navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I wonder
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic I wonder Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee

0 posted 2007-03-13 09:05 AM

HILL: I'M THE JFK OF 2008

Would Hill have compared herself in any way to JFK if Jacqueline were still alive?

Why? Or Why Not?

© Copyright 2007 Regina Wood - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2007-03-13 11:39 AM

Jacqueline who?

Just kidding. I know who you mean. I just don't, for the life of me, know what she has to do with the price of tea in China?

In some ways, perhaps, the comparison is not entirely inappropriate. Kennedy's religion was a real issue in 1960. No one wanted the Pope to rule American by proxy after all. I'm not entirely sure that's quite the same as gender or color, however, especially in an era when no one dares mention gender or color. Have you really heard any political opponent even hint that Clinton shouldn't be President because she's a woman? Or Obama because he's black?

I'm not sure we were any more prejudiced forty-seven years ago than we are today, but I am sure we were much less adept at hiding it. Kennedy's battle, I think, was of a different timbre.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2007-03-13 01:12 PM

Guess we need a republican Lloyd Bentzen screaming out, "You are no Jack Kennedy!"

No, Ron, you won't hear any political opponent claiming gender or race as an issue....that's why Hillary is doing it. She needs to convince the public that the opposition to her is based on her being a woman, as opposed to the hundreds of actual reasons. No different than OJ supporters claiming that he was only picked on because he was black. She will continue that line for as long as possible, doing her best to make voters feel that is the real issue.

The only similarity she has with JFK is the wardrobe

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2007-03-13 01:29 PM

Both Ron and Balladeer are right here, and I'll add this.

Both political establishments tend to have a presidential patron saint which they flock around. For the GOP, it's Ronald Reagan in particular, while with the Democrats, it's John F. Kennedy (although Bill Clinton is widely influential among them as well).

And so this campaign tactic I think is, like Balladeer said, a distraction mechanism, both in that the candidates that do this attempt to make one's unelectability about something else on the basis of gender or race especially, and in claiming loyalty to the most popular faces of the party as an excuse to distract from the issues that differentiate one from the patron saints of the party.

This is exactly what Hillary Clinton is doing, and it's also what John McCain in particular is doing on the other side of the aisle, invoking Ronald Reagan often in an attempt for conservatives that currently feel alienated by him and his positions they consider out-of-step with their beliefs to re-consider and re-evaluate McCain, as well as to distract from his own sort of inconsistencies.

It's quite a superficial tactic I believe and epitomizes why I feel neither candidate deserves my vote.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2007-03-13 02:53 PM

I agree, Noah, with the exception of your first line. It was Bill Clinton that did the flocking around
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2007-03-13 03:45 PM

quote:
I agree, Noah, with the exception of your first line.

You mean where he said you and I were right?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2007-03-13 04:05 PM

LOL....no, I just took that as a misprint
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
7 posted 2007-03-13 05:38 PM

Oh, I know it’s a tactic. You guys can’t be fooled!

But something tells me that if Jacqueline were alive, she’d not be using JFK. Pardon me for saying this, but it’s a woman thang. And since her gender IS what she’s using as the gas for her drive, the fire for her pit, the cause for her course, whatevah! Then that’s the question I’d ask her if given the chance. “Would You use JFK if Jackie was still alive?” If she answers yes, then she’s more trite and tasteless than I thought. If she answers no, then she has a heart somewhere, it’s just absent when the person is. My personal opinion, of course, and hopefully most people have learned to ignore me.

Believe it or not, sometime around 1991, a friend and I were having lunch together and she brought up the subject of Hillary. My friend was also a lawyer from Arkansas and had some personal dealings with her. For whatever reason, we discussed the possibilities of Hillary running for President. “Why not?” I asked. My friend wasn’t all that encouraging. She didn’t really go into anything; she just thought that Hill was not presidential material. I said, “Well any woman would face that generality.” She said, “She’s not just any woman.” In short, I lost the debate, of course, and just to change the subject I posed this question:

If there was any woman in the world you could talk to about life, you know, just great conversation, past or present, who would it be? She said, “Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.”

After all these years, I’ve remembered our chat, and that’s probably what led me to think of them in the same sentence. I’ve since learned why my friend felt the way she did about Hillary.

Jacqueline Kennedy and Hillary Clinton share the First Lady Experience, as well as the troubles of adulterous husbands. But I don’t think two women could be any different. They may have been friends? I don’t know.

If my friend and I prove to be more prophetic than we wanted to be, this is a real question:

If Hillary Clinton wins, what will Bill Clinton be addressed as?

First Gentleman and Former Impeached President?

My daughter and I are hashing out Hillary’s theme song:

Enjoli’s perfume jingle: “Because I’m a Woman!”

or

Heart: “Barracuda.”

Hey, I picked Enjoli.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2007-03-13 06:36 PM

I've been trying to figure out why Oprah isn't running.  I guess she doesn't want the demotion.  
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
9 posted 2007-03-13 06:52 PM

She's busy with her production of "The Color Purple" on Broadway.

Martha is recouping her Cuisinart campaign.

Now Ellen might be up for grabs? I think she's back from her spiritual hiatus?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2007-03-14 02:04 PM

Bill's title? Well, "non-speaker of the house" comes to mind. I'm sure someone will come up with an appropriate moniker.  

Hillary's theme song? That's an easy one..

HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON
(to the tune of Pinball Wizard)

Ever since I was a young girl
I loved to study law
Put up with things distasteful
Like Bill and Arkansas.
You ain't seen nothing like me
Walk down this hallowed hall.
I'm Hillary Rodham Clinton
And I'm having me a ball.

I love to beat the Bushes
I love to toss out Rice
Rid Congress of all doubters
Who think that I'm not nice.
First Lady to First Prezzy
I'm gonna bounce them all.

I love to play,
I've got a bag of tricks
Like Hail To The Chief
Sung by the Dixie Chicks!

Don't ever try to cross me
Or I'll take care of you.
No man alive can boss me..
That goes for women, too.
Hey, Boxer and Pelosi!
Let's head down to the mall!!

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

11 posted 2007-03-14 08:31 PM

That's hilarious Mike! Love it!

You know, I saw her on T.V. last night saying that she was going to make the 'Vast Right Wing Conspiracy' illegal. What does that mean? She's one scary person if you ask me.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
12 posted 2007-03-15 07:01 AM

Laugh.

"Non-speaker of the House."

You know, I read somewhere, can't find it, that Bill flew to meet with some guy to convince him that Hill was the best person for the job of President. His comment went something very close to this:

"Hillary is definitely the one you should pick, because I've been President, so I would know."

APPLAUSE on the theme song! Fabulous dahling.

"she was going to make the 'Vast Right Wing Conspiracy' illegal. What does that mean?"

Well, it depends on how one takes that, where a person comes from and how politically abreast they are.

I've listed some possible scale answers, based upon the average person's interest and awareness.

0 = having no interest, not aware and don't care, to 10 being most interested and actively involved with the matter.

0-1.
It could mean the outlaw of all right wings in a bucket of KFC.

2-3
Everyone in the right wing of the White House is evil and they will all go to prison.

4-5
Everyone in the left wing of the White House will end up ruling the universe.

6-7
All conservatives in the U.S. are a part of a secret flying society and they will no longer be able to assemble without taking a bus.

8-9
Everyone in Washington proving to be a Republican will have to wear a big red letter R sewn onto the front of their jackets, until they plead guilty to jamming all the telephone lines on election day.

Anyone younger, prettier, more likable, and more interested in having "relations" with Bill than Hill, will be outlawed from internship at the White House as long as Hill is in office.

[This message has been edited by rwood (03-15-2007 08:08 AM).]

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
13 posted 2007-03-15 07:14 PM

Reg~
I 'updated' this one from the archives for you~

A Hard Dog To Keep On The Porch
~Marge Tindal~

In these days approaching the elections
the world is all in a fog.
The world is fast a'changing,
seems the days are going back to the dogs.

It's a dog eat dog world and the reasons are clear.
If Bill continues to chase tail, he'll only get bitten in the rear.

Turn your growl into something with more bite.
Chomp down on the hand that feeds you and then you'll get it right.

"Bill is a hard dog to keep on the porch." , Hillary said.
By electing her, you give him another chance to get an intern in his bed !

That's the way it seems, your dog is one big louse.
Shorten the chain on that critter, before you lead him back to the White House.

Perhaps he would have been cuter...
if he'd have come with a certificate to neuter !

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -               noles1@totcon.com   

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
14 posted 2007-03-15 11:23 PM

Hey, great parodies, LOL!

I should try to brainstorm one for John McCain. I know a lot of great rhymes I could use already, but am trying to think of the best original song to parody.

One possibility I had in mind was parodying TLC's "Girl Talk" and changing it to "Straight Talk?".

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I wonder

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary