navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Wendy’s
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wendy’s Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-02-23 09:33 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254238,00.html

"Wendy's Restaurants to Close Original Location in Columbus, Ohio Due to Financial Woes”

So long as what he made is feeding people, (while making
others rich), they should keep the site open.

John

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2007-02-23 10:45 PM

They closed a Popeye's near my home. It's now a Mexican Restaurant.

Our traditional snowball stands are being rapidly replaced with taco stands too.

Hmm.

Y'think that perhaps it's a reflection on changing demographics and underlying economic trend?

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2007-02-23 10:50 PM

Thomas created a company by which
many are fed and prosper and for that
he deserves the respect of his original
site being kept open.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2007-02-24 01:05 AM

So make them an offer, John. When you own it, you get to call the shots.

We now know what it's not worth to them. How much is it worth to you?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2007-02-24 10:13 AM

Oh, it's probably worth an enigmatic quip.  Maybe twain.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
5 posted 2007-02-24 01:05 PM

"Wendy's operates about 6,600 restaurants in the United States and abroad."

Why don't some of the other Wendy's sites pitch in some money to keep it open?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2007-02-24 05:38 PM

obviously it's losing money. There is little altruism in restaurant chains. Each link pulls it's own weight. That's business..
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2007-02-24 06:56 PM

I agree with Balladeer that altruism in chains is few and far between.

In the early stages of a restaurant or any particular business's evolution from a local hit to an expansion experiment, indeed there is some feeling that those you work with are like family to you and there's some feeling of community.

That's what it's like with Burgerville here in the Pacific Northwest, which has been a successful business for 46 years in Oregon and Washington, and has no intention to expand outside those two states. And I actually hope that stays that way because Burgerville receives great acclaim for supporting local and regional agriculture; getting their onions from organic farms in Walla Walla, Washington, purchasing their eggs from Stiebrs Farms in Yelm, Washington (they became the first fast-food chain to implement a cage-free egg policy recently), buying their free-range beef from Oregon Country Beef and free-range turkey meat from Diestel Family Turkey Ranch in Sonora, California, and their cheese comes from community farms in Tillamook, Oregon.

Once you expand well beyond 39 locations and into other states, the profit mantra seems to overwhelm all else, and suatainability and community are words that don't mean like they used to. Basically when it comes to expansion, the central nervous system of the chain would consult regional franchisers in other states to suggest interest in opening other restaurants in their region, agree to some contract, and then open them up. Franchisers behave and think differently from one another in every region, and in the process community disintegrates and competition becomes the key word.

Something like Burgerville is very unique in that they market even now by sustainability, and I hope it doesn't change.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2007-02-25 05:39 AM

This has been bugging me for a couple of days now, and I wasn't going to say anything, but then I wondered when I started worrying about if my opinions were going to bother someone, and since I've come to the conclusion that I have toned my opinionations down considerably, I also started wondering if that is a good thing or a bad thing. (this is why Karen needs an editor--and um, Kari? It is also why I prefer to use an OUTLINE. *wink*)

I suppose the answer would depend on if you agree with me or not.

But seriously, John, do you really have such a fondness and historical respect for the preservation of an original fast food joint? (That's a serious question, because frankly, I find you hard to figure out at times, but that's okay too.)

But after two days of thinking on this, I'm wondering why?

I mean, I hate to bring up New Orleans--again--and in my own defense, I believe others have brought it up more often than I--but don't you think that the preservation of an entire city should over-ride the concerns of one restaurant? Entire neighborhoods are still struggling, and frankly, it didn't take 24 hours to hear the debates on whether or not it was financially feasible for our country--yes, our country, to take expedient action to preserve a unique culture, as well as the remaining questions of where to house so much of our population that remains homeless?

I apologize for taking so long to bring this up--it's still painful for me, but I am wondering where and if lines of comparison should be drawn between the two issues.

Is there a Mighty Muffler guy in the Smithsonian? Perhaps Wendy's could be moved there too. I doubt New Orleans would fit. (We don't seem to fit in anywhere.)

And forgive me for bringing the poor relation to the table yet again. But I like to think that we (New Orleans) have been feeding people a long time too, as well as other little contributions to society such as, um, the only original musical genre to be birthed in the United States. (Um, that would be jazz.)

John, I would so love to offer up am olive branch, but I am never quite sure if you are serious, and if I suspect you might be, I am usually confused as to your stance.

But regarding my earlier statement about taco stands replacing snowball stands--I meant no harm and actually have no opinion as to whether or not the Spanish/Mexican cultural influence will ever level out here in New Orleans.

I think we are a gumbo, and New Orleans is still a vibrant, living example of that "melting pot" that our forefathers had dreamed as of as a possibility. And just for sake of my newly regained sanity, I'd like to believe that there is a solution of compromise that will satisfy our historical values, economic necessity and progress.

Wendy's just doesn't happen to be at the top of my list just now.

I'm more concerned that the historic streetcar line down St. Charles Avenue be refurbished totally (we're halfway there) and yes, I would like to see accomodations made for our 9th Ward people to come back home, and for the sake of one city's future, more intelligent and responsible leadership elected to entrust that goal of my very hopeful (and perhaps naive) ideal of compromise.

You are worried about the original Wendy's.

I am worred that The Camelia Grill, which happens to be located at the end of the aforementioned streetcar line, also be preserved.

I'm sighing (but not crying) because I would also like to see more businesses in New Orleans that are not hospitality oriented. Before the storm, New Orleans boasted ONE Fortune 500 company, and that was Entergy.

They (The New Orleans branch of Entergy) went bankrupt last year. And I don't believe this is horribly off topic--I do think it is just horribly wrong that such comparisons would come into play.

And yes, New Orleans is considered my many to be a parasite of a welfare state--but as I was channel surfing last week, I sighed as I saw images of boarded homes, located in abandoned neighborhoods. Then I turned up the sound, and realized I wasn't looking at New Orleans at all--the pictures were from Flint, Michigan.

Ron said in another thread that "pain is pervasive." So is poverty, apparently, and I think, even if the government doesn't give a rat's ass bout New Orleans, I suggest that poverty, employment, medical care needs to become our nation's major concern. We won't need to worry about being taken over by other countries if simply allow ourselves to implode.

and yeah, I'm all over the place, but it is very much like a matrix, and subtle connections are becoming more and more obvious. So perhaps you are right John. When I think of the name Wendy--I don't think hamburgers--I think of Peter Pan.

It is time to grow up--and part of that is learning to prioritize.

I hope this made sense to you, and I sincerely hope the point I tried to make was done so without a slant of sarcasm, or taken as a personal "dig" at you.

It's just something I've been thinking about, and sometimes I think about things a long, long time--and quite often the thought won't stop until I say something.

So no offense intended. I think Wendy's would look cool in the Smithsonian.

I think a facsimile of facade of one of our nation's cities, on the other hand, would be a horrible statement on our country, and would be an embarrassing, and well deserved admonishment regarding a time in our country's history that apparently, most would rather forget.

*peace*

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2007-02-25 09:45 PM

Ah Karen. Speaking of sanity... and suddenly you become Exhibit A! And believe me when i say that I am genuinely moved by your well expressed concern and that I wish were as well funded as Iraq.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2007-02-27 10:13 PM

I think he was, as he presented himself,
a man named Dave; not quite the President,
yet, given that so many prosper because of him, deserving of respect.

John

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2007-02-27 11:01 PM

Well, John.

If Archie Bunker's chair is in there, what's wrong with Wendy's?

In fact, they might do better business there.

(I'm sorry--I actually thought it was pretty good idea.)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2007-02-28 07:47 AM

Well, John, if Dave himself knew before he died that the original store wasn't up to par and making money, why didn't he step in to pump more $$ into what he most likely concurred would be a losing proposition?

I have a feeling that the story glossed over the possible fact that the area that the first Wendy's is located in has changed demographically, not to mention more choices of various restaurant venues in other areas of that particular location.

But since the report states that Dave was aware, and he didn't bother to fix it, himself, then I really do not understand your concern.  Doesn't the remaining legacy of Dave [i.e., number of franchises] speak for itself?

And serenity?  I caught it...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Wendy’s

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary