navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Anti-Status Quo
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Anti-Status Quo Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2006-11-08 02:50 AM

I'm going to be very honest here, and tell you all I don't know for sure what that means.

"What I would like is for you all to share your wisdom with me, and for funsies, let's make it an essay question, and pretend I look like this:

"Now boys and girls, using our indoor voices, let's define for Auntie Serenity what that means, okay? Keep it on topic and under two hundred words, k?"

(Ya'll just go ahead and type--I'm still pretending I look like that.)

OH.

So are you! ...Hmmm...

(so am I, actually...)

But I would like to know what ya'll think.

Just what IS the anti-status quo?

(Nod. Let's just pretend I didn't give a graphic example)

© Copyright 2006 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2006-11-08 10:24 AM

wouldn't that be anything substantially opposing the current state of "things." i suppose it can be generalized to a global state of affairs or brought down to a more individual level or anywhere in between.

sorry - i was trying to think of a clever response, but am really not at status-quo level (which is typically witty enough to at least make myself laugh)

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
2 posted 2006-11-08 11:54 AM

The way things are currently..

as in..."The status quo was certainly upset last night."  *snicker*

An anti-status quo?

hmmmmm

Opposition to the way things are?  Opposite of the way things are?  I wonder if that means that by being anti-status quo you have already done away with the status quo and now the anti-status quo is the new status quo.

Sure.  Depends on whether we are speaking micro or macro maybe?

*shrug*  love you and that brain of yours so muchly lady.

*bigfatkiss*  

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2006-11-08 03:29 PM

whoopee, Suze--we just made a Christopher sandwich.

Just like old times, eh C?

I was wondering who would show up for "class".

*smooches* to both of you.

I'll quit dreaming of being blonde and go drool over condominiums.

I figger the chances of either becoming a reality are about equal.

Love ya both!

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2006-11-08 03:30 PM

Anti-status quo, if you took the origin of status quo back to it's diplomatic roots, would mean a state of war.

However there is a common modern usage, especially in voting systems, where anti-status quo means that you aren't exactly for the challengers so much as against the status quo the incumbent represents. In short your preference for change is greater than your preference for any candidate\party in particular.

Then again it could just mean pro-change

BTW I thought you DID look like that!

C

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2006-11-08 03:37 PM

You did? Laughing here..in our dreams, c.

And shaking my head--these terminologies they come up with, I don't think anybody really thinks about 'em.

I just kept hearing it, and everytime I was like, "huh"?

so thanks

And btw? there is a brand new big fat blotchy picture of me ready to be uploaded, a chore my addled brain can't seem to handle. *ahem* to administrators and others...???

This time I didn't paint the blotches blue.

horned rimmed glasses too

my official anti-status photo.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
6 posted 2006-11-08 04:12 PM

I love me a sammich...

I saw the new pic Karen...it's nice...I don't see splotches!!

and I love the glasses...

If my eye doctor wasn't of the mind that my time isn't worth anything, I might have gotten me some cool horn rimmed glasses....

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2006-11-08 04:54 PM

To be able to post a pithy reply, I thought I should confirm my idea of what status quo is before I talk about his auntie.

Ok…it’s a rock band in the UK?
http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

I’m not opposed to rock bands…nor am I opposed to the UK (quite the opposite as I am an unabashed Anglophile).

Looking further…Wikipedia describes it

quote:

Status quo is a Latin term meaning the present, current, existing state of affairs. To maintain the status quo is to keep things the way they presently are. Compare it with status quo ante, meaning "the state of things as it was before.

Well…MY particular status quo is ok..though I do get tired sometimes (ok most every night I drop into bed). Anti that? Nope sorry…can’t say I’d like to have any part of an anti-status quo in my personal life.

To let you know what it is…I have 15 month old twin grandsons. Josh and Sam. Except for two nights a week, I go over to see them every day after work and by noonish on Sat. and Sun. Too much? Let me explain….Josh runs to me and holds his arms up to be picked up. If Sam tries to sit on my lap or get my attention, Josh yells. NO one can have his grandma!! Sam and I have special games we play when Josh is out of the room. For some reason Sam loves to sit at the edge of the rug (5’ x 8’) and pull the corner up and let it slap down on the tile floor. He then turns to Grandma who (like an idiot but hey, I started the game) says ‘boink!’. He does this over and over and over. The other game we play is after dinner while we wait for the others to finish, Sam will get a brightly colored placemat to play with. He’s found that Grandma makes funny sounds with this too. I taught him to put his hands on it and move it around on the table while I say ‘zoom zoom zoom’. His face lights up and he laughs and laughs….(I’ve been known to be pretty silly in my life but since I’ve been around the twins I’ve gone downhill!)

Anti that? No way.

I would like to have an anti-status quo about my writing though. I miss it. I miss the rush of feeling that I’ve written something worthwhile. Something that would make someone smile or cry. Sigh…..I miss that…

So no resolution in my answer – except that I’m usually Anti anyone who is anti something. Everyone has a right to be pro something.

Right now? I’m pro-pizza. Sure sounds like a good idea for dinner!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2006-11-08 06:36 PM

To me, the anti status-quo is whistling underwater.....or having a wedding in a roller-skating rink!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2006-11-08 09:02 PM

Basically, it's all sound-bites and slogans.  Anyone still remember the chants of 'Don't trust anyone over 30!'?  Anyone still remember when those chanters were over 30 and the slogan changed to 'Don't trust anyone under 30!'?  Same thing.  The anti status quo becomes the status quo engaged in quid pro quo to the lobbyists in what Speaker Pelosi hopes will be 'the most ethical Congress' in American history.  Should be fun for all ages, especially if they bring back the golden days of catcalls and fisticuffs.

I think I've been watching too much British Parliment.

I do congratulate the Dems on their big win in D.C. and in many state governorships.  Bring on the gridlock, since they don't have a veto-proof House or Senate.  If nothing else, my small ETF investments can only grow.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Anti-Status Quo

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary