navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Jill Carroll Bashing
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Jill Carroll Bashing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2006-04-01 02:38 AM

Christian Science Monitor journalist Jill Carroll, who was kidnapped in Baghdad on January 7, 2006 by a group affliated with the insurgents in Iraq known as the "Brigades of Vengeance", was released Thursday in front of a Sunni political party office after 82 days in captivity.

During the last two months, support was shown all across the world for Carroll's safety and release. The White House and Americans prayed for her. On February 5th in Rome, a giant poster of Carroll was hung on the city hall building in hopes of Jill's release. In Paris on February 7th, 30 white balloons were release to mark the 30 days of Carroll's captivity. The Council on American Islam Relations called for her release in the name of Islam.

CBS News: March 31, 2006

After her release Thursday, Carroll added, "It's important people know that I was not harmed," and criticized the continuing U.S military presence in Iraq.

Reuters: Thursday, March 30, 2006

Despite worldwide expressions of joy and relief of her release, and President Bush saying "Thank God!" and that he's "just really grateful she was released,", some media personalities have come out attacking her:

1) The National Review’s John Podhoretz

"It’s wonderful that she’s free, but after watching someone who was a hostage for three months say on television she was well-treated because she wasn’t beaten or killed — while being dressed in the garb of a modest Muslim woman rather than the non-Muslim woman she actually is — I expect there will be some Stockholm Syndrome talk in the coming days."

2) Bernard McGuirk, Executive Producer of "Imus In The Morning" Part I

MCGUIRK: She strikes me as the kind of woman who would wear one of those suicide vests. You know, walk into the — try and sneak into the Green Zone.

IMUS: Oh, no. No, no, no, no.

MCCORD: Just because she always appears in traditional Arab garb and wearing a burka.

MCGUIRK: Yeah, what’s with the head gear? Take it off. Let’s see.

MCCORD: Exactly. She cooked with them, lived with them.

IMUS: This is not helping.

MCGUIRK: She may be carrying Habib’s baby at this point.

IMUS: She could. It’s not like she was representing the insurgents or the terrorists or those people.

MCCORD: Well, there’s no evidence directly of that.

IMUS: Oh, gosh, you better shut up!

MCGUIRK: She’s like the Taliban Johnny or something.

Bernard McGuirk, Executive Producer of "Imus In The Morning" Part II

MCCORD: Put on 20 pounds while in captivity, yeah.

MCGUIRK: And why do we suspect?

IMUS: Well, why do you suspect?

MCGUIRK: She’s carrying Zarqawi’s baby. No doubt about it.

IMUS: Man, you are a such a, you’re a…

MCGUIRK: Did you hear her comments yesterday? She’s wearing the terrorist headgear. And everything points to that.

MCGUIRK: She’s Taliban Janie, this girl. Taliban Jill or whatever.

IMUS: That’s a little strong don’t you think.

MCGUIRK: I don’t think so. Well except for the fact that she seems overly sympathetic. There’s something wrong. Something stinks.

3) Orrin Judd

"May as well just come right out and say she was a willing participant."

From what I understand, Carroll hasn't at all been praising her captors as enlightened freedom fighters or friends or anything of that sort. She's merely saying she's just been wearing a headscarf and letting people know that she wasn't harmed.

I happen to respect Carroll in showing some class since her release and handling the adversities she went through maturely and without bitterness. Sadly, these personalities almost seem to believe she hasn't had enough; they want her to be in captivity longer and in more grave conditions until she says all they hope to hear about what it's like to be a captive.

I just find these vitriolic accusations saddening.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2006 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2006-04-01 06:43 AM

I agree with your thoughts, Noah, but find it sad that you have to conclude with "these personalities from the right". I confess I seldom watch Imus because his brand of thought doesn't appeal to me but I have never heard him referred to as a right wing spokesman or personality. He has a history of crudeness and irreverence over many topics, not unlike Stern. You take a decent thread and then label it just another bash post with your closing commentand extend it past him to "these peresonalities". That's too bad....
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2006-04-01 09:58 AM

I agree with you, Noah, as well as Balladeer.  You had it right and fine down to the end, when you alluded to those two nutjobs being major political spokespeople.  It's like saying Michael Savage represents Texas in all things, when he's just a guy who owns his own radio station so he says whatever is on his mind.  Very very very rarely will I actully agree with anything he says...almost as rarely as I actually listen to him.  (Some times I have little choice, as Mom is addicted to yack radio.)
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2006-04-01 02:41 PM

No, both of you are right here. I should have been more specific about who was attacking her, and I agree I may have made it seem I generalized too much here, and take that back.

Mind you that there are established right-wing columnists and personalities that have come to Carroll's defense. Andrew Sullivan even thought "JPod" was out of control:

1) Andrew Sullivan: March 30, 2006

"Prayers were answered. JPod is beyond help."

Many other personalities have simply just expressed praise and relief for her release and keeping all these suspicions and accusations out of it, which I find most honorable.

So I apologize if I made it seem earlier this was the position the right was making in general. I don't believe that is the case and it is just random personalities who are beyond partisan who are attacking her, perhaps because while she's indeed not glorifying the terrorists/insurgents and does condemn such violence, she also is trying to look beyond the black-and-white mindset and see that we are all human beings with our differences in beliefs and customs and such, but essentially we all bleed the same and in recognizing that it truly is difficult supporting any sort of fighting no matter who you are.

I believe this sort of humanizing of those who are different from us, even radically different, is possible without appeasing the terrorists, and perhaps that's why McGuirk and Goldberg and JPod and a few others have taken the offense on her; they feel any sort of humanizing effort appeases the terrorists and such.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2006-04-01 04:55 PM

March 31:

(CBS/AP) American reporter Jill Carroll's three-month hostage ordeal ended Thursday when she was left on a Baghdad street in front of a Sunni political party office. She appeared composed and eager to talk about her 82 days held captive in a tiny room.

"It's important people know that I was not harmed," she said.

The 28-year-old freelancer for The Christian Science Monitor said her kidnappers confined her to a small, soundproof room with frosted windows but treated her well.

Although the captors issued televised threats to kill of the 28-year-old journalist if U.S. forces did not release female prisoners, Carroll said she felt safe.

"I was kept in very good small safe place, a safe room, nice furniture; they gave me clothing plenty of food. I was allowed to take showers, go to the bathroom when I wanted. Very good — (they) never hit me, never even threatened to hit me," Carroll said emphatically in the Baghdad Television interview.

April 1:

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany - Former hostage Jill Carroll strongly disavowed statements she had made during captivity in
Iraq and shortly after her release, saying Saturday she had been repeatedly threatened.

In a video, recorded before she was freed and posted by her captors on an Islamist Web site, Carroll spoke out against the U.S. military presence. But Carroll said the recording was made under threat. Her editor has said three men were pointing guns at her at the time.

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed," she said in a statement read by her editor in Boston.

"Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not."

"At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times," she said. "Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: That I refused to travel and cooperate with the U.S. military and that I refused to discuss my captivity with U.S. officials. Again, neither is true."

So it appears by her own words, Noah, that her comments criticizing the military were made under duress and not an accurate representation of her feelings.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2006-04-01 05:12 PM

Yeah, I just caught this update.

Here's the complete transcript of her address:

Jill Carroll Statement: Ramstein Airbase, Germany

"I'm so happy to be free and am looking forward to spending a lot of time with my family. I want to express my deep appreciation to all the people who worked so long and hard for my release. I am humbled by the sympathy and support expressed by so many people during my kidnapping.

In the past few days, the US military and officials have been extremely generous, and I am grateful for their help. Throughout this ordeal, many US agencies have committed themselves to bringing me safely home.

My colleagues at The Christian Science Monitor have worked ceaselessly to secure my release, and worked with security consultants to do so. Many other news organizations, both inside and outside of Iraq, as well as many officials from Iraq and other countries, worked hard to bring about my freedom.

So many people around the world spoke out on my behalf.

Thank you, all of you.

During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me they would let me go if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. I agreed.

Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends--and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release--through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this.

I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times.

Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: That I refused to travel and cooperate with the US military and that I refused to discuss my captivity with US officials. Again, neither is true.

I want to be judged as a journalist, not as a hostage. I remain as committed as ever to fairness and accuracy--to discovering the truth--and so I will not engage in polemics. But let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes.

Now, I ask for the time to heal. This has been a taxing 12 weeks for me and my family. Please allow us some quiet time alone, together."

Just thank God she's safe again!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2006-04-01 07:48 PM

I'm proud of her for doing whatever she had  to do, to stay alive and be able to come home.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Jill Carroll Bashing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary