friend. Like a can of tuna. Cheap, simple, and I can handle that. Then there is the simple choice(s) of beverage. Because we live in New Orleans and don't know what the heck is seeping into our pipes and don't care how many times the government tests it and tells us it's okay, we maintain a proper mode of paranoia and keep bottled water in the fridge. I also have discovered the Arizona brand of energy drinks and teas, and I make THOSE accessible to my kids in the fridge.

And guess what has happened? Suddenly, coca cola tastes too sweet. Even for THEM. (My kids.) Strawberries are in season here too, and I notice that after I bought a flat and I keep a few baskets of them washed and cold and ready to eat, they will reach for those to snack on instead of a honeybun.

I also happen to agree with Essorant, there are some very vital, dynamic large people, and they like themselves just as they are--and um, you can find fans of large women in particular in clubs by the multitude on the internet.

Now let's talk about exercize.

I often wish this machine had to be powered by a generator--attached to that treadmill right over there that is handily storing some boxes and makes a nice place to hang my clothes until I can get to iron them. I blush. So nodding, I decided, that the treadmill thing is not going to work, and outdoor walking is out of the question (trust me on reasons why for that--bullets are unquestionably bad for me) so I decided that if I was going to do something it had to be FUN. It had to start gentle and be progressive. And it wasn't gonna be sex! (laughing my fool head off here) So...

my doctor applauded my decision to invest in a toy. A video game called Dance Revolution. Inhaling. The one I need is a little pricey and I wish I could write it off on my insurance, but it has a metal handrail because Karen is a falling hazard now. (We don't know what's going on with that but suspect a low blood pressure problem coupled with the aforementioned anemia.)

OH. And alcohol. I really wanted to mention this because I was a habitual drinker, especially at night in front of this computer--but I fell in love with jasmine green tea--with just a little honey, and yanno? It's the damnedest thing, but I don't crave my nightly cocktail as much. I drink less often, and when I do drink, I drink less quantity and tell me it's a theory, but I'm giving the green tea the credit.

Five meals a day. Eat breakfast. Add grains to your diet, and if you can, fresh fruit and vegetables. (Cheaper in season anyhow.)

Karen also has a trampoline out back. (I'm not ready for that yet, but the day I am? It's gonna be funny, and I'd youtube it but the kids have threatened to retaliate by youtubing ALL of my graceless moments.)

But trust that will be a funny day. Karen The Falling Hazard goes *boing*.

And just for the sake of spiritual health, might I suggest that we be kinder to people--both thin and fat.

When we make judgements on appearances, we are more apt to err, and in both cases, the feelings of isolation from others, along with well intentioned advice, unsolicited, compounds control issues that exacerbate eating disorders.

Now. Let me go take some of my own advice. I am also battling depression too and trying to do that naturally and getting dressed is like, right on the top of the list. Y'see, I'm trying to learn how to produce reactions of dopamine in my brain, naturally. But that's another thread.

ta for now!

and Hush? It's always good to see you.

and I will close with this:

FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

21 posted 2007-03-27 12:02 PM

I just had to come back to hug Regina.

Totally off topic, but I love that name. I had a best friend who was named Regina, and even though she was a man, she was soooooooooo beautiful and a joy to be around. Just full of compassion and spirit, yanno?

But okay, I'm going. Just a quick hug, a bit of warmth and humanity folks.

No biggie.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
22 posted 2007-03-27 12:55 PM

"Unless a woman has the freedom that wealth provides or a hard-bodied slave Man stuffed somewhere in a closet waiting on her beck and call, (I don’t believe in Genies) she’ll have to work."

Maybe so.  But I never said or suggested in my example someone that doesn't get around or do any work.  But someone that doesn't want or need to be vigorous or agressive, or almost always very busy.   Maybe you want or need to be a "busybody", but someone else may be just as content, if not more content and healthy, living a life and still doing work, at a much gentler and leisurelier pace, with time for tea every day to boot.  

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
23 posted 2007-03-27 01:46 PM

Nothing wrong with that either Ess. No matter, there will come a time she’ll have to run or exert some energy above and beyond the call of her leisure activities. If she can’t manage to do that, I feel she’ll be very unhappy with the outcome. She’ll have no one to blame but herself. Her happy and content world might crumble. But we can’t always shift the tasks at hand off onto someone else, and we don’t always get to pick and choose what chooses us. Overcoming the obstacles life offers sometimes requires a person to put it high gear, and yes, shift back to a lower more feasible one to keep from wearing out. It’s just a shame that a class of young people gets worn out before I do with my track record. It is a real health issue and not just some convoluted myth. At their rate, they better hope life proves to be easy street with the finest fountain-of-youth-tea the world has to offer, or they might not make it.
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
24 posted 2007-03-27 01:57 PM

Oh yeah,

back at ya, Karen.

big lovins.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
25 posted 2007-03-27 03:29 PM

"No matter, there will come a time she’ll have to run or exert some energy above and beyond the call of her leisure activities. "

I agree.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (03-27-2007 04:10 PM).]

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
26 posted 2007-03-27 05:15 PM

I'm back, good to be eye to eye on some things, Ess.

I just want to clarify something, now that I've worked my tail off in 82 degree weather, Is it March? or July? I'm burning up and you know what?

I'm ready for my tea, now.

Good, cold Louisiana style sweet tea, thank you, please.

I may get up at 4am, but I'm done by 5pm. I really do know how to do leisure. I'm gonna lay like a big lizard on a rock! And if my neighbor doesn't keep his bull off my property I'm gonna do BBQ too.

Nah, I'll try to mind my manners and keep a cool head 'bout myself, maybe.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
27 posted 2007-03-29 04:32 AM

Karen- I was trying to make the point about food acring like drugs. Look, fatty, sweet, conveneince foods (and the McDonald's dollar menu) are not your friends! You and I both know this... so, basically, my point is- if the government legislates drugs, and tobacco, and alcohol- why not fast food? And if we have a problem with fast food being regulated, shouldn't we have a problem with those other products being regulated?

Ess-

'Maybe you want or need to be a "busybody", but someone else may be just as content, if not more content and healthy, living a life and still doing work, at a much gentler and leisurelier pace, with time for tea every day to boot.'

Um... lol. Do you actually function in the real world?

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
28 posted 2007-03-29 08:10 AM

The Gov. can regulate MickeyD’s, but they can follow another grease trail back to many of the homes here in the south. So I can’t blame it all on fast food. We pride ourselves on our cooking and we put it out. Serving platters that are heaped with potatoes, breads, meats, eggs, and vegetables that are cooked in fatback, smoked hocks and bacon fat. Deep fried Crisco by the pound, butter by the stick, gravy by the boat, etc.

People look at you cock-eyed when you substitute olive oil, canola, and chicken broth for a more healthy preparation. If cornbread ain’t on the table for every meal, and you set wild rice in front of them or no bread? Holy mother of manna! Where’s my grease-bread? What’s this fancy crap? Can’t we afford any bread?

Chicken and dumplings can put a Big Mac to shame on fat content.

The little girls next door to me are 9 & 7. They wear medium and small adult women sizes. The doc said they have to go on a diet because their hearts are being stressed by their weight. They rarely eat out. A lot of it is genetics, the rest? I don’t know because I don’t ask. I just aggravate them every chance I get because they are talkers and they like to tell me funny stories.

Here’s what I notice in my neck of the woods:

I live on a nice paved road, very little traffic, lots of kids up and down the curvy stretch, and everyone has a great big yard.

I’ve never seen a kid on a bicycle, but I have seen the go-carts and golf carts.
A badminton or volleyball net.
A kickball, dodge ball, or soccer session going on.
A neighborhood basketball, football, softball or baseball game.
Frisby?
Foot races?
A kid with a jump rope?
Slipnslide?
Hopscotch?
And the really eerie thing? The swimming pools stay as smooth as glass, and the trampolines are as still as unbeaten drums, unless it rains.

Occasionally, the swing sets get a swing.

Raking? mowing? walking the dog? Nope. They’ve got leaf blowers, riding mowers, or fenced in yards. Very few even walk to the bus stop. Their parents drive them, 2 blocks.

If they’re not in organized sports at school or in the community, and they’re not taking advantage of decent weather, what are they doing?

I’ve not once had to replace any windows, any flowers, or retrieve any play things from my roof or bushes.

You’d think this was a retirement community.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

29 posted 2007-03-29 09:24 AM

Well hush, I do have a problem with many of those other drugs being regulated. Foregoing any ideas of Utopia?

It just doesn't work. (But I do believe we tried that thread before, and even talking about that is a major headache.)

And sigh. And I don't WANT them to take away my right to stop for a quick burger.

(Um, I've been cooking since I was five--I'm tired of it.) But in public schools, a different story entirely. They should offer healthy menus for breakfast, lunch, and afterschool care snacks. But the responsibility does start at home. As so many of you know, we have had our share of health problems in my family. My kids are into martial arts. So....grin, I think you should picture this:

My son, standing next to my husband in the kitchen, watching him SHOVEL ice cream into a bowl and stuffing chocolate chip cookies into it, and then pouring chocolate syrup all over it, shaking his head and saying: "You are killing yourself."

We are a little more aware now, even in the burbs of New Orleans. And I'm finding my discipline being tested with out new spanish population as well.

I don't believe I ever tasted real Mexican food before. (Taco Bell is not the same, folks.)

What got me yesterday was the arrival of my VEGEMITE!

Now here's a feast--Louisiana strawberries, vegemite and wheat crackers, oranges and Beck's beer.

Nod.

My feet are swollen today. (VEGEMITE is wonderful but that pesky sodium---tsk..I really need to develop some self control. But it does entice me to eat breakfast, 'cause um, the stuff is great on Wheat Bagels too. )

But some food companies are finding that offering the healthy alternatives are also helping with their profit margin.

Subway, Mickey D's too!

And I'm nodding, being in health care you would be a little more passionate about this than the average person who is merely concerned with appearances and not the health issues. But if you google obesity and bias or prejudice, you will find blogs and support groups listed there, and many complain of mistreatment by the medical profession! Smile--it wasn't funny to her, but I found one story where a woman, nearing 300 lbs. went to a General Practitioner for an ear infection. She didn't come out with an Rx for antibiotics but a diet. Mind, I am not saying that YOU do this, but it is done. Alot.

And I have been all sizes too, so I also know how a stranger will be rude to you if they find you unattractive. Experiments done with realistic "fat suits" prove the point.

Imagine what happens to psychology of someone who goes through life, hearing snickers, comments, at best the quick look and eye aversion. And people who struggle to lose weight will also tell you they find their naughty self medicating foods more reliable than people to feel good. And that is just SAD.

and Reg, yep, I believe I addressed your point of culture with my recipe for roux.

I mean, I recently saw a famous southern chain offering a new delicacy--deep fried macaroni and cheese!

For that one? I'll bang my head.

Now excuse me while I go put the FIVE POUND tub of vegemite out of sight, and go back to my berries and water and tea regime.

Today "why Karen swells" is no mystery!

Ta for now.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
30 posted 2007-03-29 05:38 PM

Deep fried mac & cheese.... mmmm.

Don't get me wrong- I'm no health nut. I struggle with my weight- at least to the degree that many American women do, in thinking I weigh too much while others tell me I look fine. But I ahve impulse control issues, especially with food... McDonalds, ice cream, chocolate, a latte and scone, hot dogs on the grill... I was brought up on bologna sandwiches and egg noodle soaked in butter- and never denied seconds (thanks, grandma). So yes, it does start at home... it took me a long time to realize that yes, one sandwich is sufficient... and if you're still hungry- eat some baby carrots. (And just because I realize this doesn't mean I even come close to always heeding that advice.)

I do agree that there is a bias against obese people, or people who are just generally considered unattractive. But to me, if a morbidly obese person goes to the doctor- the doctor would be remiss in not prescribing a diet. Of course, any other health issues should be addressed too- but I hear heavy people complaining, for example, of back and knee problems. Is it wrong to encourage weight loss, which is often the cause of the problem, as a lasting cure (and a healthier lifestyle overall)? Or should the patient undergo surgery without first attempting other alternatives? People have to take some responsibility for their actions, and not just blame it on a prejudice... and I've seen this in other situations... one favorite drug-seeking patient I had was arguing with me that she wanted a shot of a narcotic drug (which was ordered in pill form) because she "couldn't swallow." Now, she had swallowed her antibiotic pill, which was much larger, about 20 minutes before. When I explained that I can't alter the route a doctor prescribes a medication, I was informed "You would give me my medicine if I was white."

No- I would give you your medicine if it was ordered that way, but it's not, because you are displaying every drug seeking behavior there is.

It's not the same, I realize that- I'm not calling overwieght people drug seekers. But my point is... don't blame a medical professional's behavior on your particular "difference" (of race, gender, weight, etc.) unless you really have proof. Maybe the woman with the ear infection didn't have an infection, but more of an inflammation (I had that situation before, and I was in agony), or perhaps it was a viral condition that couldn't be treated with antibiotics. Just a few thoughts.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
31 posted 2007-05-16 06:23 PM

I'm bumping this because I believe this is a crucially important thread and have just started a thread about rhe flip side of this extreme: anorexia nervosa, which is also a greater problem than ever (including with me) and I think it would be most beneficial discussing and suggesting what may explain the rise of these two polar extremes in eating and lifestyle, as I don't believe there's any single, simple answer for either.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
32 posted 2007-05-16 09:11 PM

quote:
I think it would be most beneficial discussing and suggesting what may explain the rise of these two polar extremes in eating and lifestyle, as I don't believe there's any single, simple answer for either.

Stress...

Head Cheese & Chicken Feet

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
33 posted 2007-05-16 10:31 PM

According to the scientists the fact remains
that we are for the first time in a long time
looking at a generation of children who are not
expected to live as long as their parents and it
can’t be blamed on smoking,

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
34 posted 2007-05-17 12:47 PM

Scientist says that If there is an epidemic, then there must be a common cause.

What is the cause or causes?

I. Childhood Obesity
http://www.obesity.org/subs/childhood/causes.shtml

All other information http://www.obesity.org/

Pip could just be one of the cause, I love it though.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
35 posted 2007-05-17 02:13 AM

I think the cases certainly vary, but often there is also a psychological make-up to eating disorders as well I believe, where some childhood trauma or something along those lines sets off a spiking horse of sorts where the individial uses food as an emotional pacifier or proverbial tourniquet to ease the heartache of that experience.

I've known several close to me who have struggled with obesity, and actually had psychoanalysis performed on them which revealed quite a lot to them that helped motivate the individuals to conquer the trauma and seek resolve through a clean start, with newly found balance.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
36 posted 2007-05-17 09:21 PM

Stress is definitely a huge factor in my eating patterns.

Heartache= no appetite. I can drop 20+ lbs. in a month. It's not pretty.

Anxiety or frustration= Give me the chocolate factory, and a truckload of Lays to offset the sweet with the salty. Pick up 20 lbs. though it takes a while to catch up, honestly, I don't feel good on all that sugar and grease. I crave it, madly, then suffer headaches and fatigue.

not to mention how it affects my mojo.

It's hard to have a healthy dietary plan without going overboard in any direction.

Food...is just so available, and exercise is either a part of your life or it's not.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
37 posted 2007-05-17 09:42 PM

Does that we can understand why somehow absolve
even when the consequence is harm?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
38 posted 2007-05-18 12:34 PM

Would there be a problem if people ate vegetables excessively, instead of burgers, choclate bars, potato chips, etc?  

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
39 posted 2007-05-18 01:33 PM

Big fat cow eats grass.

It is "personal choice". Fat or not fat, one has available ways to stay healthy.
Dose one want to be healthy?
Do the parents want health for their children?

Do I want to take the 2 hours more for exercise while leaving PIP alone? no! no! no! I shall stay fat and die of anything but not live without "fun"(PiP, TV, Food, more Food or just being lazy,
and selfpity). call me anything.

and I will not sacrifice good food in parties for my health. Death? who cares!!! before I die, I do not need to know. After I die, again  I do not need to know.....donno

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
40 posted 2007-05-18 01:48 PM

There's too much of an industry in fat. Restaurants (mostly fast food) can rake it in by making "tasty" and ultra fatty foods. Then "they" can make these diet plans that cost an arm and a leg to not work. And if the diet does work, most people will go back to eating the fatty foods, re-gaining the weight. It's all about money. Our stomachs are being exploited.

I think I'll just stick to cereal. And old McDonalds can stick it up their E-I-E-I-O.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
41 posted 2007-05-18 03:39 PM

I think too much or too little of anything is a blessing and a curse.

I, for one, always love to do my monthly grocery shopping at secondary Chinese grocers, and I have an obsession with kimchi (fermented and spiced Korean vegetables). Whereas normally each jar of a single brand and variety could cost as much as $10 at a primary grocer like Safeway or Albertson's, at Anzen Hiroshi's grocery across the boulevard from the convention center in Portland, you can choose out of a half a dozen different varieties for $3.50 each; white cabbage, radish, green onion, ginger, etc. One time I visited the Uwajimaya market in Beaverton here and I saw a shittake mushroom kimchi.

Kimchi is a Korean delicacy that's renowned worldwide for its high values of calcium and iron, vitamins A and C, niacin and dietary fiber, yet also incredibly low in calories (most kimche jars have 12-16 servings, with each serving size worth as few as 9 calories per serving). So kimchi to me is like pizza or apple pie to others, where I consume so much of this food that was rated by Health Magazine as one of the world's five healthiest foods, yet despite getting all the great vitamins from it and lactic acid contents, I'm also not getting many calories from it, thus even if I eat five jars of it a day (which I don't do) I'm not gaining weight in the process.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
42 posted 2007-05-18 03:40 PM

If God and Nature were kind they would allow for us to eat as much tastey food as we want without ever getting unhealthy.  In fact, if the universe worked right, we should get healthier every time we eat more choclate  

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
43 posted 2007-05-18 04:21 PM

Noah, I heard Kimchi also helps with Bird Flu. Is that true? I hear fish has all the right kinds of fats and so do nuts. Besides cereal, I could live entirely off salmon. I love Japanese cuisine too. Gimme some yakitori and gyoza with a rice bowl and I'll be happy.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
44 posted 2007-05-18 04:28 PM

The Kimchi Field Museum in Seoul at least claims some studies have shown that kimchi consumption has fought back successfully more or less at the H5N1 strain of avian flu. I don't know if anything is made official yet, but it's nonetheless an encouraging sign.

Yeah, I went shopping at Wild Oats yesterday and I got some tamari-glazed walnuts and crown hazelnuts along with my usual array of produce, hemp milk and yerba mate to get some calories in my pockets. I think nuts and trail mix are the best way to get calories quickly in your system without raising your cholesterol tenfold, and so that's the new strategy I'm taking in fighting my anorexia; keeping a sandwich-baggy sized amount of nuts in my back pocket whenever I'm on the go, so I can both get my calories without getting greedy on serving sizes.

Also, I usually eat foods raw, but I decided to start cooking stir-fries with a healthier cooking oil; red palm oil, where I should get more essential fats out of that.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
45 posted 2007-05-18 04:41 PM

Mistletoe Angel,

vege is best when fresh.

Kimchi..saltd and fermented Bok choy. When you  buy it, you have no idea how long it has been in the jar.

Google "Kimchi and Cancer". Different results in different research. But pay attention if you eat a lot.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
46 posted 2007-05-18 09:02 PM

So somehow we are all victims of the food industry
which compels us personally to make choices . . .

And of course the stress was much less
in past times . . .

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
47 posted 2007-05-18 09:59 PM

Man/woman does not need to learn how to complain around.
1.genes..parents' fault
2.histories...other people's fault
3.Food...industry's fault
4.stress...time's fault.
5.Depress...hormone's fault
6.health..doctor's fault
7.drugs...scientist's fault
8 death...God's fault.
9. Low EQ...poet's fault
10.suffering...the fault of all above on me.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
48 posted 2007-05-19 12:06 PM

"In fact, if the universe worked right, we should get healthier every time we eat more chocolate"

Oh how I wish As long as I've "Got Milk" for the rest of my life to accompany my choco diet.

My momma pushed milk like it was the precious nectar of life, and spinach, liver and cod liver oil! UUGH! Still love the milk and spinach but No Way on the liver/oil.

there's always something...

Ovaltine, Life Cereal, Malt O Meal, prunes!

sure, it's all edible, but I think each of us has something we consume that's "forbidden," or we leave out something that causes us to have a deficiency.

my daughter loves oranges and tomatoes and breaks out in a rash all around her mouth from the acid. She'll still eat them despite the price.  

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
49 posted 2007-05-19 03:36 AM

I have noticed conflicting reports on kimchi and whether it reduces or increases the risk of gastric cancer. This is one rare instance where it's a risk I'm willing to take, as I don't eat it like a side dish every single day like Koreans do anyway.

You're absolutely right, also, in that it's rare you'll ever find an expiration date on kimchee containers. However, I'm not overly concerned about that because it is both refrigerated and fermented, and also it is said the longer the contents remain shelved after being cooked, the spicier the cabbage becomes. No single kimchi container has ever sat in my refrigerator for more than two weeks as it is.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
50 posted 2007-05-25 09:01 AM

See that up there..that is why I adore Karen..

I wanna dance with you Karen! and send me a list of every thing you are doing diet/movement wise??? please?  you have no clue far I have to go to get back to me..and it isn't about weight so much as it's about strength.  

Prayers get answered is very strange ways..

As for John...I have been reading your threads for awhile and I find myself time and time again refraining from commenting because the only comment I find myself wanting to leave is a plea for clarification...I personally think you are vague intentionally..and it drives me insane..but I suppose that is a me issue.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
51 posted 2007-05-25 09:18 AM

Alright, so I failed to notice the other two pages of responses before I posted...meh..

On the issues of how doctors treat you when you are overweight...

My sister went to the doc for a check on her epilepsy..new doc and all...and she was told, by the doc, she would have less maybe no seizures if she lost weight...

The best part?  She was a thin woman until she was put on Depakote (sp?) for her epilepsy..

Mood stabilizers and other drugs used for bi-polar, ADHD, Childhood arthritis, and epilepsy can, and most often do, have the side effect of weight gain.  More people (esp. children) are taking these kind of drugs then they did a few decades ago...

Maybe not the total picture, but certainly could be a part.  At least I think so.

~Unknown~

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
52 posted 2007-05-25 08:51 PM

According to science man has not changed
biologically for some 100,000 years.  It is
only recently that he has on mass started breaking
chairs his even well off ancestors sat comfortably in
merely by sitting down.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
53 posted 2007-05-26 01:07 AM

Huan Yi
"According to science man has not changed
biologically for some 100,000 years"

You are right that we have not got our second head yet like somewhere the snakes showed. But it so frequently happens that single gene is added on or lost or depressed or over-expressed...due to anything including man-made disaster like A-bomb...don't presume biological change, such as that, if I was a Buddhist, when I became a pig next turn, I would be out off possibility of Obesity.

[This message has been edited by Drauntz (05-26-2007 04:57 PM).]

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
54 posted 2007-05-26 11:02 AM

John,

I realize this is your thread and all, but seriously if myself or anyone else doesn't follow what you are saying how can we respond??  I know you are smart John..

please explain your response to my response, in simple Susan language please?

~Unknown~

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
55 posted 2007-05-26 01:19 PM

John has a tendency to be overly obscure with his replies.

He's just saying that humans are getting progressively fatter. And that we are now breaking chairs by being too heavy when our ancestors did not. This is a reference to what he said earlier about cruise ships making their seats stronger.

“Suddenly a giant Cabbage Patch Doll jumps out from behind the shower curtain and grabs him violently.”

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
56 posted 2007-05-27 09:58 PM

Chairs used to be made out of solid wood now they are made of  all Man-made  materials.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
57 posted 2007-06-12 09:25 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281332,00.html

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
58 posted 2007-06-12 11:41 PM

Thank you Sir Huan Yi for the information and the link.

the overweight of Children, the term to use

1. as for the kid... Physical activity will be influenced if two heavy... means lossing lots of fun and get teased by other kids. so it does not matter what term and whoever uses. they can not change the situation.

2. as for the parents...they want to hear that their children are normal even they are not. They wish that their children were normal out of love. for their sensitivity? Parents shall be taught the possible consequence of overweight. which term? they can understand all.

3. as for the doctors.... they can say anything to please their patients as long as they do not ignore the symptoms and give out good warning and proper treatment. They could call Aids virus a love-bug , a cancer a dancing spider.

4. As for CDC and AMA,  shall really seriously define each term based on all research data and a clear explanation. The case of ADD/ADHd has hurt many innocent children.

my thought

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
59 posted 2007-07-16 05:23 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289488,00.html

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
60 posted 2007-07-16 06:04 PM

cage and starve them.

Human...has no morality at all, is in rugent need to be pecked on.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Obesity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary